“A long review, but will clearly illustrate why this place is so terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North

You added Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4885 S. Quebec St., Denver, CO 80237 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #94 of 148 Hotels in Denver
Central New York
“A long review, but will clearly illustrate why this place is so terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I travel to Denver all the time and have stayed at 2 other Homestead Suites in the area (Cherry Creek and Tech Center South). While nothing fancy, at least they were clean and safe with the items they state they provide (i.e., basic cookware, microwave). So I thought it would be great to stay at this particular one with the Light Rail Station (Bellevue) directly in front for my Broncos games, going downtown, etc. Seemed like a good plan and I got a great rate as a government employee despite it being a vacation trip. I booked a handicap accessible room through the Extended Stay website.

Pros: The location was great for the Light Rail and super easy on-easy off to I-25 and very close to I-225.

Cons: Everything else.

Gratefully, I am a little neurotic on cleanliness so I had Lysol wipes and always sleep on TOP of the bed after laying my own bedsheet down and then use my own sleeping bag, pillows and camp towels no matter where I am staying - could be a Hilton - they have problems too, but nothing like this place. This place is what Dateline and 20/20 specials are made of.

I was also going to be going camping for a couple of days during the trip so I had the cooking/eating things for that portion of the trip I needed with me too. Let me clearly, clearly, clearly state that if I had not brought Lysol wipes, my own linens and the camping supplies that I would have been up the creek big time. Thankfully I drove from Central New York and had plenty of room to bring these items.

Where should I start? Oh, let me state that I'm an above knee amputee. I'm active and able to go camping and all, but need to use a wheelchair at times and nothing is easy or convenient, not to mention it takes me much longer to accomplish tasks because of my disability. Not complaining - just the way it is. That may make the reader appreciate this review a little more as to staff quality.

1. The first room I was put in had a broken refrigerator. Good thing I went to get a yogurt a couple hours after arrival otherwise the $65 I spent for perishables would have been out the door. To remedy this I had to move my refrigerator items to a room a couple doors down since it was late. I was given keys to the second room so I could go get things if needed. OK, at least my groceries are good and we'll handle it in full in the morning - seemed reasonable enough. The next day I asked to have the refrigerator replaced since I had already settled in and unpacked for a 10 day stay. Nope - they wouldn't move the refrigerator even though it was only a couple of rooms away. THEY MADE A DISABLED WOMAN IN A WHEELCHAIR MOVE TO A DIFFERENT ROOM RATHER THAN MOVE THE REFRIGERATOR. THEY CHOSE TO INCONVENIENCE A GUEST RATHER THAN REMEDY THE PROBLEM PROPERLY. The maintenance guy helped me move my things, but I had already been settled in and he certainly wasn't going to settle my things back in, just dump them in the room. So there was a good 3 hours blown after a nearly 1800 mile drive in the days prior. I physically needed to rest, but instead got to re-settle my room again. I find it hard to believe that of all the properties owned by Extended Stay that none of them had a refrigerator dolly to move it. I'd think each property would have one.
2. Lamp shades in room I ultimately was in were in deplorable shape. Deformed, cracks on the inner portion, dirty. Just awful. Replaced about 3 days before I left.
3. No cookware/cookware utensils whatsoever - again, thank God I was camping and had the items I needed anyway. I wasn't expecting much - maybe a 3 qt. pot and a 10" frypan, a spatula and maybe a can opener.
3. No microwave whatsoever - I essentially demanded a staff member to go find one and bring it to me. No joke - it took him 30 minutes looking through empty rooms before he found one.
4. Rooms are supposed to have full table setting and utensils for 2 people. I had 2 cups, 1 plate, 1 steak knife and a spoon. That's it - again, good thing I was camping and had my mess kit to use.
5. No dishrack whatsoever - I suppose that doesn't matter if you're not giving someone tableware.
6. Towel rack was literally hanging off the right side of the wall as if someone had been hanging on it. While the maintenance guy was moving my things I had him fix this. The kitchen light had 1 of the 2 lights burned out - he replaced those too. As a tradesman's daughter there was no freaking way he was leaving until I had everything I identified repaired.
7. I have NEVER, EVER purchased a mop as a souvenir for a trip. Based on everything else I was experiencing I didn't feel too good about the floor. I also swung by the dollar store for some toilet bowl cleaner and toilet brush. Based on what I was discovering I had no faith whatsoever in their housekeeping staff.
8. I went to the lobby to ask for something and some woman was sloppily eating crackers and crumbs were everywhere. I made a comment and was told she's there all the time. I got what I needed, but went back for some quarters for laundry about 2 hours later - think anyone had cleaned up the crumbs all over the chair and floor? Nope.
9. While I realize that these types of places may have people staying there for several weeks, it appeared that this was being used as social services transitional housing from what I could tell. How could I tell you ask? I'm a licensed master social worker so it was a pretty easy call to make. These were not people temporarily staying while relocating to another place - some had been there for months and months, like the woman with all the crumbs. I can't begin to tell you how many beer bottles I found near my Jeep in the parking lot. Thank God it wasn't vandalized or damaged during my stay. I know people need assistance and a place to stay at times, but it seems the trend all over the country is to set people up in hotels for extended periods of time. I'm not happy with that as a taxpayer. I'm inclined to think that this was the reason most of the things that should have been in there (i.e., microwave, cookware, dishrack) were not. When leaving many of these "guests" take things with them, something confirmed by the hotel manager I had a very lengthy talk with.

