“Disastrous place, violent manager” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alpinista Family Bistro

Alpinista Family Bistro
172 Copper Circle, Unit C-1, Taylors Crossing, PO Box 4218, Copper Mountain, CO 80424
970-968-1144
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, European, Fondue
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Brooklyn, New York
“Disastrous place, violent manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Tried to have dinner at Alpinista after receiving recommendations from various copper locals. What an unmitigated disaster. Having eaten in countless establishments, from world famous restaurants to food carts on the streets of Manhattan, I can say that I've never had an experience like this one. The service was abysmal, despite our waitress' best efforts (she did her job, just didn't have the support of any of the others there, with perhaps the exception of Howard). After over an hour, all we had to show for the evening was some basic salads and some cut up carrots for five starving kids. The restaurant was not crowded (Sunday night at a ski resort...), there appeared to be plenty of staff on hand, although most of them seemed to be doing absolutely nothing other than checking cell phones.

After complaining to the manager, things got a little crazy. The manager, who reeked of smoke and appeared not to have bathed in a long time, seemed to spend all of his time hanging out in front of the restaurant (not paying the least bit of attention to his job), became belligerent. We left the restaurant, only to have him follow us out as if he wanted to start a fight and then proceeded to follow us halfway to our condo, barking a us. His kids, who were clearly under 16, yet we're busy waiting tables and clearing dishes throughout the night, kept imploring him to stop. I suspect it's about all that stopped him. Mind you, this was in response to being told that the restaurant's performance that night was unacceptably bad. No threats, no raised voices, no personal insults.

Wish I had an opinion on the food, but it never came. Copper isn't exactly a culinary hot spot, but I'm not sure that any meal is worth a potential altercation with an incompetent, belligerent manager. Stay clear!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
AlpinistaFamilyBistr, Manager at Alpinista Family Bistro, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear sir,
I wish you had had a better experience. I would like to point out that your companions had been told of the delay before they sat down. Also your reservation was at 6:45pm your entire party was not here until 7:00pm and your order entered at 7:13pm. You began complaining about how long your order took at 7:30pm. You left at 7:45pm. You insulted the staff. When asked how you wanted to resolve the problem you continued to complain about waiting. You complained about how your children had to get up early and we should have know that, but we have kids from all over the USA and Europe and they all have different bed times and we can't assume what yours are. If you are in a hurry, as you were, you should choose a fast food place, not a fondue place. We were busy when you arrived and you were at the tail end of several big parties as was explained to your companions. You should expect to spend 1 to 1 1/2 hours to eat at any nice restaurant. The type of food you order is not the only fact that determines how long food takes, for example other orders ahead of yours require cooking space. Pasta may only take a minute, but only once there is enough space to cook it. Next time you dine out with kids you should explain that you just arrived and have young kids that are from the east coast and are tired. Also insulting people as you again did in your post is not proper. You were told to stop being insulting at the restaurant and now again.

65% Recommend
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Great place to go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

went to alpinista for a great bloody mary and breakfast. The owner and workers were all so nice!
Treated us great! My daughter Michelle just started working there and she went there for dinner the other night and said it was very good and the people there treated her so good! Can't wait to get back there and see them all again! If your in the area be sure to stop there, you won't be disappointed!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Frisco, Colorado
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had heard this was a great place to eat, but had no clue it would be soooo good! The staff was super friendly and the breakfast was out of this world! They have homemade verde and hot sauce that is nearly to die for! I highly recommend Alpanista!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Evergreen, Colorado
“Yummie breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Breakfast was so good, we came back the next day! Small place, so you may have to wait a bit. Friendly staff.

Visited August 2012
Thousand Oaks, California
“Wonderful lunch stop looking forward to dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I were riding thru Copper from Vail and decided to stop to grab something to eat and ended up spending over an hour relaxing and enjoying the food, view and staff at Alpinista. I am not sure which I enjoyed more the ride or the lunch. We sat outside and were wowed by not only the views, but staff and even the owner Peter stopped by numerous times to talk and answer questions we had about the area. My wife's brie and shrimp salad was stellar and nothing beats a brat & brew on a warm late summer day. We are definitely looking forward to coming back for dinner to try the fondue or raclette next time -and a few of the beers I had to miss being on my bike.

• Visited August 2012