“Overrated and overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Overrated and overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We were prepared for an expensive meal but were very dissatisfied with the quality of the entrees for the price. This restaurant is very overpriced.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“Food was good but the rest was simply crap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

we went with a group of 8 of us 4 couples in our 40's. The food was good but took at least 1 hour to get our food and it was not worth the prices. The atmosphere and some of the staff were terrible. Our Wives can get little loud with a few glasses of wine but not the same as college spring break drunk loud. Basically just women talking and occasionally loud laughter. This is definitely something I think a restaurant would want which is people having a good time.

Having a good time was furthest thing the owner and staff wanted from their guests. They told our wives 3 times to be quiet. This was extremely off putting and basically put a negative atmosphere over our entire dinner.

The restaurant itself was very cramped but if the staff and owner would loosen up a little the cramped atmosphere could be fun.

If you are going to go make sure to bring your library card and be prepared to be reprimanded by the owner and the staff.

This is definitely a place I would not recommend going.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Over-rated and over-flavored; Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I took my wife here for dinner on the last night of our vacation based largely on the great reviews on TripAdvisor. As it’s the #1 restaurant in town we had high expectations - we’re foodies so we were looking forward to a great meal.

The service was certainly up to the standard expected of a first class restaurant. They have two dinner seatings 6.00pm and 8.15pm. We made our reservations for a Monday night and were able to provide our cell # as the contact number (I mention this as one review states they will not accept cell numbers).

On arrival we were warmly greeted and situated in a small table next to the kitchen. The Chef came around the room and provided a sample of the Filet Mignon for each table - unfortunately he didn’t bother to introduce himself (maybe we’re supposed to know who he was based upon his fame?). The sample was delicious.

They have a full bar and an extensive wine list (if you want to spend over $20,000 on a bottle they can accommodate you). Most wines run from a low around $50 a bottle to $200. They also serve a selection of wines by the glass. Cocktails run around $16 each.

For appetizers we ordered the Escargot and the Foie Gras . We typically love both dishes and have tried them in a number of fine French restaurants in the US and France. The Escargot were served out of the shell as a topping to a puff pastry shell. They were very heavily garnished with butter, garlic and seasoning. For my taste I found them too heavily garnished thereby hiding the delicate taste of the Escargot. I much prefer my Escargot served in the shell with a more subtle butter garlic seasoning. The Foie Gras was nicely presented but much too fatty for my liking. In fact I found this particular Foie Gras to be more like eating a plate of lard than Foie Gras.

For the second course we ordered the Duck and the Quail. The duck breast was cooked to perfection and served in a lightly seasoned sauce - just perfect. The two Quail were stuffed with Brie Cheese. These were delicious though sparse with meat as you might imagine.

For desert we ordered the Vanilla Soufflé and the Creme Brûlée. The Soufflé was cooked in just ten minutes owing to the altitude and was perfection on a plate. The Creme Brûlée was average.

I admit my palate is significantly more sensitive than my wife’s so my perspective may seem overly critical to some. My opinion that a good Chef brings out the subtle flavors of food, whereas weaker Chefs overcomplicate foods with heavy sauces. In my opinion Chef Vernon tends more toward overcomplicating his dishes, masking the subtle flavors of his food choices. I would describe Soupçon as an American Bistro with French leanings but it lacks the delicacy of true French cooking.

The prices at Soupçon for our meal came to approx $100 per person for 3 courses with a cocktail but without wine. At this end of the price range I expect significantly higher standards in the cuisine than Chef Vernon presented. The service was exceptional. The bathrooms are somewhat unconventional, requiring guests to wash their hands in a small sink in the passage to the kitchen.

Overall I give the Soupçon two stars because it presents itself as a 5 star experience but only delivers slightly above average food. The meal left me with gut wrenching indigestion all night and felt way over-priced for the quality that was served. (By comparison, we had duck at Django’s two nights before - it was of equally high quality and half the price and the atmosphere was better - see my review).

If you have money to burn and like your food heavily flavored Soupçon will not disappoint. If you prefer your food with more delicate flavors and fresh ingredients you might want to give Soupçon a pass and save some money.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison
“Wonderful restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Very expensive - get that out of the way from the get go. My husband wouldn't even let me look at the wine prices. BUT ... have nothing but nice things to say. Great service, great food, great ambience. A definite treat for a special occasion.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Superb dinner...a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Booked this restaurant based on Trip Advisor reviews and we were not disappointed. We had an outstanding meal, the service was excellent...Chef Jason Vernon and his team deliver truly great food, the avoidance of unnecessary complexity was refreshing, allowing the high quality produce to be the highlight of the dishes.

Visited February 2014