“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 107 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Myself and a coworker visited the site in preparation for taking a large group up in the coming months. The rooms were great the only thing I would have changed was the Air conditioner was older and we noticed a rip in the carpeting but other then that the staff and the facility was wonderful and we cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a mountain view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Perfect location for folks visiting the Academy. The staff is fantastic, very friendly and helpful - they really do care about your comfort and convenience. The free breakfast is the best hotel breakfast I've ever experienced, and their omelet chef is fantastic, best omelet in Colorado. Plus the $10 certificate for dinner makes for a nice dining option.
The not so good - our view was an exterior wall and the AC unit is in the room and was pretty loud when it kicked on. We ended up turning it off, which was OK as the room did not got hot. This was my second time staying at The Academy Hotel, and I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
Green Features: Fantastic staff and free cookies at the front desk when you check in.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Upon arriving it took the young lady about 15 minutes to find my reservation. It was a prepaid reservation that I had made a few months prior on Expedia. After that ordeal I went to the room and the keys didn't work. Ran back down, waited in line, fixed keys, went back, keys still didn't work, issued new keys, worked, until the next morning and had to have it done again. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. Didn't attend breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Centennial, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have to agree with Allen H. We were in room 153 and our toilet seat (not the lid that closes, but the seat that you lift up) would slide to the right every time you would sit down. At one point I thought it was going to break (and no, I am not fat...I am 5'9 and weigh 138). Not only is the lid cheap, the toilet is cheap too! At 4 am after just falling asleep I got up to use the restroom. I flushed, and seconds later as I walked around the corner back into the room I literally hear water pouring out so fast....I turned around and it was already flowing toward the carpet. Needless to say, I called the front desk. A guy with a plunger and 3 towels showed up. He plunged the toilet and left me to clean up the toilet water with THREE TOWELS! No gloves, nothing! So I had to use my feet (with shoes on) to try and clear the water which eventually had to just air dry because 3 towels wasn't going to get the job done. And yes, he said that was all the towels he could get at the time. You would think he would show up w/ a mop and some Lysol, and rubber gloves.... Ugh. It was a nightmare. I didn't go back to sleep after that, so I literally got about 30 minutes of sleep that night.

HOWEVER, I contacted the owner/general manager and he was very, very apologetic and he literally gave us the entire night for free!!! I was expecting a discount of some sort since I had to clean up the toilet mess myself, but I didn't expect them to pay for the entire night! So if the toilet was a little better, I would definitely say come stay at The Academy Hotel! Very very nice people. The guy who came w/ the plunger and towels was just young. I am sure he was trained on what NOT to do next time that happens.

Oh, and their all-you-can-eat breakfast is outstanding! Everything you can think of is there! And this is free! Yummy, now I am craving their waffles!

Room Tip: Please know, I would give the service a +5 if it weren't for the "toilet" incident!
Green Features: 153 is right near an outside door that you can hear slam often....ask for a different room if you get placed here!
Montrose, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was my second time staying at The Academy Hotel. We had the best time! We wanted a hotel we felt safe in and good stay for our money. The rooms are nice and super quiet- we didn't hear a thing while resting. The breakfast is lovely way more then the normal muffin. The personal are all friendly and helpful. Plus we got a discount at the bar and grill for booking with the hotel direct. We will stay here again!

Room Tip: Higher floor made it super quiet
Green Features: Love that the reuse and recycle. The little note around the room were nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Washington, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

THE BAD:
We stayed at the Academy Hotel in Room 122 on 25, 26, 27 and 28 May 2014. You cannot see outside anywhere through the window in Room 122, because the exterior wall faces other nearby exterior walls of the building. Hence, there is no sunlight or real daylight coming into the room through the window at any time, which makes the room quite dark, even when the blinds are open.during the day. There may be a lower, more uncomfortable toilet with a super-cheap, broken toilet lid somewhere in the world, but I believe it would be most difficult to find. When one finally gets sat all the way down onto the extra low toilet, you are almost looking between your knees. For old folks like us, that is extremely uncomfortable. On the other hand, the height of the toilet is probably just right for the 10-and-younger guests.

The adjustable-height swivel *chair(s) at the desk, would not stay in the elevated position. Rather they would unexpectedly and suddenly drop a few inches when you were sitting in them. (*We tried two different chairs, and both had the same problem.) These chairs likewise seemed to be of the super-cheap variety.

THE UGLY:
The colors in Room 122 are just plain drab, which makes the room a bit dull and dingy, especially given the lack of daylight. There were some fragments of facial tissue on the floor the entire time we were at this Hotel, which indicates the room was never vacuumed during our stay.

THE GOOD:
This Hotel is in a very good location with convenient freeway access/egress, and direct entry into the Air Force Academy on Academy Boulevard. The service at the Acadmey Hotel is exceptional with a very cordial, helpful and accommodating staff. The buffett breakfast is superior to any other buffet breakfast we have eaten at during the last few years. The variety is good, and the food is very good with fresh-made waffles and made-to-order omelets available. The eating area is spacious and pleasant, as it is located in a large indoor atrium. The large atrium also provides a very pleasant and comfortable place to visit with larger groups, rather than crowding into a single room or congregating in the lobby.

If Room 122 were representative of the what the Acadmey Hotel has to offer, I would never stay there again, even at dramatically reduced rates. However, based on the popularity of this Hotel, I have to believe staying in some of the other rooms provides a much more desirable lodging experience.

p.s. The bathroom facuet leaked profusely. Overall, I feel like I paid $120.00 per night for $79.00 per night lodging in Room 122.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 122!!
Green Features: The Academy Hotel is environmentally concious, and strives to minimize unecessary energy and water waste.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

My family stays here all the time. Great full breakfast buffet is always great to start and plan our day out!
Good location makes it easy to find: right off I-25, straight off South Gate of Air Force Academy

• Stayed May 2014