“Good Hotel, Nice Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #28 of 105 hotels in Colorado Springs
Fort Worth
“Good Hotel, Nice Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed at DoubleTree for 4 nights. I booked this hotel off reviews from tripadvisor. It is funny how people can stay at the same hotel and get such different experiences. This hotel is clean, comfy beds and a wonderful staff. We did not eat there so I can not comment on the food. I called about 3 days before my arrival and asked for a quiet room since we have small children. They accomadated my family nicely. The hotel is older, so I do have to admit it could use some updating, but it was clean and I felt very secure. I would stay again and recommend this to a friend. I did not notice that it smelled at all. The workout facility is Wonderful as well.

Room Tip: Call a couple of days before arrival and give specific details if you want a certain room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
GM-COSP, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent visit. My staff and I take pride in our services and really do our best to service each individual and to anticipate their needs. As mentioned there are parts of our hotel that are older but they are clean. Our Housekeeping Director has been here since we opened the doors 24 years ago and is a pleasure to work with as she keeps her team moving and shaking on a daily basis.
We did fix that smell that a few previous responders had mentioned. We fixed the air flow in the guest hallways by adding a few more exhaust handlers on the roof.
I appreciate your feedback and thank you for your business.

466 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Travelling for a year
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel was not up to the standard I have encountered at Doubletree hotels before.
First of all the rooms were noisy: when we checked in we were given a room right next to the interstate. We asked to move to a quieter room so we were moved to an inside facing room. We thought this was good until we were woken at midnight each night by partying guests outside - we had been given a room right next to the outside door of the restaurant's bar.
Secondly internet is appalling. There is no wifi in the room (what????) and the fixed line access (one per room) is extremely slow. In the business center one morning both Pcs were down.
Finally service is mixed. The staff did not know Doubletree's policies for diamond members, although they did give me the benefits when asked; and at breakfast one waitress mid food mouthful told us to give her our coupons and if we didnt have them we would have to pay - of course we did have them (as we had every day) and gave them to her as requested - all other days breakfast staff were lovely!
Starbucks is heavily advertised on coming into the hotel but is only open until 11am - and this was peak season! The time we want an advertised frappucino is the time we normally come into/return to the hotel ie. the afternoon when you cannot buy one. It was just teasing us!!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest and Hilton HHonors Diamond Member,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent visit with us. I read your comments and I wanted to respond to each and every one of them.

All summer long, our hotel is busy - busy and we do at times get noisy guests that want to let their hair down and party away from their homes while not respecting the privacy of others. We do have a bar/nightclub that has live bands and DJ's that play frequently. We try our best to keep the noise level down and do respond to guest complaints about noise when our Security Staff is alerted on a call from a guest room.

I agree with you about the internet service. All hotels should have WIFI by now as it's just as important as a bed. I wish it is was that easy as setting up service like we do at home. But unfortunately, the cost for a business (especially a hotel) is extremely expensive ($70K) as all the routers and cabling has to be installed throughout the building. The good news is that our ownership as decided to go ahead and install. I was on a call with AT&T this morning going over the installation plan. We should be up and running wireless in about 2 to 3 months. Wireless is available in the Lobby right now complimentary. We just installed 100mbps in our hotel last week. Huge improvement over the 4mbps we had. No other hotel has this in Colorado Springs except for the 5 diamond hotel up the street. We do have a load balancer so no one guest can hog the broadband by gaming all night long or streaming old re-runs of their favorite movie or TV show. Everyone gets a slice of the pie; it’s much bigger now since our upgrade.

It's true; our Starbucks is only open until 11:00 a.m. for the breakfast run as most but not all of our guests are out of the hotel by then doing some local outdoor activities. Our revenue stream is weak after 11:00 a.m. and more often than not we don't make any drinks from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. I'm a Starbucks fan and drink a Venti Ice Mocha (no whip) often and I could use a pick me up in the afternoon as well. Depending on business levels, we do keep it open but if it's slow and everyone is out, we typically close it at 11:00 a.m. as posted. I have instructed my restaurant servers to ask for all breakfast coupons as they are treated the same way as cash. The way the server asked you for them was not acceptable and should have been more tactful.

Thank you for your comments as we cannot improve our services without your valuable feedback!

Enjoy the week and thank you for your loyalty with Hilton.

Basalt, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel was convenient to a number of dining and shopping options. It was clean and most of all had really comfortable beds and room. Check in and out was very easy. Parking was free and easy.

Naha, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I am completing a 10 day stay here. There was a problem at check in, and was told they overbooked (but my reservation was in more than 3 weeks prior). I was then sent to a nearby hotel, where the room was paid for. The manager took very good care of me and made sure everything was excellent.

