“Convenient in Colorado Springs” 4 of 5 stars

Best Rate $10 Dining
Ranked #18 of 106 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gulf Shores, Alabama, United States
“Convenient in Colorado Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just like other reviewers have stated, you really do get more than you pay for here. its conveniently located right off the freeway. We stayed here the night that all of the flooding happened in Boulder and this was such a welcome sight. Walking into this place is a sight that you just don't see anymore in most modern hotels. Its dimly lit, and looks like something straight out of a seventies lodge. There is a bar and restaurant on one side and on the other is a large sitting area with cozy leather furniture and a fireplace. Just beyond that is an indoor pool and gaming area. The whirlpool is outside. The rooms are quite large and the wi-fi was fast and easy to connect to. The bed was large and comfortable. The room was clean and the shower had good water pressure which is always a big issue for me in hotels, but the

However, the only problem that I had with this hotel was the staff acted as if they could care less about my complaints. The hallways and stair cases were wet from the rain and people coming in and out of the pool and no warning signs were put up. No elevators so you have to lug your belongings up the stairs. They allow pets and someone's dog was barking in the room down the hall and woke us up. I was not happy about that.

The breakfast made up for it though. By far the best lay out of food options for a hotel of this caliber. Hot, tasty, and well prepared.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor and away from the pool.
Green Features: I enjoyed that they did not use bars of soap and bottles of shampoo and conditioner. They have pump-based containers in the shower with body soap, shampoo and conditioner.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late and our reservation couldn't be found. No big deal. They made accommodations for us, except the rate was $20 higher than what I had booked online. We had come to the Springs to visit our son. He came to the hotel to have breakfast with us. The breakfast was fine. We were given 2 vouchers for my husband and I. A nice variety, but we've seen the same at many other hotels. My husband went to pay for our son's breakfast. $16!! Ridiculous! That alone has probably steered us away from staying at this hotel again. $8-10 would have been reasonable.

• Stayed October 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed here for two nights when we visited Colorado Springs during weekdays. The room rate is quite reasonable or even cheaper than hotels with the same ranking. There are some details I don't like, for example, there is no central air conditioning. I need to turn on AC to keep the air circulation. And the mattress is too soft for me, I didn't sleep quite well on puffy bed. The bath tub outlet seems clogged, the water flow is very slow.
The hotel has it's own strengths too!
The room is spacious, the included breakfast is wonderful, many choices and delicious. The location is close to shopping area. The staff are very friendly. The room rate is a bargain!

• Stayed October 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Checked into hotel and got free upgrade. Didn't spend anytime there except to sleep and breakfast however we were very impressed with what they offered especially for the price. King updated room with a hot breakfast with fresh omelette station cooked by Patrick and waffles. Yum! Easy check out and next to highway. Nice view from the room except the hotel Comfort Inn was blocking view a bit. That's minor.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brillion, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

After reading the reviews and seeing the photos, we were disappointed after our stay. Checkin was smooth and they allowed us to checkin a few hours early. We were given a room at the end of the hallway by a side exit. That was convenient but found out later that it left big problems getting a good wifi signal. We contacted the desk a few times but they blew us off. There were others in the hotel with the same problem. It is very important for many people to be able to access the internet consistently. Breakfast left much to be desired. My made to order omelet was burned on the edges. One of the outlets in the room was falling apart and there were large water stains on the ceiling. The first thing I had to do after we got in our room was kill a bug in the bathroom. Then I woke up with bug bites on my neck and chest and foot...bed bugs? Don't know... Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
John W, Owner at The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and please accept my sincere apology for the issues during your stay with us. I am disappointed and feel bad that we fell so short of our goal to provide each and every guest with a completely positive and memorable stay. I only wish these issues had been brought to my attention during your stay when corrective action could have been implemented. I will follow up with my Front Desk Staff to better communicate issues brought to them in the future. Cleanliness is of the utmost importance to myself and Staff, and is the primary reason we have been in business for over 32 years. In addition to a regular pest control program, our Housekeepers are specifically trained to detect any and all signs of bed bugs. To date, The Academy Hotel has been free of this problem. I would appreciate you contacting me directly at the Hotel so that I may properly follow up on this matter. As with the best kept home, an occasional bug can appear such as the one you had in the bath. While it is a rare occurrence, it is impossible to mitigate completely. I’m also surprised to hear about the issues with connecting to the WIFI during your stay and this was not resolved. Several years ago we brought fiber optic in to the Hotel and increased the bandwidth to about 3 times what most chain Hotels offer. I feel bad that you were not able to enjoy this complimentary amenity during your stay and will have my Maintenance Staff double check all access points throughout the Hotel for proper function and coverage. The Academy Hotel is proud to have received the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for the last 4 years in a row and I can assure you that your experience with us was extremely unusual. It is my hope that you will see fit to give us another chance on your next visit to Colorado Springs. I am positive you won’t be disappointed and we will gain another happy and loyal guest. Thank you again for your input which is always taken in a constructive manner in our ongoing effort for improvement.
John Wilkins
Owner
Seguin Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Our 4th year here. Since we come every year, we are ecstatic that we found you, Academy Hotel! Wilkins family, you do well. There is nothing lacking....all is wonderful, from the very clean and spacious rooms to the awesome omelet maker and his great personality.
There is a marked difference in a "family owned and operated" hotel from a corporate owned one. Since we travel a lot, we will ask for that in the future. ALL staff were cordial and polite. We truly thank you for making our experience unforgettable. See you next fall if not before.., THE BEDS were sooo comfortable. We gave a 5 star rating but would have given more if possible.
Randy and Mary Harkins, San Antonio,Tx.

Room Tip: Well, being from San Antonio, we hoped for a mountain view, and Caleb did his best and so we did see...
Green Features: We liked the idea of saving water, etc because we do the same at home. Good job, Academy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We celebrated a ship's union @ the Academy Hotel. The staff, the facilities and their benefits to customers are extremely appreciated, If I ever travel to Colorado Springs again, I would certainly book my hotel there. Everything was professionally handle to my liking. Highly recommend this establishment.

Room Tip: You need a lot of time there to see soooo much!
Green Features: Signage in the hotel rooms covered on a lot of this topic. They are doing their part.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs? Share your experiences!