“It could have been so good” 3 of 5 stars

You added De Vere Venues Wokefield Park to your Saves list
De Vere Venues Wokefield Park
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Goodboys Lane, Stratfield Mortimer RG7 3AH, England   |
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
“It could have been so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have just returned from spending a golf weekend here, from Friday 13th to Sunday 15th Sept. I guess I should have paid more attention to the Friday the 13th thing at the time I booked. First of all, on arrival, it wasn't at all clear where we should book in. There are two main blocks, the “Executive” and the “Mansion” and there is a fair distance between their receptions. We were in the “Mansion” though the package had us booked into the Buffet in the “Executive” block. It was heaving down with rain when it came time for dinner so when we arrived at the “Executive” block to be told that the whole block had been booked by a company and our meal was back in the “Mansion”, you can imagine that there were a few choice words as to why we hadn't been informed of this change when we booked in.

Having said that, though the menu was very limited, the meal was alright and the staff very helpful and attentive.

The rooms were large and roomy but in need of some maintenance. The shower head needed attention, the door to the shower staff leaked all over the floor and one of the side lamps in the bedroom didn't work.

The golf course is ok but there are parts of the fairways which are more like hard packed mud, though I expect this is more a sign of overuse than lack of care.

Breakfasts were buffet style, which is fine, however there was also a reasonably large convention in the Mansion which certainly placed a strain on the catering staff. When a lot of people want to eat, some forethought and planning can make it more pleasant for the guests. For example, the scrambled eggs ran out, the fried eggs were underdone, the bacon and sausages were as tough as old boots, and there was only one of those rotating toasters which take forever and it didn't work anyway.

My guess is that this hotel has a management issue. Lack of inspection of the rooms, signage could be improved, and catering arrangements need to be improved.

Would I recommend it? No, life’s too short.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Venues Wokefield Park, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to your visit here at Wokefield, we do take all feedback on board and address and action any issues or concerns with our team, here at Wokefield we strive to meet all guests expectations and I'm sorry if on this occasion you felt let down in some area's. we have a new maintenance project in operation to help keep our bedrooms to a required standard, once more I apologise if you felt let down by your visit. Again I thank you for taking the time to feedback.
Kind Regards

904 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here for a retreat weekend (13th to 15th Sept) with other ladies where we had a block booking. We had single (sole occupancy) and double (shared occupancy) room bookings.
Sole occupancy guests stayed in the 'Mansion House' whilst the shared occupancy guests stayed in the 'Wellington Lodge'.
The subject of my review is the Mansion House Rooms. Some rooms were extremely nice, spacious and of a 5* standard whilst some were extremely small, ugly and of a 1* standard both charged at the same price!
This is totally unacceptable and the managers on duty were unrepentant and reluctant to change the rooms or even move the aggrieved party to Wellington with the excuse of 'we're fully booked'. The 1* star room had no headboard with dirty walls, a long brown locker as a 'wardrobe', the room felt 'closed' and claustrophobic whilst the 5* was 4 times the size with 2 huge armchairs, a fireplace, a huge double bed, huge wardrobe, huge beautiful bathroom and generally beautiful decor and ambiance.
On the plus side, the food was excellent! Freshly made soups, freshly baked breads, lovely good sized variety. Big well done to the Mansion House chefs.

Room Tip: The best rooms are 231, 237 and others similar to that style. Please avoid/reject 234, 233; these...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, whilst all rooms across site are different we do take onboard your comments and action accordingly. I have passed on your comments to the chefs and they were delighted to here your food comments. I do hope that your previous visit will not put you off returning to Wokefield.
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Firstly the good points. All staff were extremely friendly and courteous. My room was fine with an excellent shower. The breakfast was fine also although dirty plates were left lying on tables for over 20 minutes.
Sadly, the poor points outweigh the good. It took between 5-10 minutes to find my room, if I'd been directed properly it would have taken two. The evening buffet was decidedly average with overcooked food. We ordered wine before our starters and it finally turned up as we were nearing the end of our mains. The bar completely ran out of beer on the Saturday night and also ran out of wine glasses. The hotel was heaving with guests and yet there barely seemed to be any staff in key areas.
The golf course was over congested, it took us 5 hours on both the Saturday & Sunday.
De Vere need to up their game, on this performance the likes of Premier Inn are out-performing them in just about every area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
May I first and foremost apologise that you felt some aspects of your visit did not meet you expectations here at wokefield, we do strive to ensure all guests have a memorable visit. We have looked at the staffing levels and increased numbers to ensure guests have the experience they deserve. I would like to also thank you for the great comments that you provided regarding the staff, I have passed on all your comments to the team. I do hope that your experience here at Wokefield will not put you off returning sometime in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

Kings Langley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel to meet up with five other friends on the weekend of 6-8th Sept 2013, to play golf, have a few beers and enjoy ourselves. However, the service that we received was dreadful, especially in the Steam Bake and Grill restaurant. They serve a buffet style meal, which I am not against, but it was poorly laid out, was little better than a canteen. Whilst the staff worked hard and tried their best, there were not enough of them, meaning that we had almost finished our main course, when the wine arrived, and our plates where not cleared away.

