“Second Time Staying; Breakfast is Amazing” 4 of 5 stars

Best Rate $10 Dining
Ranked #17 of 106 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“Second Time Staying; Breakfast is Amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We live in Colorado Springs, and decided to be spontaneous and surprise our 10 y.o. by staying at the hotel overnight. Overall, the experience was good. Check-in was very quick/easy.

We stayed in the B part of the hotel, which doesn't have an elevator. Fortunately, we didn't have lots of luggage; I'd advise you to inquire, when you are making the reservation, on where your room is located, in case dragging luggage up the stairs is an issue for you.

The breakfast is fantastic. Patrick remembered us from our initial 4 day stay two years ago when we were looking to move to CO. He is very personable and does his best to make omelettes to order, but know he sometimes gets the pans/plates mixed up. We didn't complain, but I had asked for vegetables and ham, and was missing the ham, whereas my daughter had asked for no ham and got ham. We liked the crispy bacon, too - yummy!

We booked the hotel because of the indoor pool, thinking we could spend some quality time playing in the pool as a family. Unfortunately, there were three negatives: 1) There was a wedding reception happening, and a sign was posted on the pool that the pool would be closed from 4:00-4:30 - we weren't told this at check-in, so I went down, in my swimsuit, to find out we couldn't be there. 2) The pool was extremely cold - so cold that my husband and I didn't get in. 3) I'm not sure how often the pool is cleaned, but my daughter found a few bandaids, as well as an earring at the bottom of the pool. A negative: the tile, surrounding the pool is crumbling. The positive: it IS an indoor pool, and my daughter had fun. There are kick boards and balls for the kids to play with. We like the atmosphere - it feels like you are in a tropical, private pool area.

Because the pool was so cold, we ventured outside where there is a hot tub - and, boy was it hot! We had to ease into it, but once in, sat for a few minutes. I did observe, while watching my child in the (cold) pool, that lots of adults/teens were saying how cold the pool was, and went to the hot tub, so the hot tub was pretty crowded.

About the room: we were in block B on the second floor and were comfortable. The temperature of the room was perfect. There was a microwave and refrigerator, which we didn't use. The two queen beds/pillows/linens were quite comfortable. The water pressure was good, and the room was somewhat clean. The sheets looked clean, the "eye level" furniture seemed clean, as well as the bathroom. The top of the TV armoire was very dusty. The back of the bathroom door was disgusting. The grout under the soap tray was starting to peel away and was moldy.

Speaking of dust, don't look up while you are eating your breakfast! All the light fixtures, plants, and everything above eye level have a thick layer of dust.

Would I stay again - yes, if my child wanted to. I probably won't go out of my way to stay here again on my own. I think the hotel needs some TLC to update decor and make it cleaner.

Room Tip: I don't know if there is an elevator at this hotel - there wasn't in block B; maybe there is...
Green Features: The bathroom has soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensers. Ours was full, but read where some rooms' were empty. I like this feature - have it at home!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I loved the Academy. Not only did they give you an amazing breakfast buffet with an omelette and waffle station, but they also gave you $10 for another meal in the hotel if you booked direct through them. Fireplace, Nintendo wii, ping, pong, foozeball, indoor pool, Jacuzzi, who could ask for more? Rooms were great, people were great. Very pleased!

Green Features: very impressive, even recycling bins in the room and refillable shampoo and soap dispensers in the bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Ault, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Kids enjoyed it. Breakfast is awesome. Pool didn't seem heated to me. We were in Building B on the second floor, and surprisingly there's no elevator for Building B. Older facilities, but they do a good job trying to keep it up. Probably a very nice hotel in the '90s. Don't recommend it for romantic getaways. Better for families.

Room Tip: A/C didn't work all that great in our room.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best experiences I've had in a hotel thus far. From the moment you walk in, you are greeted by friendly staff and a beautiful lobby. Rooms are large and comfortable. Continental breakfast is amazing. I would recommend this hotel to all traveling through colorado springs.

• Stayed August 2014
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Nice convenient location with comfortable rooms and Excellent Breakfast. Very comfortable foam beds with a nice 52 inch TV with mountain view. The pool could have had a bit more privacy. Enjoyed a lot

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Leawood, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Good location, large rooms, free wifi, very nice free breakfast (fresh omelette bar), decent price. Saw a couple hairs in bathroom, and i dislike others' hair. 70s style throwback, you have to roleplay 70s style.

Room Tip: Omelette bar is dank
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Comfortable rooms, nice pool, great restaurant with complementary FULL breakfast. John the hotel manager was always around, saw him several times personally picking up towels and empty dishes around the pool area. It really speaks to the dedication of the staff that the GM cared enough to oversee little details like that. My girls practically lived at the pool which had the nice addition of complementary life jackets for the littler kiddos.There was also a nice game room and free Wii in the main area to keep them occupied. The beds and rooms were nice and comfortable.My room had a rain shower-head, heaven! Much better than the motels in Manitou. The only issue was staying in B block which meant there was no elevator but it was a minor detail (especially because we were on the ground floor). I will plan to stay here again when we visit Colorado Springs!

Room Tip: Room 179 is right off of the parking lot in block B. I was worried at first that the access to the d...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs? Share your experiences!