I took pictures of all the problems I described above with my iPod Touch and showed it to the manager. He clearly stated there was no reason my room should have been like that and apologized. Being an assertive person by nature of my profession, I told him I wanted to be considerably compensated for this nightmare, especially as a disabled guest who was highly inconvenienced - I was given 3 free nights. I tactfully did this by having him go into a side room to talk and clearly told him that if there was a decent housekeeping staff there that these would not likely have developed into problems. If I were a housekeeper and saw a rack CLEARLY hanging off a wall I'd let the maintenance person or manager know about it so it could be repaired - how hard is that?!?! I'd say that if good housekeepers were working there that about 85% of my concerns wouldn't have even existed since they could have been addressed as the problems arose.

Why didn't I leave, you ask? Tempted, to be sure. Well, after I addressed everything quite tactfully, yet assertively, with the manager my stay was a decent enough one. I told the manager I didn't want any housekeeping in my room since they don't do their work anyway. I had already cleaned the room to my cleanliness standards. So since I had the maintenance guy do all the repair work my room needed and cleaned it on my own I then felt the room met basic standards. But should anyone have to go through all of this?

I kid you not when I tell you that this experience was a very significant one in my decision to purchase a brand new small travel trailer to use for my trips rather than risk staying at a place like this. At least I know the housekeeping staff working in my travel trailer. Dateline and 20/20 don't do expose specials based on a single bad hotel. This place is the poster child for those specials.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Adrian S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that your stay was less than favorable, Broken refrigerators and towel racks that are improperly installed are not acceptable, as well as the cleanliness issues. This is in no way a indicator of how we run this property. To prevent this from happening again, my team has undergone further training and we have implemented additional procedures to ensure maintenance issues are taken care of in a timely manner. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback and I invite you to contact me at dtc@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Buffalo, Wyoming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I should have known at check in that this was a disaster. The help at the front desk insisted on charging my credit card even though it was prepaid online (Yahoo!Travel). The room was absolutely filthy. The bathroom floor was wet from a leak in the toilet supply line, the fan hood in the bathroom was barely hanging from the ceiling by one screw, the tub was dirty and the drain was plugged with who knows what. The kitchen was disgusting, beds were old, rickety, and very uncomfortable. The door safety latch was broken and the regular latch would not hold and anyone could push the door open without a key if the deadbolt was not used. It sounded like a wrestling match was going on in the room above us all night, and someone decided to have a phone conversation outside of our room at 2:30 in the morning. This place has "crack den" written all over it! The "manager" was not available to take care of the issues and we ended up checking out early. As of this time, he still has not credited my card or contacted me. STAY AWAY!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Adrian S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so disappointed there were so many issues. Please accept my sincere apology. In response to your feedback, I am going to do what I can to keep this hotel more secure and take care of the room issues before you check in. Please know we do appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at stulper@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town. If there's anything else we can do please don't hesitate to ask.
Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here in October 2012. The room was very dirty. No one cleans the tops of stove hood, refrigerator, shower tiles. They leave one packet of dishwashing detergent (no dishwasher) and the sink does not have any way to hold water. They trust that the patrons will do the dishes. The cupboards are lined with dirt, too. Cleanliness of dishes is suspect. Every time a toilet is flushed on all four sides the sound is heard. Same for the shower. Noise level is high through all walls. I hope we don't get sick. We arrived late and didn't notice the filth until the next morning. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Adrian S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The issues you described are not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I will be coaching our team personally. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at dtc@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

