“Good for the price, but nothing special here.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #36 of 105 hotels in Colorado Springs
Grand Forks, ND
“Good for the price, but nothing special here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here for a week during the national speech and debate tournament and my overall experience was just OK. I gave it 4 stars because of the price and the staff of the hotel, but the accommodations were just 3 stars.
Pros: staff was friendly and helpful, nice selection of breakfast food, rooms were clean, good location for me.
Cons: rooms were outdated and lacked microwave or refrigerator, that would have been very helpful.

Room Tip: If you need a fridge and microwave, I think you have to rent a king suite, the other rooms do not ha...

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Is this a 2 star or 3 star? I thought this was a 3 star, so if this is a 2 star then I apologize in advance for having incorrect expectations. I typically stay in a 3 star so that is what I'm comparing this to.

As others have said, there is no automatic door here, kind of weird. But it's not a huge deal, my wife was happy to hold the door while I pushed in the heavy cart of our stuff. The front desk person was nice enough and helpful. We arrived a bit before check in and we were able to get our room. The lobby smelled citrus like, which was good I suppose. Things in the lobby seemed clean.

We were in room 312. Almost a view of the mountains if you look to the right, but not quite as we were facing south. The room floor was creaky, which was a little disappointing.

I'm always concerned with cleanliness in hotels so I do a quick sweep of commonly "touched" areas. Initial impression was that it looked clean, which is a great start. The light switches were kind of dirty, which made me wonder about the remote and door handles. A little hand sanitizer for these areas was a must. The room had a bit of a musty smell to it, not very fresh. The carpets looked clean, but the room probably could benefit from a little shampooing to help the smell.

Wireless internet worked ok on my computer, but my phone didn't work too well on it for some reason. I ended up just using the 3G signal on my phone a lot of the time, because it was faster, again, the computer was fine.

Housekeeping seemed to be fine. Trash was emptied, cups, toiletries, towels, etc... were all replenished adequately, bed was made.

The bed was comfortable. I kind of wish we would have went $10 more per night and got the king like we are used to, instead of going with the queen. But you live and learn. I guess our room choice didn't get a microwave or refrigerator, which was a little disappointing. This meant that bringing leftovers back from restaurants were out of the question. Perhaps I should have read the amenities a little closer.

Breakfast was ok. Again, I'm not sure if this is a 2 or 3 star location, but the 3 star places I've stayed in offered more options for breakfast and far more seating. There were 2 occasions where we had to sit and wait for a table to open up, then it was like a musical chairs, last one to grab a table was out. I was hoping for foods like scrambled eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, maybe some Canadian bacon as I've gotten with other hotel stays, but this didn't have it those. There were DIY waffles, microwaveable Jimmy Dean sandwiches, oatmeal, and the other regular things like cereals and fruit. You could also find sausage patties and little strange processed looking omelet things. So it was a decent breakfast.

The pool and hot tub were ok. Water temps were good and relaxing. Towels were provided at the pool.

I could not find the fitness center. Do they even have one? We looked around very briefly. We were on vacation, so finding it would only mean we'd have to use it. :)

Checkout was a snap. Very quick and easy.

Location was fine. You are close to a lot of shopping and restaurants. A quick trip down I-25 will get you most touristy stuff in a reasonable amount of time. 15-30 minutes I would say is the average trip time. The location seemed safe, although was frequented by a beggar in the area.

So in summary, this is a ok place if it's a 2 star, but very overrated if it's a 3 star. I'll probably find a different place to stay next time. I didn't have a bad stay, this hotel did not ruin my trip. I just like to be impressed and this was a bit underwhelming and average for my tastes.

My other basis for my hotel comparison was my dad whom stayed in a Super 8 down the road from this hotel.. He got a very similar breakfast, plus had microwave, and refrigerator in the room for less money per night.

Lastly, and I will attach my picture of this. On our last few nights a sports team came in a bus to stay at the hotel. Each night they parked their bus in a way that took up several of the parking spots. The main parking lot was small and filled up at night. You would think the hotel would ask the bus to park in the outlying lot and not wipe out 6 spots in the main one forcing their normal parking guests to walk a further distance. I mentioned this to a guy at the desk, whom didn't really get my hint and didn't seem to understand the problem with the bus taking up 6 spots. I thought it was kind of rude for the hotel to allow this. Plus this team was very loud both after 11PM and before 7AM. I almost called the desk to complain about this, but was too tired.

