“Conned” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Specialty Lodging in Denver
Toledo, Ohio
“Conned”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Booked through hostelbookers.com. Paid a small fee to hostelbookers with the rest to pay there plus tax. In total it should if been about 33d for 2 people. Me and the girlfriend. They Tried to confuse me with math and a board with prices at reception but I kept reverting to what was previously agreed online on the phone, but they basically said that's the price, Pay it or don't. Given big back packs and time of night we agreed to pay the extra 10d out of know where, things like a dollar for blankets. Then they separated us guy room and girl room, Again not what was agreed online. Then a homeless guy staying there robbed a guys laptop who actually worked there too the next morning. Many homeless low life visit the place it seems. For the same price, 15min walk, only 2 hostels in denver, nice clean room, 24h staff at recep unlike the 8 -10am and 5 - 9.30pm or something silly like that. This other hostel is actually a hostel. It may look like it's more expensive online when you compare the prices but it's not. It's the same price, because when you get here, they con you, and you can't get money back from hostelbookers nor complain to them as it seems and by the time reach the place, last thing on your mind is looking for another place. There's no sence staying here, trust me.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is not, I repeat NOT an International Youth Hostel. This is a Boarding House. If you are looking to meet other backpackers, good luck. Most folks staying here live here.

I show up and they're closed. I called the number and Dick came and opened it for me. One good thing about this place? Owners are nice if not criminally negligible.

The room: 10 bunks in only a couple hundred square feet. You have to walk sideways to get to the bathroom. Lets hope you don't get the bunk that is literally right next to the toilet. The top bunks have no ladders so good luck getting up there. You feel every spring so I recommend an extra blanket or a mattress pad if you are willing to travel with one.

Toilet and shower were both broken. You had to put your hand down the tank to flush the toilet. No water pressure in the shower, limited hot water and the faucet sprayed every which way soaking you and the bathroom with freezing water.

Gas leak, smelled it one night and freaked out.

My last night they double booked a bunch of people and they had to sleep in mattresses on the floor.

Sexually harassed by two guys that I think live at the hostel.

Wifi only sort of works in the basement. The only TV is down there and there is a bad mold smell.

Second night I was there two girls had a huge fight, screaming and crying in the halls and on the deck. One apparently has stabbed someone in the past?! She stole my key and I was too afraid to ask her for it.

Careful in this neighbourhood as well. Lots of intimidating folks on those sidewalks.

I think I am a pretty good traveller, I did SEAsia on a budget and didn't complain. I typically don't even write reviews like this but this was too bad not to!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I will include an edited version of an e-mail I just sent a good friend. I stayed at this hostel with mixed reviews 6 months previous and on my return trip I was very impressed. My room mate was very friendly as well.
"The gentleman who runs the place has cleaned it up and even put privacy hospital curtains around the bunk beds. No more "pests" and no more sulphide water. I would stay there again for sure. With the kitchen and shared bathroom and even computers in the lobby... Also the weekly price. I like it."
I see it as a work in progress so that is why I only give it 4 stars at this point.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

To tell the conclusion first, I like this guest house. It was not like American. I like the ivy covered wall, very old door, paticulary, I remember the rug was very old. I would like to go again.

• Stayed December 2011
Gallup, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

It's actually a converted apartment complex in the downtown-East side of Denver, and has off-street parking, which is a damn good thing because in Denver if you park anywhere ON the street you WILL get at least a $150 ticket no matter where you park, what near, what not-near, no matter what time of day it is, no matter what color the curb is or isn't, no matter what. They will FIND some little obscure non-enforceable law to "cite" you based on and they do expect you to pay it as in the ticket itself doesn't have any space for you to contest it like New York's did. That being said. Park OFF the street and in the hostel's parking lot and you will be OK. It's in a pretty quiet neighborhood, and each room-suite has a full kitchen which is equipped including dishes pots and pans for you to use. Some of them even come with washing up soaps and stuff like that, probably from the prior visitors who just leave things. Now, granted, I visited in the middle of the summer so the summer temperature was pretty unbearable for me but I hate hot weather so I have to take into account that for people who aren't heat-sensitive the temperature in the room would seem, actually, "breezy" because all the windows were open. Each room-suite holds 10 beds so there's going to be no agreeing whatsoever on whether to keep the windows and doors open or closed. Keep in mind things like that and it's actually the best hostel in Denver. If you just HAVE to be in Denver, that is. It was my other experiences there in Denver that made me want to tear up my Colorado teaching license application and keep going on my way to New Mexico. Not the hostel itself.

