“Awesome, ecclectic place” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1820 E. Colfax Ave., Denver, CO 80218   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Denver B&B and Inns
“Awesome, ecclectic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We were so well looked after when we booked in last minute to stay at this gorgeous BnB. The owner was so accommodating and our room was comfortable, beautifully decorated and had everything we needed! We loved the artwork and amazing clothing! Breakfast was generous and delicious and we would definitely stay here again! Thanks so much! Great value for an inexpensive night in Denver.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The ‘Holiday Chalet - A Victorian B&B’ sounds great, and it should be great. It’s good value, the location is conveniently close to Cheesman Park, the botanical gardens and the science/nature museum, and the room we got (a free upgrade) was clean and large; it had a kitchenette and a great bathroom.

Unfortunately the place suffered from some really hard to ignore issues which spoiled the experience of staying in a ‘Victorian’ hotel. We were pleased to escape. The welcome was bizarre – the staff seemed either unwilling (or unable) to engage with us. Mono-syllabic and slow is not what I’m used to when it comes to greeting guests. It was a little like talking to a heavily medicated patient in a hospital. We had to help them work out the bill – had to remind them (insist) we pre-paid – had to work out where the breakfast was.

Room wise, the TV reception was poor – about half the channels didn’t work. The central heating (authentic Victorian city-supplied steam heating) made the radiators & pipes bang away for 30 minutes at 5am in the morning. If the room was cold there was no obvious way to heat it before 5am.

The breakfast area was cluttered and messy. Three slices of bread by the toaster (at least six guests). No jam/jelly (luckily we had our own). One choice of cereal. They did offer a cooked breakfast, and I think that would have been best in retrospect. They just didn’t seem well set up for continental style breakfasts. A pretty intimidating person ready to take orders was reading the paper on the table we ate at – not a welcoming atmosphere. When we sat down he stood in the corner and looked over us. The toaster and the cluttered table shared space with a paper from the previous week. We ate quickly and left...

Room Tip: Avoid the large room facing Colfax with the kitchen - the heating bangs like a demented drummer at 5...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I lived in Denver, but had to stay here a few nights while I transitioned out of my apartment and moved out of town. I had a very good experience here. I stayed on the top floor and the room was very cozy. The staff was really nice, and their dog Clem is a sweetheart! Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to have their breakfast.

If your are from out-of-town, keep in mind that this is located on a very lively street in Denver, called Colfax Ave. It's very ecclectic and has a ton of restaurants, bars, little shops and great music venues within walking distance. The Ogden and The Fillmore are very close. Those who are afraid of the city and all that it attracts shouldn't stay here. Also, seeing as it's in the heart of town, it is pretty noisy, but not to the point where I couldn't sleep.

In terms of location, this is about as good and as close as you can get to the action!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Woodland Park, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The rooms are nothing special-in fact, there was a bad renovation, probably done in the nineteen-eighties, that removed much of the Victorian charm that I'm sure was present at one time. In our room there were holes in the walls that were quite creepy and unpleasant. The bathroom made me VERY uncomfortable as there was a GIANT glass block window in the shower that leaves you exposed from crotch to top of head. Felt like taking a shower outside. I HATED that. Also, there was mold all over the bathroom. That's simply inexcusable to me. The rest of the room was very dirty also.

A couple of other issues I had: they have a dog they call their "mascot" and apparently calling an animal that makes it okay for the animal to wander the entire hotel and leave its hair on absolutely everything. What made it more noticeable was that it was a dark dog and every surface in our bathroom was white. The bathroom was covered in hair.

Another major issue for me was that someone involved with the hotel (owner?) has a VERY high opinion of herself and our room was PLASTERED with pictures of this woman! Seriously? Like I want to spend my whole stay staring at photos of some strange woman living her life. Gah. Never again. Also, they used our room as a storage area for extra dishes, utensils, x-mas ornaments, whatever. We tried to find space to unpack our own stuff, but the room was packed with photos and sundry other unused items-no place for our stuff!

To top it off, our room was extremely drafty and freezing cold (middle of WINTER!) and there was no way for us to warm it up so we just had to suffer through the cold. I didn't find anything about this place charming. I was hoping to take my kids to a really neat old Victorian house as a new experience, but it had none of the Victorian charm left. It was just a run down, unkempt, falling apart great big nineteen-eighties house.

