We ran into several problems during our stay at Elevation Hotel. Upon checking in, we were told that we could either valet park our car or self-park. Valet and self-park were the same price. We chose to valet the car, unaware that, unlike many hotel valets, the valet parkers and self-parkers were parking in the same lot. Additionally, the parking lot was difficult to navigate because it used to be an old theater and had unusually-placed posts.
When the valet brought up our car the next day, there was a large scratch in the passenger-side door. We brought this to the valet's attention, and eventually she brought a manager down to handle the situation. The manager, Christy, was actually extremely helpful and apologetic. She spoke to the valet who parked our car the night before, and he claimed that the car was fine when he parked it, and that a self-parker must have scratched the car.
This is where we started to run into problems with the hotel. Although Christy comped our stay for the damage to our vehicle, she was unable to do anything with an insurance claim. She referred us to the man who did, but we were unable to get anywhere with him. Because the valet claimed he hadn't scratched the car, the hotel said they were not liable for any damage to our vehicle. He told us that parking in their lot was the same as parking at a grocery store; the business is not liable for damage to the vehicle. We pointed out that normally valet lots are separate in order to determine liability, and that is wasn't anything like parking at a grocery store as our car was in the care, custody, and control of their staff when the car was scratched. He agreed that this would be the case if the valet admitted to some fault around the scratch, but since he didn't, the hotel wouldn't take responsibility for it.
At this point, Christy offered us a free stay in the future, but as you can imagine, we were frustrated enough to not be interested in coming back to the hotel. In addition, we don't live near Crested Butte, and it seemed unlikely that we would be back anytime in the semi-near future. We asked if we could just have some money to help cover the cost of the repair, but she was unable to do this and referred us to the general manager.
She gave us the phone number of the general manager, and we held off quite a while on this review hoping that we could reach her in order to find resolution to this problem. We hoped the hotel would be willing to at least chip in the cost of the repair. Because of how deep and long the scratch was, the repair was going to be about $600. I called the general manager repeatedly, and I got one voice mail back, but upon returning her call several times, I never heard from her again. I even contacted Christy, who said she would mention it again to the general manager, but it was clear the general manager had no interest in responding to our concern. We never received another call back despite repeated attempts to contact her. At this point, we considered making a small claim against the hotel, but it was unrealistic because of the distance to court. We were extremely disappointed that the hotel manager didn't care enough about our concern to return our call.
We had other problems with the hotel, including that upon check-out, the bellwoman damaged one of our dog kennels loading it into the car. I guess we should have known at this point not to trust them with our belongings. The room didn't have air conditioning (not mentioned on their website that I saw), and although keeping the windows open kept the room kind-of cool, we happened to be there during a festival and were woken to the noise outside around 7 am every single morning of our vacation. Yet our only choices were to not sleep because we were sweltering or wake up early on vacation.
Because of the hotel's unwillingness to assist in the repair of our vehicle, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Elevation Hotel & Spa is the only full-service ski-in / ski-out hotel at Crested Butte Mountain Resort. The completely renovated property features 262 rooms and spacious suites. Enjoy first-class amenities and services, including swimming pool, hot tub, wireless internet, Spa treatments and Fitness Center, and valet, bell and concierge services. The on-site 9380 Prime Restaurant & Bar serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The Elevation Hotel & Spa offers the ultimate slopeside luxury and convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Elevation Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Elevation Hotel And Spa
- The Elevation Hotel Crested Butte
- Elevation Hotel Crested Butte