Room Tip: There aren't too many choices when you're female wanting the female dorm because I think the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Europe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Actually, I'd still feel bad for the homeless if they had to stay here should they manage to raise the $15p/d (which is quite feasible actually). I'd arrived from the airport in the evening and gone straight to this hostel which was an old red bricked former apartment building half covered in climbing ivy - very nice. The first guy I met at a messy reception seemed pretty depressed with life (turned out he actually shares the room I was in so I can't really blame him). On the plus side though, beside the rather useful Denver Museum of Bus Timetables they had two working internet PCs which were taken up by hostellers who were both engrossed in Facebook - this being the norm for hostels these days of course. Also, one of my room-mates appeared to have pretty fast internet on his laptop so I presume the hostel has a pretty decent wi-fi setup.

However, when I was taken to my room, the first thing that hit me when I walked into the room was the smell. I can't describe it exactly, but if you've been in the downtown area of a third world city on a summers afternoon with half-open sewers then you're getting there. The second was the filth on the walls which had been put on to keep the ancient feel of the place alive - original white or cream must be too modern. The bedsheets I'd been given were clean and the bunk bed was rather comfortable, but then I entered the bathroom. Nothing says 'enjoy your stay' like a toilet bowl with the base tastefully caked in a smelly brown layer. Such art takes months, perhaps years to make. This was below the crumbling roof, possibly held together by the spiderwebs which covered some of the gaping holes which is possibly why nobody's cleaned them off for a while. I was also quite impressed with the innovation shown by whoever replaced the missing plug-less sink / cabinet leg with a now-rotten phone-book rather than just getting a new half decent one. The best surprise came the next morning when I successfully managed to open the jammed shower door to find an arty yellow pool of... grime(? - let's just call it 'stuff') on the floor. This was soon forgotten about though after my unintentional cold shower. To be fair, it was piping hot the next morning although it didn't have that same intsant-wake-up effect as the previous day. Keep in mind that this was my first impression of Denver.

Once dried off, I was well out of there for the sake of my health, although I only had to walk 5 blocks or so to get to the free shuttle bus for the 16th St Mall to the location was pretty good actually. There were also a few shops just down a block on one of the main streets, Colfax. Despite it raining heavily while I wished I'd brought a hat, scarf and pair of gloves, that still wasn't enough to tempt me back to the hostel to relax in the warmth with one of my books I'd brought. Instead it forced to me to see beautiful Denver a bit more as I explored the bars and clubs instead (while pondering whether to just bite the bullet and move to other accomodation for my second night) so that was quite good actually. The second guy at reception I met on the other hand was really nice, helpful and informative to the point I thought he must have some sort of criminal record or something not to be doing this well in a nice hotel or the tourist information centre.

So in selective summary - cheap as chips, good internet facilities, comfy beds, great way to see Denver. If you like what you read here, go soon before the health inspector finds it and condemns the place.

My advice for the owners? : Get a new phonebook to replace the old one. There's bound to be a spare 2010/11 one kicking around somewhere. Also rename the place to something that doesn't contain the word 'Denver' so that this brilliant city can unofficially disown it, although even I'll admit the East 16th Avenue International Youth Hostel doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Sherbrooke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

The rooms weren't the best. The furniture, carpet, beds(and mattresses) were all very worn...however it was fairly clean. The visitors were friendly(I made a lot of great friends here in three days) and the staff were always willing to help.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Denver International Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!