“Excellent selection (get the steak) in a friendly and cozy setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maxwell's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Maxwell's Steakhouse
226 Elk Ave, Crested Butte, CO 81224
970-349-1221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Norman, Oklahoma
“Excellent selection (get the steak) in a friendly and cozy setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Maxwell's is where we always end up, no matter where we think we plan to eat. We always wind up there because we love it. They are masters of steak and other beef products but can also do a great job with other dishes. The wait staff is so very friendly in this owner operated local spot. We are not there often enough to be "regulars", but there are many who are and they are welcomed like family. The wine list is outstanding. I have not taken children, but children are welcomed and always seem happy. Finally, you can spend as much or little as you want. I think it would be difficult to spend less than $20 each, but that is about the price of a pizza in downtown Crested Butte.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Los Gatos, California
“Party of 12”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

They took great care of us with a large party and a bunch of kids. Our tab was about $500 and worth it. The crab cakes, scallops and filets were all delicious.

Visited April 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Great Meal, Pleasant for Families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went with my family for a nice meal at Maxwell's including a 3 and 4 year old. Some restaurants would treat you like a third class citizens for bringing wee ones in on a Saturday night, but the hostess was very nice to us, brought the little boys crayons, and even had kids cups. This was a pleasant find at a more upscale restaurant. The wine by the glass selection was nice, not very large but offered a wide variety. The three adults ordered the steak au poivre (delicious with a MOUND of fries), the petite filet (cooked perfectly and the cheesy orzo was amazing), and the steak pasta (a good hearty meal after skiing). The owner came up to greet and check on each table which added a nice personal touch. The ambiance made the restaurant feel cozy and upscale but the prices were still reasonable for a mountain town. I would certainly go back for a nice meal and wouldn't hesitate to take kids.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Joplin, Missouri
“You can eat well here on a budget.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Although many of the dishes here are quite expensive by my standards, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised by our entree salads that we ordered. I had the Steak and Potato Salad and my husband had the Smoked Salmon Salad, which were $17 & $16 respectively. The salads were very large. Mine had a portion of steak that was probably about the same size as the Ladies Petite Filet ($32). The steak was very tender. The salad also had roasted potatoes, bleu cheese crumbles, bacon, tobacco onions, and tomatoes with a buttermilk steak dressing. My husband's salad had a very generous portion of smoked salmon that was delicious, which says a lot because I have tried salmon on multiple occasions and I have never liked it. Our kids had the macaroni and cheese and alfredo pasta. We were not impressed by the alfredo sauce, but the mac n cheese was pretty good. Other family members had the Rack of Lamb, Prime Rib, Ladies Petite Filet, and Wagyu Burger. Everyone was happy with their food. As a side note, if you go on your birthday, you get your choice of a free dessert or bottle of wine; however they don't give you the wine until after dinner to take home.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Richard L”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently spent a week in Crested Butte and dined the final evenung at Maxwell's steakhouse. The four of us had an excellent experience and thoroughly enjoyed the brussell sprout and duck leg appetizers. The lamb chops and rib eye steak were enjoyed by all parties. Peter Maxwell was extremely attentive and provided excellent wine service. I strongly recommend Maxwell's.

• Visited March 2013