“Excellent Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge North Academy

You added Econo Lodge North Academy to your Saves list
Econo Lodge North Academy
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1075 Kelly Johnson Boulevard, Colorado Springs, CO 80920 (Formerly Sleep Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #67 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Westminster, CO
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel during business travel to Colorado Springs.
I almost never read reviews before posting my own, but in this case I did because I'm shocked at how low the marks are for this place.
I feel I received very good value at this hotel. I paid about $60 for a good sized room that was comfortable. I had only good experiences with the front desk.
It's not that this place is the Ritz, but again, I feel I got a good deal.
I might stay here again on business. It really isn't a "business" hotel, more for the weary traveler on the nearby highway. Still for that person, this Sleep Inn isn't a bad choice.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerCOS, Owner at Econo Lodge North Academy, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write us and informing possible guest of our hotel's quality. One of the factors that drives & motivates is the value for the price a guest paid. I am delighted to hear that you found a good value in our hotel. Thank you for taking time to write us. Have a good day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

COmfortable beds, typical Choice Hotel. Clean. Friendly. Good value for the money spent.

Not a great breakfast. No eggs, or anything.. typical continental fare.. bagels, toast, rolls, juice, coffee.. I prefer a good size hot breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write us. I'm glad to hear that you found our hotel nice and clean. Our staff does a great job in maintaining the hotel as it were their own. Thank you for your time!
Romeo, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Let me preface this by saying that I am not the kind of person that usually stays at 4 star hotels. I am used to saving money by staying at cheaper places, and I have grown to really like the comfort inn brand. I also hate it when people put down a cheaper hotel because it doesn't have luxury items like valet parking or a beautiful lobby. Saying that, this hotel was just really bad.
We checked in late and were really tired after driving all day. As soon as we entered the room, it smelled really musty. I should've went back to the counter right then, but we were really tired and just wanted to get some sleep. Got up the next morning and the smell seemed to be even worse. Went to take a shower and there was mold all over the bottom. Went to take a run and the place had no fitness center, was told I had to go next door and they didn't even have a treadmill there either! I asked the clerk if he could recommend a running route and he couldn't help at all. Breakfast was not great either, standard continental breakfast, but it was just not well staffed. Told the counter staff that the room was smelly/moldy and they just said they would fill out a maintenance form. Worse choice hotel I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write us. I am so sorry to hear of the issues you encountered during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology. I apologize for the room smell and can totally understand not wanting to go back to the front desk after a long day. I travel frequently and can totally vouch for your decision not to go back to the front desk. The room shouldn't have smelled like it did to begin with. I am so sorry that you had to go through it. We try our best to make sure guests start out their day with a good breakfast. I am sorry to hear that the items were not stocked and the breakfast area was not well staffed. I will communicate your displeasures with the rest of the staff and will definately take your comments to motivate us to do a better job. Once again, thank you for taking time to write us and am sorry to hear of the negative impression that our hotel has left for the rest of Choice Hotels.
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I've stayed here several times. It is an OK value to have a place to flop for the night. Sometimes the rooms are not thoroughly cleaned. I suppose the hotel building is getting a bit old as some of the ceiling looks like they have leaked and some of the doors do not quite close easily. The free breakfast is so-so: You get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Springfield, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Although the front desk people were great, the room was terrible. The beds were not clean (the bedspread and blanket smelled strongly of urine and the sheets and pillow cases were discolored and stained) and the mattresses were lumpy. The blow dryer shorted out and sparked when it was turned on, the floor had trash under the desk, and the carpet was old and stained. There was a pocket door to the bathroom that was very difficult to open and shut, and the bathroom fan was extremely loud. If the room had been very clean, it would have been worth no more than $30, but with tax they were charging more than $100! Unbelievable! We are amazed that Choice Hotels would allow this motel to represent them in their chain.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I think if we paid attention to all trip advisor opinions or goggle sites we'd NEVER go anywhere! I live way up in the mountains so come down to civilization once a month and stay in hotels in the springs. For $56 the first night desk service (5/19) was great, nice gentleman, very helpful. Location is great, right off Academy and 25 so easy access to shopping and freeway. Hotel room walls are PAPER THIN though and could hear kids next door and then the cell phone on the other side of the wall and even I think someone talking on the fon upstairs too! People walking down the hall at midnight woke me up and the scary part of it was the hotel was very quiet, God forbid it be busy or a weekend night. Bed acceptable (but I bring my own pillow). Feather pillows though if you prefer hard ones. Sheets wrinkled but clean, towels clean. The place is just older so can look dirty but I don't think it is. You can see they try hard to keep it clean. Elevator constantly reeked of smoke and smelled a faint smokiness when I first got in the room. Was told breakfast was 0600-0900 so I got down there around 0715 and there was NOTHING ready..coffee containers empty, a few pieces of bread for toast and that's it. I asked the guy at the front desk who was actually doing the setting up if there was coffee and he whispered an answer and had zero personality. To be honest... even once it was all set up it was lousy, even the coffee so drive 300 yards to Academy and get a decent breakfast. I have stayed at the Crossland and on expedia it's always 40 bucks but it's a dump and I'll pay the extra 15 to see a little cleaner place. Wi Fi loads slowly so if you're used to speed you'll have to be patient. Over all...price 4*.... cleanliness 3* but only because it's old and at least the desk guy on check in was very helpful and nice.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Aix-en-Provence, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

With this class of hotel, it's always hit or miss. Unfortunately, this miss didn't even come close. After reading reviews about how great the service is/was, I was shocked at the terrible service I received. After making a booking 6 days before arrival, plans changed 3 days before. Although we thoroughly reviewed the website for a cancellation policy, there was nothing more than the standard one listed (cancel 24 hours in advance). When our plans changed and we couldn't stay at the Sleep Inn any longer, we called the hotel to inform them and expected good service. Unfortunately, we got the opposite. The supervisor was rude, condescending and didn't call back as promised. When I followed up and spoke to the General Manager, Mr. Donovan O'Donnell. He was equally unresponsive, condescending and rude. The hotel still charged us for the room, in spite of the advertised cancellation policy, insisting that there is a 5 day cancellation policy. Had that fact been advertised, we wouldn't have booked in the first place (and avoided a whole lot of headaches and wasted money). Suffice it to say, the inflexibility of this staff and unprofessional behavior was incredibly disappointing. Based on this experience, I have no desire to stay at any hotel with Choice Hotels International.

Room Tip: Make sure you want to stay here BEFORE you book.