“World Class Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 105 hotels in Colorado Springs
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“World Class Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We came to Colorado Springs with no reservations for our anniversary. We were only going to stay 1 night. However, Helen at the front desk was able to accommodate us and upgrade our room to the Cottages for two.Our rooms were beautiful, spacial and well maintained. Rad brought us to our room and went over every amenity. The staff is attentive and there for anything we need, even in the rain.Today Jennifer in guest services helped us fedex gifts for the grandkids back to our home. After touring today came back to the Broadmoor and enjoyed a Signature Massage in the Spa. Megan and Mariah were the best masseuses we have ever had. Dinner at the Penrose, fantastic, breakfast and Charles Court, Delicious. We have stayed at exclusive hotels around the world. This 5 diamond resort deserves every diamond and more.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1,425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Broadmoor for a work-related trip. The valet and front desk personnel were efficient and cheerful. I had high hopes. While being being escorted to my room, I became a little concerned. The entry to my room was complicated, to put it politely. We went up the escator, through an area for receptions (and I walked through one every time I left my room), into a narrow hallway, around a corner and up a flight of stairs. My room was literally next to a broom closet. Oh well, it'll be quiet, I thought. while it seemed small, the room was pretty enough, and comfortable enough, but the view was completely of the resort's air-conditioning units. I could only see the sky if I stood directly in front of the window and looked straight up -- then I could catch a sliver.

A group of us had dinner reservations at the golf club. The food was OK, the wine list was not good, and the service was terrible. Even though we were the last people in the restaurant (by necessity of the slow service, not by choice) we literally had to flag down waitstaff to get refills on drinks and to pay the check. The dinner had been arranged as an "on your own" event by the organizers - and that was made clear when the reservation was made. However, splitting a check into a number of equal shares seemed to be an impossible task for our server. It took at least 20 minutes (I timed it) and was not completed accurately. I felt bad for the server - he apologized many times. Whether this is an issue because of technology or inadequate staff training, it is not acceptable for a resort claiming to be a 5 star destination. Others in our group dining in other restaurants had a similar experience with the check-splitting.

I took a hike with a group, which was arranged with help from the resort. It was a great experience. Brunch in the Golden Bee pub was so-so. With all the gorgeous scenery it seems odd to hide away in a dark little pub.

I had a spa appointment that afternoon and it was great. Excellent massage, great space. Highly recommend.

That evening we had dinner in the Summit Restaurant. Very nice space, good food. We had a large group and a limited menu, but I really enjoyed my "angry trout" entree. It looked strange, tasted delicious! Service was good. Do eat here!

I left early the next morning, and only stopped for coffee on the way out. I did this partly because the coffee service in the room is so bad. It is a pet peeve of mine when paying $300+/night at a "luxury" hotel and a)the room coffee is unspeakably awful and b) you have to tear open a little bag of powdered "creamer" to put in it. Please, for the love of god, can you just put Keurigs in these rooms? And some real creamer? So I skipped the room coffee on the 2nd day and got a big cup for the road from the coffee shop just off the lobby. Unfortunately, the coffee is in the coffee shop is also atrocious.

Check out was smooth, and the front desk staff had no problem separating a few personal charges I had made from the room charges. Even though the computer system was down when I checked out an accurate receipt was emailed to me later in the day. The valets were friendly and quick. The Broadmoor got 3 stars instead of two from me (just barely) because those front-of-the-house folks were flawless. I wanted to love it, but the Broadmoor overall was just not as great as I'd hoped.

