“Huge Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comedy Works

Comedy Works
1226 15th Street, Denver, CO 80202 (Downtown)
+1 303-595-3637
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 145 Nightlife in Denver
Type: Comedy Clubs, Clubs
More attraction details
Owner description: Comedy Works has been Denver's premier destination for the very best in stand-up comedy since 1981. As one of the nation's true comedy landmarks, we routinely attract the country's top comedians. We also enjoy a strong reputation for developing new acts and fostering a talented base of local comedians. Many of our homegrown acts have become major forces in the national comedy scene, appearing on Comedy Central, The Tonight Show, Craig Ferguson, and Last Comic Standing, which our very own Josh Blue won.
Denver, Colorado
“Huge Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

I have been looking forward to checking this place out since I moved here but have to say I will probably never go back, despite the big names. The comedians were so-so, but that's a chance you take when seeing an unknown, so no problem with that. The issue is the two-drink minimum. Having promised our large group a discount on our first drink, they then told us the discount was only good for the first 30 minutes after doors opened and refused to honor it (which they had neglected to tell us). I figured no big deal, I would just order beer rather than an expensive cocktail. Come to find out that not only do they have the WORST beer list I have ever encountered with nearly no selection (I am including dive bars in this), but they are outrageously priced at $5-6 even for domestics like Bud Light and Coors. The waitresses continually interrupted our laughing to hassle us (not ask, but actually hassle) about our second drinks and lectured members of our group in loud voices about the two drink requirement when we told them we weren't ready yet for our second (most of us still had half a beer left as she could plainly see). Honestly, I normally would buy more than two drinks on a night out anyway, but I was so fed up with the hassling, prices and terrible selection, we ended up leaving early. I agree that sometimes you pay more for the experience, but believe me, there are much better venues in Denver if you'd like to see a good show that actually appreciate their customers. At one point during the show the performer read off customer comment cards, one of which suggested they lower the drink prices (so clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way). The performer then told us to "[--] Ourselves." Nice.

VA
“Management Doesn't Want Your Business”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

I had a terrible experience at the Comedy works, when I visited the Club and was threatened by other lude patrons who were obviously friends with management. The same manager threatened to kick out other customers sitting next to us who complained about the same obnoxious group who made loud interupting comments during the show and threatening to beat up the people around them for asking them to "please be quiet. The Manager rather than address the apparent problem party who was threatening numerous people, blamed my party for his inaction. I would never go back to this club, as it's run by management who have no interest in providing the basic safety that customers deserve when visiting the club.

denver
“Don't Go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

What kind of business charges you a hefty cover, then REQUIRES you to purchase at least two drinks? It's a rip off. To satisfy my requirement, I ordered chicken strips, which count as a drink, and a coke. I got 5, fatty, reprocessed strips, for $9.00, and a coke that they kept refilling. Turns out the refills were not free. They were $4.00 a piece. They refused to take the extra cokes off and charged me full price. They also have a very weird rule about how you cannot leave the club without having your bill stamped first. Who the hell are they to tell me when I can leave? There's no parking on top of it all. So, enjoy the comedy while you're abused and imprisoned. This over-priced hassle just isn't worth the laughs and something should be done about their absurd, anti-customer rules.

Arlington, VA
“Save Your Money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

The employees are surly, the venue will make you claustrophobic and the show did not start on time.

They have bouncers at this place. At a comedy club! Why on earth is that necessary? during our short time there my wife and I saw unbelievable treatment of paying customers. We endured rude waitstaff and leering bouncers for about an hour and decided to leave.

Save your money and spend it on some microbrews and food instead.

jjo1977
“terrifying”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

The service here doesn't just stop at rude. This was the strangest, scariest night of my life. I didn't know that you are not allowed to leave the club during the show. I was feeling chlosterphobic in that dungeon of a club and so I went outside during the show to wait for it to end and for my friends to come out. The staff surrounded me and accused me of trying to walk out on my tab. I told them that my boyfriend and 20 of coworkers remained inside to pay the check. Instead of just verifying my story they called security and took me into the back room, where they continued to harass me until they learned that my boyfriend had in fact already paid the check. When I tried to tell my boyfriend what happened the staff started yelling at me and told him I was making it up. I have never been so insulted or scared.