Oh, the neighborhood is also very bad, although it is quite close to attractions like the zoo and museum. We were accosted by bums and beggars everywhere we turned and it was rather scary being a woman with four kids. I would not stay here again.

The one positive thing I can say is that the breakfast was very good. In fact, the french toast was probably the best french toast I've ever had.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Marion, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Love the setting and feel of this place! When I walked in, I felt like I was in the musical "Meet Me in St. Louis." I actually checked in late which wasn't a problem for Crystal. She welcomed me with open arms and a smile! She also invited me to a late-night snack of homemade cookies if I was hungry which I definitely took advantage of! I stayed in the Great Gatsby room with all 1920s decor, which definitely set the mood. I also loved breakfast! Crystal was in the kitchen waiting for me with a huge pot of coffee and a menu full of options for breakfast. I could've eaten everything, but I went with pancakes as soon as she said "Cowboy Pancake!" I was like, "Bring it on!" This thing was awesome! Huge and thick topped with berries! Loved it! We chatted like old friends over coffee and carbs! :) Definitely going back when I visit Denver again! Thanks Crystal!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Holiday Chalet is divine and superior compared to any other B & B. This beautiful mansion as one of Denver’s leading B & B’s, is most certainly worth a visit. Why, you ask? Each room has a unique design and is extremely bright and colorful and floral. If you love flowers (most of us do), then Holiday Chalet is like a garden filled with bouquets. The owner Crystal Sharp’s taste will uplift your spirits and make you smile!

Crystal is a seamstress. So if your in a mood for taking your lady out somewhere and she feels swept away and forgot what to wear then do not worry dresses sell in downstairs in garden room front. She has jewelry, hats, and purses to boot!

Trying to impress your man or woman has never been easier in Crystal’s designer fitted sheets and comforters. Her beds are comfortable and flattering for any couple. Crystal’s mansion has socially accepted single men and woman whom come to enjoy eventing in Denver also. This is a great home!

You know what else is amazing about Crystal’s home? Mostly just that she is a humane soul and warrior. She caters to four legged creatures. She has a huge backyard for pets to play and frolic and sniff greenery. She also has pet treats for good little babies and food for an extra fee.

Another part of this enchantment was this… I literally could not keep my hands off Crystal’s secret recipe chocolate Chip Cookies… Yummm… Speaking of eating… Holiday Chalet’s morning breakfast was served on a plate of China and was covered in delicious Salmon Loc’s and Cream Cheese… Caper’s and all!

Ok… I know I have said a lot however, beautiful divinity rang when her morning cook, who was both attractive and smart served my breakfast. Crystal and her crew have stunning good looks and keep this B & B very handsome.

As for fame and fortune, her visitors both famous and nice, seemed ordinary and fun. This easy down to earth feel was a nice part of my morning… Blood and guts film makers, to rocks stars, to nation’s leading men’s girlfriends, medical doctor’s from Harvard, and some of Crystal’s friends made this really comfortable. I felt both prestigious and at home. I love when everyone turns out to be just normal folks. Crystal is so popular and decadent!!!

Lastly, Holiday Chalet felt like home and star transport. My room was clean. Everyone was friendly. I came back again this year and stayed here again and, had same type of experience as my first year. I love this place and will return again and again.

Room Tip: Room 23 is a great room!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

An amazing place to stay at: you will feel right at home and will never want to leave again. Great free breakfast - best pancakes & Quiche I've ever had. You'll have the choice between various fresh-from-the-stove dishes or simply toast or cereal in the morning. Snacks (homemade cookies and cakes) are available throughout the day. The owner is just the sweetest woman you'll ever come across and always has a smile on her face. Moreover, this place is stunningly decorated! Ever single piece of furniture seems to be picked out carefully.
Also, it's perfectly located in Downtown Denver. There is free parking if you're coming by car. Otherwise you'll find a bus stop just out front.
- Simply the best place to stay in the Denver area!!!

Room Tip: Take the King Suite on the third floor. It's quiet and has an amazing view of the Rockies if it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Chalet? Share your experiences!