Room Tip: My room was in a 3rd floor low tower adjacent to the main building. I can't recall the name - m...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We spent three days and two nights at the hotel over Labor Day 2013. If you're considering the Broadmoor, then you're probably already aware of its lofty reputation. That reputation is entirely deserved. The grounds are amazingly beautiful and well-kept. The pool was a hit with our kids, so too the bowling alley and the kids camp. The room was nice and comfortable, meals were good, and there are a lot of dining options. All of this great stuff comes with a rather substantial price tag, there's no getting around that, but the place is so nice that I was left with the impression that I was paying a lot because I was getting a lot.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We visited the Broadmoor in late July with my husband, three children (13, 8, 5) and my in-laws. We stayed for a total of 4 nights. Overall, the resort is beautiful, breathtaking in some spots, actually. Our room was lovely and we were put on the same floor as my inlaws. The bell staff and house keeping were just great. They were friendly, and fast, and very happy to help. The grounds are beautiful. My kids LOVED the pool. However, there are few basics that as a frequent traveler, seem so obvious to me, that the Broadmoor has missed. If they fix a few things, they will please so many more of their guests. First of all, the garbage cans always seem to be overflowing, and at the top of the garbage there are tons of plastic Broadmoor cups. It would seem to me that the Broadmoor should do a better job at emptying the garbage on a regular basis and also, put out some recycling bins. Also, I am an early morning runner and when I came back from my first run at 6:45 am, I went to the Lobby to get a cup of coffee. I was told that the complimentary coffee service ends at 6 am. Huh? Then I was told I could go to the coffee shop and get a cup of coffee (which costs $4). This might seem silly, but why would coffee service stop at 6 am? I am not looking for a latte, just a basic cup of Joe. At the nightly cost and caliber of this hotel, it is really odd to not have this. Many popular hotel chains at $100 per night offer full breakfast buffets, why wouldn't a five star have coffee out until 8 am? I can't imagine that would cost the hotel a dime. Moving on to the pool, the pool didn't open until 10 am on some mornings and closed very early during the evening. If you have kids, you know they are up early and want to go to the pool. And night swimming is one of the fun things to do if you are a kid. The pool should be open from 8 am until 9 pm at night. Lastly, check in is a bit of a nightmare. Everyone checks in at the same time and rooms are not necessarily ready. Our room wasn't ready until 5 pm and the front desk didn't seemed to care much about that at all. All small things overall, and we did really enjoy our stay there. Our room was lovely, and it is a great resort, they just need to take care of the details. After all, when on vacation, details is what makes the difference between an average experience and a memorable one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sharon, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Broadmoor was a fantastic resort/convention experience.

Its a first class experience all the way around.

Service- excellent. They seem to have a massive staff, who are trained to be very friendly and helpful, and they are everywhere.

Rooms -- Very good. Large soft beds, with top notch sheets & pillows. No skimping there. Chandaliers in the rooms, and large sized rooms as well.

Bathroom -- impeccably clean, tv in the there as well. No soaking tub, but still a solid A-.

Golf -- Played the mountain course, which was wonderful. Nice combo of holes with a great view, and tough greens. Recommended but the price is astronomical even for a resort course.

Property -- Its massive, truly a complex. You could easily spend a week here with all the activities, the pools, tennis, etc. The views of the mountains are also just amazing. The gym and pools were quite nice as well.

Convention purposes-- nice convention center, and the ballrooms were also well-planned. the PLAY high end bowling alley was new and we had a great time there also.

Food/Bars -- High quality, even the casual meals. Bars were overpriced even by resort standards though. Room service was good, and priced as expected.

Overall, its just an opulent, luxurious place with amazing grounds and great service. Perfect for a couple's getaway or a corporate event. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wellington, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Broadmoor exceeds in excellence. My husband and I went to the Broadmoor for our 25th anniversary. We were greeted at the gate with "Happy Anniversary". We were then upgraded to one of the cottages. We went for a walk and when we returned to our room, there was a bottle of Champagne on ice with two glasses. We had dinner at the Penrose Room (delicious food) at the hotel and again, the staff wished us a Happy Anniversary.

We stayed through the weekend. The work-out/spa is fabulous. Lots of great equipment. The shops surrounding the Broadmoor are also wonderful.

Room Tip: If you can't get one of the cottages, try for one of the rooms that overlook the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a family reunion here and experienced great service. They have reasonable food quallity and expense. the grounds are exceptionally maintained. The pool and service surrounding was exceptional. We felt like we never had to leave the property. I will return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Broadmoor? Share your experiences!