So we arrived here late (around 1am - saw a concert before coming here) after booking a room on an Expedia-affiliated app. Upon arriving, the clerk said he didn't have our reservation and that every room was booked except a handicap-only room, which could only be rented to people proven to be handicapped. Since we had a reservation and a confirmation number (which he did look up and found), i explained that since we paid for the room, we should get whatever he had available, even if it was the handicapped room. He did whatever he did and got us the room. Afterwards, it took about 10 minutes of fumbling around to get everything in order, nevermind that he almost forgot to give us a room key. Once we got into our non-smoking, handicap-only room, I smelled smoke. We checked the room out and noticed that not only did the bathroom have ONLY one bar of soap (uhhh, shampoo? Thought that was standard), but it wasn't exactly up to snuff as far as handicap-accessible goes. I'm not handicapped but manuevering into the shower while trying to close the door was a chore, not to mention most handicap showers that I know of aren't a bathtub! Regarding the beds...gee golly! The floor has more give than the stiff boards they call beds. On a final note, our A/C didn't shut off. At all. No matter what buttons you press, no more how much you change the temperature, no matter how much you nudge and yell at it, the thing still pushes out freezing air. We had to use the never-changed comforter to cover the vent all while trying to remain warm under the sheet of kleenex that was the bedding. Somehow I'm awake enough to type this after sleeping all of about an hour all night from being frozen from the A/C and cramped from the oh-so-comfy bed that I wish to own someday. And yes, I'm rolling my eyes.

• Stayed August 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at our hotel.  Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty.  Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Our hotel prides itself on exceptional customer service. We know that you have many lodging choices in our area, so we see it as our duty to go the extra mile however we can. Not only is this my personal belief, but it is a guiding principle at our hotel. I have, therefore, reviewed with each staff member the importance of being courteous and coming to the immediate aid of every one of our guests, no matter the circumstances.

Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Have been staying here off/on for 3 years. Great location, easy access to business areas and great dining options. Friendly and courteous staff...WIFI that works! Safe and peaceful location with clean grounds. Will keep staying here when in town!

Room Tip: I'm partial to the building across from the main office, on the left as you drive into the Suite...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel.  We are totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment.  We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month.  It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other brand locations.
Nashville, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Good location and low rate, but the low rate is for a reason. Service is terrible, police is there almost every day. The rooms are filled with bed bugs and mold in the bathrooms. We asked to be moved to another room and were told they are all the same.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west are better, stay away from rooms facing light rail, that is where the police is al...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review about our hotel.  Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post.  Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I am grateful for this opportunity to respond to your remarks. Please believe that our hotel has a firm commitment to professional and warm guest service. We strive to teach our staff to be appropriate in both appearance and action. Clearly, there was a break down in our training in your situation, so I have brought your concerns directly to the attention of each of our employees so that we can prevent a recurrence of the incident you had.

The experience you had while staying with us, is not one that we would consider normal under any circumstances. With that in mind, I want to say I am sorry that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests feedback and use it to help us improve. It would be great if you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other of our brand locations in the future.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed in this dump after I had no choice,due to fires in colorado. After spending 325.00 for the week. They said I owed them another 30.00 for stayiny too long. What part of 7 days do they not understand? The room was disgusting. Tried to get my money back after one day and they said I would have to wait for a check in about 3 weeks. Hmmm.... since my house burned down,where do I get it sent to. IDIOTS!!!!! I asked to get the bathroom lights fixed 3 times. I was told they didnt have any light bulbs. PUHLEASE!!!! There was trash just dumped at the bottom of the stairs for 4 days. Asked to have it removed. Guess what it didn,t move for 2 more days. Then when it did they left the remants of it all over the place. The laundry room is the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! RUN AWAY AND RUN FAST

Room Tip: Do not stay in this dump
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Extended Stay America - Denver - Tech Center - North? Share your experiences!