Once back at the hotel, it was clean, comfortable, and the staff goes out of their way to make your stay wonderful. The pool area is nice, and I like that they have washing machines.

Breakfast is very good, but not at $15. Be sure you can get a rate that includes breakfast.

Room Tip: Search the Hilton website and look at all offers.
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE! Delta put me up at the Doubletree for the night after volunteering to give up my seat. DO NOT take the offer! The place looks like it is from 1970. The furniture was faded and sunken in. The hallways were hot, and the room smelled like mildew! GROSS! STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
GM-COSP, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear valued guest,

I want to thank you for your feedback and comments in regards to your recent stay. I apologize that we did not met your expectations recently. It is true that parts of our hotel have not received any “love” as far as our looks. Our ownership has made several upgrades to the hotel recently and will continue to do so throughout the next 12months. So far we have upgraded to new flat screen LG TV’s for all guest rooms, Direct TV Service with HD, upgraded our internet to 100 mbps (today 7-27-11), renovated our entire meeting/convention space, and two of the five floors of the hotel. Next on the list is the remaining three and some renovations for the bar which is a throw-back to the 70’s but we installed flat screens TV’ in there for viewing the sports games and any of our guest favorites. If you were here on a Thursday night, our hotel takes advantage of our 70’s look and has a DJ in there that plays 70’s and 80’s music and we pack the house.

Lastly, we do not have a mildew problem in our hotel and I can assure you with 100% confidence on my behalf as a 25 year experience hotel manager. The opportunity lies with getting our hallways cool enough and moving the air during these 100 degree days as it does at times make the air in our hallways seem stagnant and old. We are working on a solution quickly to improve this air flow.

One of the staples of our hotel in Colorado Springs is customer service as our guests have ranked us very high in service over the past few years. No matter what we look like, the associates here care about our hotel and our guests that stay with us. It won't be long until we receive our full renovations and upgrades. When that happens, we will be one of the best in the city and state.

Thank you again for your feedback and maybe we’ll have a chance to earn your loyalty next time you’re in the Springs.

Area General Manager.
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

For a newly branded more upscale Doubletree, this property is absolutely atrocious. From the moment you walk in, the smell of burned food and mold assaults your senses. You get the feeling that the place is tremendously dirty (which it is), but that is trying to be covered up by lots of air fresheners and industrial cleaning materials. The rooms are old, the air conditioning is hit and miss, the TV went out four times while I was there. You can tell the poor engineering crew is trying to keep the place duct taped together. Additionally, the reservations system is totally broken, often resulting in erroneous charges (happened more than once). Stay away from this overpriced, old, hovel! Try any of the other hotels along Geyser drive, which are MUCH better!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thanks for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Doubletree by Hilton Colorado Springs. I'm with you, at times I wish we could tear it down and start over. 50% of our building is newly renovated and we still have 50% more to go. In a sense, we have started over. Within the next 12 months everything will be done. We are not in a construction mode but are making changes which include replacing room furniture and carpet. The hotel itself is extremely busy as we are almost full everyday of the summer as many of our guests enjoy the hotel as we have a very large loyally percentage of guests and groups that love our service and the hotel.

We've had some opportunities with getting our air in the guest hallways moved more efficiently as at times it does smell old. With the 100 degree hot heat during some summer days, it becomes more difficult to move this hot air. We are working on a solution to help us with this.

Thanks again for your comments as we do review each individual comment good or poor so we can improve on our service at the hotel as we truly care about how we deliver our services.

Area General Manager.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

OVERALL as expected, clean, spacious, luxurious

PROBLEM no fridge in room

SOLUTION: store restaurant meal leftover box in ice cubes overnight:
- put the box in a grocery store plastic bag and tie it shut, so melting ice water won't get in it
- in a second grocery store plastic bag, layer ice cubes (2-inch-thick layer), the box, and more ice cubes (2 more inches), then tie this second bag shut
- keeping the package upright so the food won't spill, wrap it in a bath-size towel, around and around, then tucked under
- leave on bathroom counter
- in the morning, there was still solid ice inside the package
- the food was fine for lunch

Room Tip: Room onto courtyard has view of fountain and trees
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
GM-COSP, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Colorado Springs. Your comment about not having a refrigerator is correct as only 50 of our 300 rooms have the refrigerator and microwave package. These rooms go for a premium and are very popular in demand. Most likely, we were sold out of these room types during the time you were here as these rooms sell out quickly. In upcoming year, our plan is to add refrigerators and the microwave package into all of our 300 rooms.

It sounds like your expectations were met otherwise and I want to thank you for your feedback as it's very important for us to hear our guest comments so we can improve on our guest service and product.

Enjoy your summer.

John E. Ault
Doubletree by Hilton Colorado Springs

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs? Share your experiences!