The golf course, was not in very good condition, and they had over booked the number of tee times on Sat and Sun..

Would not go there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback here at Wokefield. I do operate a buffet style service on occasions in our Steam Bake and grill restaurant, I have fed back your comments to the team and apologise if you feel this did not meet your expectations. I do hope that this will not stop you returning to Wokefield.
Salford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here on business, wouldn't return by choice. Food was not bland and shower was freezing cold, not ideal preparation for an important meeting, washing in a small sink! Reception staff were disinterested when the issue was reported to them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for providing the feedback from your stay here at Wokefield. I have fed back your feedback to the team, I apologise if the some members of the team seemed disinterested, here at Wokefield we do believe in Great customer service and it saddens me to here you did not feel this on your visit.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I wasn't going to post here but I haven't had a reply fromDevere customer.services( sent yesterday).We were there from Friday 6 Sep to Sunday 8 Sep..I won't go into everything but the bar was understaffed ,2 of the beers were off and weren't replaced by Saturday night or Sunday Lunchtime..the food in the steam bake grill wasvery poor and the whole organisation in that restaurant was chaotic...as for the golf course... on Saturday the first tee was like Piccadilly Circus...due to the amount of tee time bookings the course is a mess..the fairways do not look to have a sprinkler system ,the greens were shocking and the yellow tees were practically on top of the red tees...if it wasn't for the fact we played 2 other courses our weekend ( which we were all looking forward to) would have been a complete disaster..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
May i take this opportunity to apologise for the issues you encountered on your recent stay here at Wokefield. Whilst every effort is made to ensure all customers experiences are met i am sorry you felt let down on this occasion.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Myself and a group of friends from all over the country go away every year for a weekend of golf. We last played here around 8 or ten years ago. It has not improved but has got worse.

HOTEL:- Arrived at check in to be told rooms would be available from 1pm. We were required to pay for the room in advance (bizarre). Got key cards at 1 PM room was not ready, but at least we could dump the bags.

ROOM:- Room was small but adequate, although only two coat hangers were provided and a trip to reception to request more was in order (on positive side I forgot my toothbrush and was given one free at reception).
The door handle to the room was loose which meant the key card did not always work unless you jiggled the handle around a bit.

CLEANLINESS- I returned to my room on the Saturday evening to find that the cold cup of coffee and the empty crisp bag had not been cleared from my bedside table. Shower screen in bathroom was ill fitting and had mould

MEALS:- The evening meal(s) which we had booked were okay, however breakfast was a bity of a joke with food being served out by people with dirty aprons on which was kinda off-putting. Glasses to put cold orange juice in were warm and paradoxically the plates that you wanted to put hot food on were cold. Came down to breakfast on Sunday to find the table set out with paper cups for your tea/coffee, come on guys!!!

BAR:- Apart from the normal exorbitant drinks costs in these places it was distressing to find the bar ran out of Marstons Pedigree (BTW tasted a bit ropey to start as if it had been lying in the pipes for a while) on the Friday and when the Boddingtons ran out on the Saturday the place was so understaffed that nobody could be spared to go and change the barrels.

THE COURSE:- Around a five and a half hour round on the Friday, around five hours on the Saturday and a comparatively rapid four hours on the Saturday. The course is long at around 6,900 yards with long walks between the tees (9th-10th is around quarter of a mile). All buggies were fully booked which impacted on some of our older golfers. Course did not lend itself to rapid play due to overgrown grass in rough which necessitated in people in the parties in front wasting time looking for balls thereby adding to the slow play. Pro shop not shy in charging; a fiver to rent a pull trolley, come on, my club only charge £1.50. Golf balls as ever in these places were not cheap.

OVERALL:- There are other , better places to play your golf and have a good time, do yourselves a favour and go there. Free coffe was a nice touch

Room Tip: Room 702 has a dodgy lock and pr4obably only two coat hangers again
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to your visit here at Wokefield, we do take all feedback on board and address and action any issues or concerns with our team, here at Wokefield we strive to meet all guests expectations and I'm sorry if on this occasion you felt let down in some area's. I do hope that this experience does not put you returning to Wokefield in the near future. Again I thank you for taking the time to feedback.
Kind Regards

Been to De Vere Venues Wokefield Park? Share your experiences!