“Authentic Colorado” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Denver, Colorado
“Authentic Colorado”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Not as nice as it's more famous neighbor, but I think this place is more fun. Four pools, a 35 acre lake with paddle boats and kayaks, tennis courts, and several dining options should keep a family pretty well occupied for a weekend stay. Check out the fire pit at night as well; you can get smores kits for that. I even saw someone who brought his own marshmallows.

The wireless works well throughout the resort, and you do not need to mess with a password to get online. I also like that there is a lot of parking, so you don't need to endure the hassle of a valet. You get an empty dorm-sized fridge in each room, which is nice if you are bringing your own drinks.

It is not as nice as the Broadmoor. The finishes in the rooms are not Broadmoor-quality, and I could easily hear people in the room above me. I get the feeling that if this place wants to still be regarded as a first class place in a couple years, it is going to have to endure some major interior and exterior renovations.

That being said, the place is a lot of fun, and I look forward to going back. I have more fun there than at the Broadmoor.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
CheyenneResort, General Manager at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We think we are a lot of fun too! Here at Cheyenne Mountain Resort we like to offer several different activities for all age ranges like our Kidz Zoo Breakfast and our Complimentary Brewery and Wine Tastings just to name a few. We like to give families several options keep them busy on top of all our amenities. Thank you for your review and for sharing your great picture of the fire pit too. We are looking forward to your return visit with us as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Lamar, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Our four day stay at the Cheyenne Mountain resort was a gift to us, from friends, so we did not know what to expect from the resort. From the initial entrance at the gateway, we were made to feel at home, and welcomed by every staff person that we met. Check in was fluid, and directions clear. The golf course was well served by very friendly and helpful staff in every area. The wait staff even talked about places to see in the area that were off the grid somewhat, which was very thoughtful of them-above normal to say the least. The main restaurant was excellent in it's staff service-knowledagable and friendly, and the evening meal provided the best steak and lamb that we have eaten in this country, and that is saying a lot. The meals are pricey, but food really good and service is great. I find that the breakfast is quite expensive for what one gets for the buffet, although it is all you can eat! I do not recommend the apple sausages-personal preference only!

The room was comfortable, clean and welcoming, the bed plush and restful, and the bathroom clean and amenable. The only extraneous noise was from the highway just eighty yards away from our room, but it was not unbearable at all. we highly recommend Cheyenne Mountain Resort to anyone form out of state or country.

Room Tip: Book well ahead of your desired dates, or early in the week.
Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
How wonderful to receive a four day stay with us as a gift from friends. You have some great friends and we’re glad they chose Cheyenne Mountain Resort. Your review of our resort is perfect. Our staff loves to go above and beyond to give our guests the best experience possible during their stay and we are thrilled to hear you felt this from all of them. Hearing that you experienced the best steak and lamb you have eaten in this country right here at our Mountain View Restaurant is such a great compliment. Thank you for your review, your kind words and your recommendation. We hope you had such a great stay with us you will return for another in the near future.
Cibolo, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The view out of our room was great. However, there are rooms there that have horrible views, so make sure to request a Cheyenne mountain view, otherwise you will be disappointed.
The room was nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. The "resort" is large and pretty nice.
The service was a hit & miss. They have a very young staff there which can get you in front of someone that doesn't truly understand how to provide customer service, and can have a bratty attitude. We made the mistake of ordering room service for breakfast. The prices were ridiculously high and the food quality was nowhere near a reflection of the price tag. They had a huge dining area which we joined for a dinner buffet. It would've been nice if it wasn't for bus loads of people from some church group that took over most of the buffet. They swept through the buffet and wiped out most of the good food, and were very loud to where my fiancé and I couldn't enjoy a peaceful dinner. It was very expensive but once again, fell short of helping us with a nice relaxing getaway.
We enjoyed the weather, the view, and that they allowed dogs. With just a little tweaking, this could be a great resort that we would revisit.

