“Halfway House - not Hostel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Melbourne International Hotel & Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denver
Melbourne International Hotel & Hostel
You added Melbourne International Hotel & Hostel to your Saves list
607 22nd St., Denver, CO 80205 (Five Points)   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Specialty Lodging in Denver
rateit123
“Halfway House - not Hostel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

I got the feeling that this place is for people that have no where else to go. Many of the long-term tenants are drug addicts or have mental illness. This would be tolerable because I visited Denver to see the sights - not hang around the hostel, but there is a long-term tenant in the woman's dorm that continually talks about how she dislikes the hostel, and "doesn't know what she has done to deserve this life." It was impossible to go home in the evening and expect any quiet from her. The hostel manager could not crack a smile if his life depended on it - which adds to the dreary feeling of the place.

As far as the hostel itself - it is clean with a nice shower. There is free Internet, and it's walking distance to downtown and many attractions. The only reason that I was able to stay is because I lucked out and got a great roommate I could laugh things off with. I’d recommend this place for a very short-term stay, or a trip jam-packed with activities so you will not have to spend much time in the hostel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New Westminster
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I stayed at this dump for two nights before I stayed at my friend's hotel. It is disgusting inside. People smoked inside. The hotplate didn't work. The rooms are ugly. The hallways are dingy. This is easily the worst place that I have ever stayed.

The neighbourhood outside wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible - being from Vancouver, I've certainly seen way worse areas (Downtown Eastside). At the same time, it's best to be careful at night in this area - nothing happened to me but be careful.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
redding, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

early this month i stayed two nights in a private room.
even though the hostel is not part of hi/ayh, they gave me a discount because i am a member.
yes, the nieghborhood is not the best, but i never was hit up for money by street people as i had been a few years ago when i stayed at the Melbourne the first time.
i walked from the train station with my bike the first night.
they let me keep my bike in the lobby during the day when they were open.
it was a bit of a climb getting it up the stairs at night.
the lobby does close at 9 pm, so if you are arriving on the train from the west, you should hope that it will arrive by its schedualed arrival time.
they very generously let me have the $10 key deposit back the night before i left;
trusting me to leave the key as my train left at 8 am and the office opens at 9 am.
i didn't use the kitchen, but it seemed adequately equiped.
there is a small refridgerator in each of the private rooms, at lest there was in mine.
i never turned it on to know if it worked.
unless you can't do stairs, i recommend it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

It's a good place to stay. I had a great time there cause I met another brazilians and nice people too. The neighbordhood could be dangerous at night cause the streets are dark but at day everything's good. And it's pretty near to downtown where you can find a lot of places to shop, eat and have some fun. Just take a private dorm and you gonna be fine. Bathrooms and dorms are clean and the kitchen has some things that could be useful to you... I think that's it, if you are looking for a cheap place to spend one or two nights it's a good option.

• Liked — Price and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Neighborhood
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

I have stayed in many hostels, and never had a bad experience. Until now.

Here's a rundown of the problems with the Melbourne Hostel:

1. Site advertised private bathrooms. There were no private bathrooms.

2. I told them that my collegue would be arriving the next day. I gave them her name. They said that they would give her an extra set of keys when she arrived. They did not do this--instead, they made her wait for hours, until I arrived back at the hostel.

3. This was the clincher: They changed the front-entry locks WITHOUT NOTIFYING ANY OF US! One day our keys worked, and the next, they did not. I tried to buzz the manager--they answered, said that they were closed, and hung up. Additional attempts to contact them were ignored. So I was left, at 10 p.m. at night, sobbing and unable to enter my (relatively expensive) hostel. I had to wait until someone happened to come outside, thus allowing me to enter.

4. The neighborhood is somewhat sketchy. We witnessed drug deals on the corner. And there's a bus station directly next to the hostel, so it was noisy at all hours of the night.

• Liked — It was conveniently located.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

This hostel is the cheapest that I've seen in the US: $16 with hostel international or student card, and $19 without, and $3 linen rental. It's not an HI hostel --- they just accept HI membership for a discount. The inside is okay: bunkbeds, bathroom, fridges, microwave and electric plug-in burner are all adequate. Not spic and span, but just fine. What is sketchy is the neighborhood and the fact that this is a cash-only business. They take a $10 cash deposit for keys and sheets, and office is open at 7 am, so you can't get it back unless you leave after 7 am. A bus company operates right outside the hostel, apparently between here, Chihuahua, Kansas City, and El Paso, according to the sign outside.

When I arrived at the hostel at 8:30 pm, there were literally 50 people gathered on the sidewalk outside, and I had to mince around their suitcases and even a baby carrier and ask someone to move so I could open the front door. The buses start just before 5 am, which I know because they were right underneath my window. One morning at 4:30 am before the buses arrived, there were two men having a heated discussion for the next 30 minutes.

The area's safety is hard to gauge. It's pretty desolate and while close to downtown is clearly outside downtown --- the 4 or so blocks past the big buildings feel really long if you're walking late at night as a woman.

The hostel describes itself as conveniently located next to the light rail, which it is, but that means that you hear a bell clanging right past your window every 10 minutes starting around 4:30 or 5 am, especially in the summer when the windows are open, which they have to be because there's no AC. The lack of AC is actually perfectly fine --- I was here when the daytime temperatures were in the 90s and yet it got cool at night, so sleeping was comfortable.

That said, I don't regret staying here. I wake up early anyhow, and I had someone to walk me back both nights I stayed. People should definitely know these things before they make plans to stay here, though.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

For $28.50, including tax, I stayed in a secure, clean room with a ceiling fan, a sink, and a comfortable bed. The assistant manager was pleasant and helpful, allowing me to print my airline boarding pass the morning of departure. She also runs the cafe downstairs where I enjoyed a fresh cup of coffee and bagel. The guests were quiet and respectful, and except for some crazy wee-hour taxi hubris at the corner, I had a peaceful night's rest.

• Liked — Price, location, safety
  • Disliked — Old carpeting and room rug
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Melbourne International Hotel & Hostel? Share your experiences!