“OMG, we turned around” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Scenic Drives, Landmarks
Activities: Four-wheeling
More attraction details
Owner description: Mostly unpaved, this road travels between Cripple Creek and Canon City and promises outstanding views.
Lake Forest, Illinois
25 attraction reviews
“OMG, we turned around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We started out and thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the drive. So beautiful but the road is narrow gravel and no shoulder whatsoever. We were doing good until we hit the area where the road obviously gets its name. I could not stand the thought of how isolated and dangerous this section was (and with 17 more miles to go!) that we turned around. Allow several hours especially if you like to stop and look around or drive as slowing as I did.

Visited September 2012

North Little Rock, Arkansas
37 attraction reviews
“Again, not for the faint of heart.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

It had been @ 19 years since I'd taken the Shelf Road but we were exploring this August and the wife wanted to take it. We just gotten off the Phantom Canyon Road and went to the DQ in Canon City. I was going to take the High Park Road back to Cripple Creek but the wife said well lets go the shelf road never having been on it before. I'd forgotten the southern end of it being a bit scary and my wife does not do height that well either. Once I got on it I remembered it and by then she wasn't looking at anything with her eyes closed. Great road but If I'd recalled the scare value of it upon my wife I'd have not have taken it. Once getting off the shelf my wife calmed down and when we saw a bear she became much more enthused with the drive. All in all, a great scenic drive to do in conjunction with the Phantom Canyon Road.

Visited August 2012
Wappapello, Missouri, United States
20 attraction reviews
“Take your time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

SOOO enjoyed the ride. Mostly one lane so be prepared to move over and let others by. Gravel and dirt road, Watch the curves some people fly around them. No facuilities for stopping, but several pull off areas for walking by the creek or photo shoots. Great for bikers but is about a 20 mile drive , maybe more. Short way to Canon City Co. But we enjoyed the peacefulness and saw several old cabins along the way.

Visited August 2012
Aurora
16 attraction reviews
“Magnificent Vistas and Cool Mountain Streams”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This road between Cripple Creek and Canyon City is a hidden gem. We drove a Jeep, but most cars could navigate the road if it hasn't been subjected to really bad weather. Many turnouts and places to take photos. A rock hounds dream. Less than 30 miles, but packed with photo opportunities virtually around every bend.

Visited July 2012
Guffey, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
“WOW!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Wilderness at it's best - we often see big horned sheep on this trip -

Visited September 2011