Stayed June 2014
We are happy to hear you found your room here at Cheyenne Mountain Resort to be nicely decorated with a comfortable bed and great views. Our guests are encouraged to review our website for all information on our resort and also for room descriptions. We never like to hear that some aspects of a guests stay fell short of their expectations. It is disappointing to hear that you felt as though our staff here was too young. Our wish is to have enough staff on hand for all guests to receive the experience they deserve while staying with us. With the hiring of any new staff we know it may take them a bit to get acclimated with the resort and all of the information that goes along with it and we hope that our guests will understand and have some patience so they may continue to grow along with us. Our Seafood and Prime Rib Buffet is a very popular dining option which is enjoyed by guests of the hotel as well as guests who may join us just for the buffet. We apologize if you felt that other guests were able to experience more of the food or were too loud for you and your fiancé. Thank you for your feedback, we do hope that you will decide to return to us in the future and allow us the opportunity to exceed all of your expectations.
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

First of all, I have to say the staff was friendly and helpful and wanted me to have a good experience but this place needs upgrading and maintenance. We checked in and went to our room. It was on the lower level, below grade and difficult to get to. The view was just of the driving range and no mountain view at all. The room was cramped and dark. I drove back to the front desk (yes drove, everything is very spread out). I said the room was not going to work and asked about what upgrades were available. The first thing the front desk person offered was and upgrade that would cost $400 more than the $259 I was paying - so an upgrade was $649 total? Turns out the front desk person was new and didn't know that an upgrade doesn't mean to the Presidential Suite. I got on the phone and called the Broadmoor (where I should have stayed to begin with) and could get a newly remodeled room (575sf) for $375 - should have gone! The manager didn't want to lose my business and she offered the King Suite (basically 2 regular rooms, one made into a living room) for $100 more (should have been $200). I said ok as I didn't want the hassle of moving and checking into the Broadmoor (should have gone). SO the room was nice enough but there were light bulbs out (2 - one in the bathroom, not an easy scenario). The toilet seat was totally loose to the point it was difficult to sit as it was sliding so much. An easy fix but at $359, I didn't think I should be screwing down the seat. After I crawled in to bed (very comfortable bed and bedding), I decided I wanted an extra pillow. I went to the closet and was happy to find 2. When I pulled it off the shelf, it was soaking wet. The vent for the air exchanger was in the ceiling of the closet. Apparently there was a leak somewhere and the pillows were soaked. It was pretty gross. I was in my pajamas so didn't want to deal with housekeeping or maintenance. At 8:15 in the morning, housekeeping knocked on the door to clean.... SERIOUSLY??? I was awake and working but if I had been truly vacationing and wanting to relax - I would be pretty frustrated. We ate in the restaurant twice (2 times too many). The night we checked in I was tired and didn't want to drive to town. I asked about a good steak and the front desk said the Country Club onsite... but failed to mention they were not open on Mondays. We opted for the other onsite restaurant. The service again was great, the food was not very good. There was a $30 buffet that was work about $18.95. Really, really poor selections - none worth eating. I did have a fabulous Mojito, one of the better I've had. My son had a steak that seemed to be pretty decent but it was $32.... this is an upscale buffet-type restaurant, $32 for a steak? I had to work in the morning so the breakfast buffet was the best option. Again, MARGINAL at best. The pool is simple and uninspiring... surprised in this day of "spa-type" experiences that they haven't done more to make the pool a refreshing place to be. It is billed as a resort after all. If you aren't golfing, I don't think there is much of a "resort feel". I don't want to take away from the staff. They were all friendly, smiling and seemed to want to provide good service. They obviously have good customer service training here but it can't make up for a worn, tired resort that needs a restaurant make-over. I am definitely going to the Broadmoor next time. Even the least expensive room offers a true "resort experience" and the food is great - as a resort should be.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Although we are grateful to hear that you sincerely thought the staff here was friendly and helpful always wanting to provide you with great service for an exceptional stay, we are disappointed to read several other aspects of our hotel fell short of your expectations. Let us first apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding you may have experienced during your room change and upgrade. We encourage guests to call the front desk for any concerns related to their room so that we can address and remedy any situation at that time and make your experience here the best it can be. We are also disappointed to hear that our restaurant and buffet also did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your review and your feedback, your comments will be shared with our team.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here for a conference and brought my kiddos along. Nice layout, good food and service. The property needs some repair in outdoor structure but the beds were very comfortable and the room service was great. The fitness center is not what it appears on the website. Kids 8 and under eat free at one of the restaurants in the main resort which has plenty of kid friendly food and dessert included! Close to Colorado Springs attractions like the zoo and Pike's Peak.
I would return.

