“Awesome full breakfast buffet” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“Awesome full breakfast buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

This hotel was great. Check in was a breeze complete with complimentary cookies. The room was clean and served our purposes. The lobby is very nice with an atrium, sitting area and indoor swimming pool. The pool is not heated so we did not swim, but people were actactually swimming in there. Very convenient to shopping! Walmart and a nice Mall were in walking distance along with plenty of places to eat. They allowed pets which was great 'cause Mom travels with her little Yorkie. The breakfast staff was friendly, chatty. The staff went out of their way to help. The actual complimentry breakfast was the best. They had bacon, sausage, omlets made to order, eggs, potatoes, biscuits, french toast, cereals and breads, bagels fruit etc.. Awesome. We could use the computers/internet for free. We will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

This is the best place for us in Colorado Springs, the rooms are spotless, the service is great, this part of town is super and the food superb. This will be the first place we call in the future. Highly recomend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Sherman, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

My family and I recently stayed at the Best Western Academy Hotel. We had a decent stay but was hoping for it to be somewhat better based on some of the previous reviews. We stayed in an Executive Tower room and thought the room itself was nicely decorated but were disappointed by the bathroom and the AC in the room. The bathroom was very small and did not appear to have been renovated as the rest of the room had been. There was a crack in the ceiling above the shower, wall paper was peeling off the wall and dirty in other areas around the vanity, and the bathtub had a stain near the drain. Also, the AC in the room never truly cooled the room effectively even when we turned the unit down to 68 during the night (which we normally left at 75 or above at the hotels in other cities while on vacation before and after leaving this hotel). My wife went to Wal-Mart after the first night and bought a small fan that helped make the rest of our stay more pleasant temperature wise.

Our kids enjoyed the pool which is located in the open lobby area and there is also a small hot tub (outside) and game room. Pool stays open 24 hours a day but after 10:00 p.m. rules posted said it was reserved for those 21 and above but we did not have any issues when we stayed past the posted times since there were other families using the pool then too. I was pleased with the free wireless internet service which was nice to have during our stay.

Breakfast was good each morning and consisted of basically anything you wanted such as omelettes, waffles, eggs, sausage, bacon , fruit, etc. We were very satisfied with this which was a great way to get our day started as we toured the Colorado Springs area.

My wife did use the laundry facilities in the hotel and was disappointed with just one older washer and dryer that several were having to wait in line to use.

I will say the location for this hotel is convenient to the Air Force Academy but if you are looking at going to Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, the zoo, etc. then there is somewhat of a drive to these tourist attractions.

Overall - this hotel was probably a little better than just average, but when compared to two other hotels we stayed at while traveling during this time, we were satisfied but not overjoyed.

We did feel the cost was a good value - we stayed several nights and paid less than $100 a night. We would recommend staying here to others. There were several restaurants, Wal-Mart and a mall very close by. Colorado Springs is a beautiful city with so much to do for everyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We were traveling south through I-25 and did not get as far as we thought we would before tiring out. We stopped at the first exit in Colorado Springs and were hoping to find a decent hotel when we saw the Best Western sign. We did not have a reservation and showed up late with a pet. I was surprised they were not only pet friendly but the price was much lower than expected. The rooms were like new, very comfortable and convenient to the outside. The lobby atrium area was beautiful. In the morning we were blown away by the extensive breakfast choices and two separate serving areas. I've never had a better breakfast in a hotel and would have expected to pay at least $10 each for such a meal in a restaurant. That really made the price of the room one of the best deals we have ever experienced. If we ever drive through Colorado again we will definitely make our plans to stay here again.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
gold river
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

My daughter is a Cadet at the United States Air Force Academy. We went to the Best Western Academy Hotel in April for orientation. Our reservations were incorrect and they only had us for the second night not the first night, they did fix the problem.

I had already booked for June and September at the time of this stay, June was for the Intake day for my daughter and September was for parents weekend. While I was there in April they said I must pay a deposit on my room for parents weekend. This was understandable it is a very busy weekend.

Unfortunately my daughter broke her fibula at basic training and is being sent home to return the next year. I called to cancel the reservation and said if you can fill the room since I am giving you two months notice can I have my deposit back, this was for two rooms so it is close to 300 dollars. Amanda told me no and in fact if we book the room it makes no difference, we still will keep your money its legal for us to do it. I said it may be legal but it is defenitely not ethical to do this to an injured military person's family. She said that is our policy.

She told me she would have the manager call me the next day which never happened so I called back the next evening and was told again by Amanda they would not give me a refund under any circumstance. I said I know plenty of the other parents that can take the room and she said no this is not transerrable. So basically this is a money grabbing tactic on their part, how hard would it be to rent the room in two months, they are incredibly busy for parents weekend. This was a devastating injury for our family, considering the academy is turning my daughter back.

Another thing, I reserved Tuesday and Wednesday for intake day. Later I tried to add Thursday because I found out we could be there for the swearing in ceremony. The best western did not have thursday available so I reserved another hotel. I called three times to make sure thursday had not opened up and to confirm my reservation. When we arrived on Tuesday I inquired to see if Thursday had become available, he said thursday is available but not Wednesday. I said i have had Tuesday and Wednesday reserved for months. He said we got busy so we gave it to someone else (probably at a higher rate) I had to argue to keep the room another night I told them it was my daughers last night of civilian life we couldn't be worried about where to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Kenosha, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I must admit, I was skeptical about staying in a Best Western, as I've had bad experiences in the past. I'm glad I got over my hesitation.

Stayed in one of the renovated rooms with my family during a recent trip to Colorado Springs. The room was very nice. Good sheets, clean, nice TV, plenty of space, wireless high-speed internet... typical things you hope for in a hotel. But what really got me was the additional niceties.

- Fresh cookies at front desk
- Bag of "goodies" waiting for us in the room (bottled water, Oreos, Doritos, Gardetto Mix, a tube of toothpaste, a nice new Schick razor (not disposable), deodorant, among other things. I really expected to see a sign telling me that I'd be charged for anything I opened, but to my surprise, I was informed that it was a gift.
- Pool was NEVER crowded, was open 24 hours, went as deep as 8 feet
- Full hot breakfast included (eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, muffins, french toast, cereal, hash browns, fresh made-to-order omelets, Belgian waffles with syrup, strawberries and FANTASTIC fresh whipped cream, juice and milk). The restaurant staff were really great, too.
- Good location with several shopping/restaurant options nearby.

ONE COMPLAINT: we noticed a small leak in our toilet - a trickle (seemingly clean water) that seemed to be coming from plumbing by the base of the wall. We called the front desk at 5:00 in the afternoon and were promised that someone would be by to look at the leak that evening, but nobody came as of the next morning at 7 a.m. when we checked out.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Included in our room was a breakfast out of this world! It was not the typical continental breakfast. Eggs, Bacon, Omlets! It was excellent and the rooms were very clean!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs? Share your experiences!