We live in Colorado Springs, and decided to be spontaneous and surprise our 10 y.o. by staying at the hotel overnight. Overall, the experience was good. Check-in was very quick/easy.
We stayed in the B part of the hotel, which doesn't have an elevator. Fortunately, we didn't have lots of luggage; I'd advise you to inquire, when you are making the reservation, on where your room is located, in case dragging luggage up the stairs is an issue for you.
The breakfast is fantastic. Patrick remembered us from our initial 4 day stay two years ago when we were looking to move to CO. He is very personable and does his best to make omelettes to order, but know he sometimes gets the pans/plates mixed up. We didn't complain, but I had asked for vegetables and ham, and was missing the ham, whereas my daughter had asked for no ham and got ham. We liked the crispy bacon, too - yummy!
We booked the hotel because of the indoor pool, thinking we could spend some quality time playing in the pool as a family. Unfortunately, there were three negatives: 1) There was a wedding reception happening, and a sign was posted on the pool that the pool would be closed from 4:00-4:30 - we weren't told this at check-in, so I went down, in my swimsuit, to find out we couldn't be there. 2) The pool was extremely cold - so cold that my husband and I didn't get in. 3) I'm not sure how often the pool is cleaned, but my daughter found a few bandaids, as well as an earring at the bottom of the pool. A negative: the tile, surrounding the pool is crumbling. The positive: it IS an indoor pool, and my daughter had fun. There are kick boards and balls for the kids to play with. We like the atmosphere - it feels like you are in a tropical, private pool area.
Because the pool was so cold, we ventured outside where there is a hot tub - and, boy was it hot! We had to ease into it, but once in, sat for a few minutes. I did observe, while watching my child in the (cold) pool, that lots of adults/teens were saying how cold the pool was, and went to the hot tub, so the hot tub was pretty crowded.
About the room: we were in block B on the second floor and were comfortable. The temperature of the room was perfect. There was a microwave and refrigerator, which we didn't use. The two queen beds/pillows/linens were quite comfortable. The water pressure was good, and the room was somewhat clean. The sheets looked clean, the "eye level" furniture seemed clean, as well as the bathroom. The top of the TV armoire was very dusty. The back of the bathroom door was disgusting. The grout under the soap tray was starting to peel away and was moldy.
Speaking of dust, don't look up while you are eating your breakfast! All the light fixtures, plants, and everything above eye level have a thick layer of dust.
Would I stay again - yes, if my child wanted to. I probably won't go out of my way to stay here again on my own. I think the hotel needs some TLC to update decor and make it cleaner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs! Our Family owned and operated full service hotel is nestled around the Colorado Rocky Mountains with glorious views of Pike's Peak and is conveniently located off I-25 near the U.S. Air Force Academy. The Academy Hotel consistently offers unbeatable value, amazing amenities and exceptional service. Lodging at our hotel provides leisure and business travelers with a wide variety of famous Colorado Springs attractions such as the historic Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Garden of The Gods, Cave of The Winds, Royal Gorge, the Cog Rail Way and more! Guests marvel about The Academy Hotel's luxurious atrium filled with majestic fountains and lush greenery, a warm and inviting fireside lounge, indoor pool, sun deck with hot tub, fitness center, business center, children's arcade and onsite dining at the Falcon's Bar & Grill - with delicious American Cuisine daily specials and happy hour from 3:00 p.M.-6:00 P.M. Late arrivals enjoy the new 24 Hour Convenient Store located by the front desk. Wake each morning to a complimentary hot breakfast with waffle and made to order omelet bar! Other free amenities include: high speed Internet, HBO(R) movies, business center services, parking and unlimited local calls.Nine conference, banquet and meeting rooms accommodate 350 people -making The Academy Hotel the ideal location for weddings, reunions, social events, holiday buffets and corporate conferences. Tower rooms have been updated with a warm blend of natural earth tone decor, 50" flat screen TVs,Gel Memory Foam Mattresses, traditional quality furnishings, microwave, mini fridge and upper floors are served by Elevator. All rooms feature comfortable beds with luxurious triple sheeted linens,mini fridge & Microwave.Whether your stay is for business, pleasure or special event, the attentive staff at The Academy Hotel will ensure your stay is comfortable and memorable! Family Owned and Operated for over 30 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Colorado Springs
- Colorado Springs Best Western
- Academy Hotel Colorado Springs