Room Tip: Rooms down the hill facing the golf course are quiet and private. These rooms are closer to the kids...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Nothing makes us happier than to hear that a guest had such an enjoyable stay with us at Cheyenne Mountain Resort they would return. How great is it that you could bring your kids along for a conference at our resort and be able to have some quality family time. Thank you for your review and kind words on our good food and service. We look forward to your return visit.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I really wanted to like this resort. It was our first visit to Colorado Springs and while the city itself has a lot to offer and its residents are very friendly and kind, the resort was a huge failure. IT is a very old place and the rooms are obviously run down. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything (literally) from the room above you. I felt like we are stuck in one those cheep motels that you see on the movies.
The room service is also very poor. They did not vacuum our room or cleaned the bathroom for all seven days. One day they did not even take the trash out. And the list goes on and on. The AC was very loud it sounded like it's broken. Pools are not grounded so with every little thunder you can't use them. By the way, pools, tennis courts, lake... everything belongs to neighboring Country Club too. Don't count on relaxing day at the pool! The whole neighborhood uses it and in the afternoon it gets very crowded. There is no sidewalks on the way toward the pools and you can't use the walking paths around golf course so don't count on a nice family walk after a long day full of adventures. On top of everything they changed their prices after we booked our vacation and without letting us know simply charged our credit cards that extra money. That was the last drop. I really don't like to write bad reviews about hotels but with that action they overstepped all boundaries. After many - many emails, they apologized and returned our money back but still - I did not expect that stress after my vacation. Simply, it was nightmare - never ending nightmare.
On the bright side, the location is really great. The hotel is 10-15 minutes away from any of the attractions. The view from the terrace is stunning and the buffet breakfast was quite nice. The golf course is also very nice.
So it all depends on what are you looking for. Still, I think that this hotel is very expensive for the service they provide.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate your acknowledgement of our location so close to the area attractions along with the compliments on our views and buffet breakfast. We are however very disappointed to hear that our resort did not meet your expectations. We apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding related to your credit card charges. In this forum without having all the information at hand, it is difficult to respond to but we are very happy to hear that the matter was resolved. Thank you for your feedback, your comments will be further reviewed with our team.
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Though this property is advertised as a "Resort", there is a reason that they must list their rooms at discount rates via online travel sites. No one would want to stay more than once at this location at the advertised price.

Not only was the "guaranteed 4 PM check in" not a true statement (one room was ready at 5:00 PM, the other at 5:30 PM), but neither of the onsite restaurants advertised as "open daily" were actually open, making us leave the property to go and visit a local favorite instead. The rooms that we had to check into late because they were "being cleaned" had unclean showers covered in dark black hair, closets with pieces of dog food and clothing from the previous tenants, and friendly bathroom spiders every day of our stay. The railing of the outdoor balcony looked OK, but when leaned upon collapsed, dumping our 6 year old into the grass (luckily we were on the ground floor!). Every noise from the floor above you could be plainly heard at all hours of the night and housekeeping tried to enter the rooms starting at around 6:30 AM, even with the quaint "Hibernating" (Do Not Disturb) displayed on the doorknob.

Cheyenne Mountain Resort, you have a beautiful view. You have a sprawling property with multiple pools, sports courts, and your own lake. Take it up a notch so that people actually want to stay and spend some money. Until then, any local "Mom and Pop" hotel in the Springs is most definitely a better bet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We are truly disappointed to hear our resort fell short of your expectations. Your opinion of our resort is very disheartening as well. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to your check-in being a little later than advertised and for any issues concerning your balcony railing. An issue such as this is something that we would not take lightly. Your comments and suggestions will be reviewed with our team. Thank you for your feedback.

Been to Cheyenne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!