“"Colorado Connection"” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Grandy, North Carolina, United States
“"Colorado Connection"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Second stay at this hotel. Wife and I really enjoyed the phenomenal staff. Patrick (Chef) who handles breakfast is an incredible and entertaining culinary professional. His omelets and friendliness are worth the stay. Great location and puts you close to so many great attractions (Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs, Cave of the Winds, Horse back riding @ Garden of the Gods) and so much more. Excellent voucher system ($10 per night) and the biggest buffet spread every morning from 6am - 10 am.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This was our second time staying here. My reasons for only 3 is, atrium/ main lobby area was freezing! That is where their pool is. Thermometer in pool area said 60 degrees. Water was not warm either. My kids didn't stop shivering! And the outdoor hot tub was over 104. My feet is all I could get in. Beds were comfortable, gel like mattress. Shower pressure was good. Breakfast was very good and well stocked. Made to order omelettes were good. Gentleman preparing them was the happiest and friendliest man. $10 voucher for their restaurant for each night stay helps!

Green Features: They have dispencers of soaps, lotion, shampoo and conditioner. No little bottles. Sign said what they were such as made wit aloe etc. and also made in USA!
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We live in Colorado Springs, and decided to be spontaneous and surprise our 10 y.o. by staying at the hotel overnight. Overall, the experience was good. Check-in was very quick/easy.

We stayed in the B part of the hotel, which doesn't have an elevator. Fortunately, we didn't have lots of luggage; I'd advise you to inquire, when you are making the reservation, on where your room is located, in case dragging luggage up the stairs is an issue for you.

The breakfast is fantastic. Patrick remembered us from our initial 4 day stay two years ago when we were looking to move to CO. He is very personable and does his best to make omelettes to order, but know he sometimes gets the pans/plates mixed up. We didn't complain, but I had asked for vegetables and ham, and was missing the ham, whereas my daughter had asked for no ham and got ham. We liked the crispy bacon, too - yummy!

We booked the hotel because of the indoor pool, thinking we could spend some quality time playing in the pool as a family. Unfortunately, there were three negatives: 1) There was a wedding reception happening, and a sign was posted on the pool that the pool would be closed from 4:00-4:30 - we weren't told this at check-in, so I went down, in my swimsuit, to find out we couldn't be there. 2) The pool was extremely cold - so cold that my husband and I didn't get in. 3) I'm not sure how often the pool is cleaned, but my daughter found a few bandaids, as well as an earring at the bottom of the pool. A negative: the tile, surrounding the pool is crumbling. The positive: it IS an indoor pool, and my daughter had fun. There are kick boards and balls for the kids to play with. We like the atmosphere - it feels like you are in a tropical, private pool area.

Because the pool was so cold, we ventured outside where there is a hot tub - and, boy was it hot! We had to ease into it, but once in, sat for a few minutes. I did observe, while watching my child in the (cold) pool, that lots of adults/teens were saying how cold the pool was, and went to the hot tub, so the hot tub was pretty crowded.

About the room: we were in block B on the second floor and were comfortable. The temperature of the room was perfect. There was a microwave and refrigerator, which we didn't use. The two queen beds/pillows/linens were quite comfortable. The water pressure was good, and the room was somewhat clean. The sheets looked clean, the "eye level" furniture seemed clean, as well as the bathroom. The top of the TV armoire was very dusty. The back of the bathroom door was disgusting. The grout under the soap tray was starting to peel away and was moldy.

Speaking of dust, don't look up while you are eating your breakfast! All the light fixtures, plants, and everything above eye level have a thick layer of dust.

Would I stay again - yes, if my child wanted to. I probably won't go out of my way to stay here again on my own. I think the hotel needs some TLC to update decor and make it cleaner.

Room Tip: I don't know if there is an elevator at this hotel - there wasn't in block B; maybe there is...
Green Features: The bathroom has soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensers. Ours was full, but read where some rooms' were empty. I like this feature - have it at home!
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I loved the Academy. Not only did they give you an amazing breakfast buffet with an omelette and waffle station, but they also gave you $10 for another meal in the hotel if you booked direct through them. Fireplace, Nintendo wii, ping, pong, foozeball, indoor pool, Jacuzzi, who could ask for more? Rooms were great, people were great. Very pleased!

Green Features: very impressive, even recycling bins in the room and refillable shampoo and soap dispensers in the bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Ault, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Kids enjoyed it. Breakfast is awesome. Pool didn't seem heated to me. We were in Building B on the second floor, and surprisingly there's no elevator for Building B. Older facilities, but they do a good job trying to keep it up. Probably a very nice hotel in the '90s. Don't recommend it for romantic getaways. Better for families.

Room Tip: A/C didn't work all that great in our room.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best experiences I've had in a hotel thus far. From the moment you walk in, you are greeted by friendly staff and a beautiful lobby. Rooms are large and comfortable. Continental breakfast is amazing. I would recommend this hotel to all traveling through colorado springs.

• Stayed August 2014
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Nice convenient location with comfortable rooms and Excellent Breakfast. Very comfortable foam beds with a nice 52 inch TV with mountain view. The pool could have had a bit more privacy. Enjoyed a lot

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs? Share your experiences!