“Mediocre hotel and rooms at a high price” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #34 of 149 Hotels in Denver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Mediocre hotel and rooms at a high price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I have stayed in several hotels in the downtown area, and can say that the Teatro is mediocre in comparison to other hotels in this price range and even ones that are in a lower price range. We decided to try it out on a Friday night, using a Sniqueaway voucher which actually was not really a great deal anyway ($120 a night when I have seen these rooms for about $150). We were given a Queen room with a bed that must be a new take on what a Queen bed is, because it was much smaller than what I would consider that. We were on the 3rd floor in a room facing a red wall and the the roof that holds the huge air conditioning unit. If this is what you get for a small price reduction from buying a Sniqueaway prepaid deal (which I bought a few months in advance), then I would rather pay full price and have a better room. the TV also did not work and the reception kept coming in and out so we shut it off.
We tried out the hotel bar, Prima, when we got back from being out in Denver. For a place that is trying to be old fashioned and classy, it was lacking in the service department. The bartender did not say a word to us other than to say that they do not have a drinks menu, but only a wine list, and later on when we asked for a Scotch menu, he once again did not have that and started reading the prices of them off his register. A few minutes later he was telling the waiters the prices of the wine per glass because other people were asking at the tables about the prices (not sure why they were not given the before mentioned wine list). Either way, we had our drinks and quickly left. At a place that is positioning itself as high end, I'd expect a drink menu or at least some personality from the bartender. Maybe we didn't look dressed up enough to get this treatment, who knows
Overall, the hotel is centrally located with average sized and furnished rooms, with a hotel bar I would recemmend giving a miss. Definitely ask for a higher up floor that is not facing the back where you have a good chance of looking at a wall.

Room Tip: A higher floor and get a King room if you can- very small Queen rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

We were there for business---two of us----two rooms----I would encourage anyone wanting to stay in downtown Denver to stay here!!!!great for business and, I would think, great for romance-----not a glitzy hotel with a huge lobby, etc. but a wonderful boutique type hotel---the rooms were wonderful---great beds, fridge, granite, etc.-----I heard the restaurant is sensational in the hotel---I did not eat there---but I did eat twice in the bar and the food was great and reasonably priced---we entertained clients in the bar area and it was perfect---we also rented a small meeting room downstairs and it worked out perfectly---the staff was perfect---from the bellmen to the desk staff to Jeremy, our meeting room manager---waiters,etc.----

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed recently at Hotel Teatro and took our dog with us. He is by no means an easy dog, and I was worried that he would cause a problem on the trip. On the contrary, things couldn't have gone smoother! The hotel staff was incredibly helpful and accommodating, and helped us solve all of the situations that could have potentially become annoyances by having a dog with us. The room was lovely and clean and the hotel is located in a perfect spot for exploring Denver's great downtown area. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2012
Johnstown, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

second stay and have always had great service, staff very helpful.
bathroom sink was plugged and rapid fix within an hour after reporting.
great bedtime turndown service
convenient to all activities in downtown denver

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We needed a one night stay in Denver on our return journey and we had been completely underwhelmed by the airport hotels on the way out. We drove around Denver looking for a decent hotel and had a short-list from the internet. The Four Seasons was rammed (the Steelers were in town) and they were staying at the Sheraton so we avoided that too. We found the Teatro directly opposite the Four Seasons.
The first thing that struck us about the Teatro were the three guys at the valet desk on the street at 7pm - there was a small blizzard picking up and they were all out there mustered by their Bell Captain - smiling, helpful and welcoming. At reception, the delightful young ladies gave us a great rate and we were escorted to a terrific room - huge tub, massive shower and twin basins, free wifi, much needed drinks served to us in the room, the mattress toppers were exceptional and sooooo comfortable - then we discovered that we had stumbled upon an exceptional restaurant as well -Kevin Taylor was not a name I knew but the food was excellent - we were tired after travelling and opted for the Cafe rather than main restaurant but the food and service were excellent.
Next day we had a little time to shop but needed a cowboy hat - nothing was too much for these guys - our Bell Captain drove us to Rockmount - just perfect wall to wall ranch wear, waited for us and brought us back making the whole morning relaxed and enjoyable rather than a last minute rush. Oh and what a wine selection - some seriously good wines tucked away in the basement.
Unexpectedly terrific? We had no expectations but this hotel excelled on so many levels. People make such a difference to a hotel. These guys all cared about their jobs and us!!
I would recommend this to everyone.

Room Tip: Its actually an old postal office of some sort - so look for the vaults and walk in safe!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
St Maarten-St Martin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I booked a night here on hotwire, so I was surprised that I got a great deal on a room, at a great hotel across from the Four Seasons.

Genuinely friendly door staff, outgoing helpful desk staff, world class dining, etc.

Really comfortable room, great bed linens, modern, nicely furnished bathroom with tub + shower, and nice amenities.

Because of a snow storm, I had to stay an extra night, and they were able to get me the low rate I had received on hotwire.

Close to entertainment, dining and some really cool bars, the location is just right.

I did not use parking, it was $24 extra.

I look forward to my next visit to the Teatro.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here twice so far and every time it is fantastic. Both times we have also done a meal at Kevin Taylor and the wine pairings are amazing. Then all you have to do is stagger to the elevator and your back in your room. They will also shuttle you to and from Coors field in a hybrid Yukon Denali for free. Can't beat it! My wife loves the bathrooms and tubs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Teatro? Share your experiences!