Room Tip: Ice machines are on 1st and 3rd floor. Elevator is right in the middle. Keep that in mind as those...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mike G, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Colorado Springs Air Force Academy, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I appreciate the positive feed back as well as the areas where we could improve. We value all of our guest comments and I want to assure that I have spoken to my staff and we have addressed those issues. I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations and we hope with our continued efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you will give the Colorado Springs Fairfield Inn - Air Force Academy another try next time you stay in the area.

Thanks again.

Mike Greene
Hoopeston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Everything that I look for when traveling, friendly staff, clean, comfortable room, convenient location and although I didn't make use of it , the pool looked clean too. The breakfast was the best we have seen on our 18 day road trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is an older generation FFI that renovated on a budget, and it shows. While the rooms are reasonable and the beds are comfortable, one step into the bathroom reveals that the owners ran out of money to truly get this hotel into the 21st century. Cracked, worn almond floor tile with huge, dark grout lines welcomes you back to the year this hotel was built - probably around 1985. The pitted, faux marble countertop is at a height just perfect if you're five feet tall. The toilet's deep hard water stains show that the property has never heard of a pumice stone. The one-piece tub/shower surround had about a inch of caulk caked into all joints, indicating that the solution to problems at this hotel is to simply cover up with ever-more caulk.

You'll need to set the AC unit to continuous fan to mask the noise coming in through the thin walls. Footfalls, elevator noise and other mechanical noises were common.

With so many options out there, this Fairfield Inn only makes sense if it's significantly cheaper than neighboring Hampton Inns or Holiday Inn Expresses. Those brands tend to take their renovations more seriously.

Room Tip: An even-numbered room will get you at least an oblique view of Pikes Peak.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Mike G, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Colorado Springs Air Force Academy, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I want to thank you for your feedback and sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered during your recent stay. I assure you that guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and all issues in our control will be handled quickly and professionally. Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we hope to see you back at the Colorado Springs Fairfield Inn - Air Force Academy next time you find yourself in the area.

Michael Greene
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My family stayed here for my sisters wedding. The hotel was nice, clean, and the breakfast was decent. Close to the highway and all local attractions. We didn't hear any highway noise and had the room closest to the highway I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Champaign
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We had our plans change suddenly during our vacation in Colorado Springs, and had to stay an extra night. The hotel we had been staying it was booked, so we called around and were able to snag a room at this Fairfield Inn.

What a pleasant surprise after a rough day! The young man at the desk was extremely courteous and helpful to us. The room was roomy, comfortable, and spotless. We could all just relax with no worries.

I wish we had stayed here in the first place! It was no more expensive than the "budget" hotel where we had been, and not that much farther from the attractions. What's a few minutes down the interstate when your hotel is much more comfortable? If we return to Colorado Springs, the Fairfield Inn Air Force Academy will be home.

Oh, yeah, breakfast was awesome too. Healthy choices, well attended. Yummy.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

After a long day, we checked in the this hotel. Both keys did not work when we got to the room, so had to go back down and have them reset. Once in the room, noticed the remote for the tv did not work, so again went back down and got a different remote. That remote did not work either, so checked it with another tv.... it was the tv. This time the night manager said, "I don't know what you want me to do about it." Explained that after a long day, really just want to crawl into bed and flip through the channels for a little bit. Blank look. Asked if there was another room available and was told yes, but it is more expensive. okay.... How about bringing a different tv into the room? "no- that isn't our policy. Some one can probably come look at it tomorrow." That was it! Luckily, my husband is an IT person and was able to reset the tv to it's original settings, so it did finally work with the remote. But that isn't something we should have to do upon check in.

Our son is attending 2 camps at the Air Force Academy so we flew out a total of 4 times over the two weeks with a different number of people each time and different agendas, so we stayed at 4 hotels in the area. Country Inn and Suites by the airport in Denever, The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs and the Embassy Suites a few doors down from this hotel. All of them have been great with very helpful staff. I'm not ranking the hotel on its location or amentities but on it's lack of customer service. There is no excuse for poor customer service in the hotel business in my opinion- there are other places that will take our money. Right next to this hotel is a Hampton Inn and the Embassy Suites- we will be staying at one of those next time! As a side note, we booked directly with the hotel and paid 99.00/night. Not impressed. Plus the Embassy has a MUCH better breakfast!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Colorado Springs Air Force Academy, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for letting us know about the issues you had during your recent stay with us. Let me first apologize for the way this situation was handled by our staff and please be assured that this has been addressed with our entire staff. Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and when we do not provide that service we want to know; so thank you again for taking the time to let us know. If you are going to be in the Colorado Springs area again we would like the opportunity to earn your business and assure you that issues like this will not happen again.

Michael Greene

Been to Fairfield Inn Colorado Springs Air Force Academy? Share your experiences!