“Extended Cottage Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
ST LOUIS, MO
“Extended Cottage Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the 100 year old, updated cottage adjacent to the hotel from mid- December 2012 to mid-Jan 2013. They have done a wonderful job decorating and outfitting the cottage with all the essential living stuff required for an extended stay. The king bed provided me some of the best sleep I have had in years. The location is convenient to many restaurants and activities. Mike is a fantastic owner/manager. He was always available when we had a question or a need. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have stayed at Hotel San Ayre many times and look forward to many more. Great location and very reasonable prices. Walk to grocery store, Dominoes, and several other restaurants. Professionally run and very clean. Can't ask for more really. Mike is very helpful and knowledgeable about the area.

Room Tip: Great value! Don't miss an opportunity to start a tradition.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My college summers were spent as a driver/guide for touring in the late 50s. The San Ayre took
me back to the area and ambiance of that time. Most enjoyable to once again immerse myself
in those memories. Stepping out from my room gave an immediate view of Pikes Peak where I had spent a lot of time.

As others have stated, the cozy room and friendliness of Mike make for a nice stay. Mike's diversified business background made for interesting conversations. Price was great for the extended stay. Locally, this area is known as the Westside or as it was originally known, Colorado City, from back in 1859. Many restaurants. My breakfast choice is the nearby Bon Ton.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Denison, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My sister, brother and I stayed in the cottage next door to the hotel. It was very nice and comfortable for the three of us. This was much better than a hotel that would have cost us a lot more for one room. Beware the bathroom is in the middle of the house and too small to dress in, bring a house coat for making runs to and from bedroom.
The area was great! Garden of the gods right behind us, Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City blocks away.

Room Tip: The Cottage
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Beautiful room with great ambiance and a very comfy vibe. Loved the wood floors and nice sized closet! Location was great and I would definitely stay there again. Great value as well! I would pick this place over any chain hotel room that is usually overpriced for what you get. I was so thrilled that I was able to do an early check in the day I arrived! Mike was very pleasant to work with and extremely helpful. Thank you for the great experience!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Note - this review is for the cottage on the property, and does not apply to other room types at the hotel.

I took a working vacation to Colorado Springs, and this cottage was a fantastic option for me and my fiancé.

There was one bedroom in back with a king bed, a mudroom with washer and drier, a dining area, large kitchen, front bedroom with queen bed, a bathroom, and a living room. The landscaping around the property was very nice and included a fire pit and charcoal grill. Mike was just great to us; super friendly and helped us with everything we needed.

What worked for us:
friendly host
size and layout
clean floors
washer and dryer with laundry soap provided
well-stocked kitchen
LOCATION! (walkable to Old Colorado City, very close to Manitou Springs and Garden of the Gods)
price

What could have been better:
king bed slopes downward from foot to head
internet speeds were at best 1.5 Mbps and sometimes less, which caused intermittent issues while I was working remotely across the internet

Just a few other notes about the condition of the cottage. It is a 100 year old house, with single-paned windows. Sounds from the road came straight through. We didn't find this a problem, and we noticed that there was a "spa sounds" machine provided. But those sensitive to road noise should be aware that this is an older house that sound passes right through. The door into the bathroom is not of a modern height. So my fiancé, who is 6'4", had to remember to duck to get into the bathroom without bumping his head. Water quality was excellent. We refilled our water bottles from the tap, and the taste was excellent. The shower was of a comfortable height and water pressure.

While the hotel website listed "spa quality bath amenities," I would suggest that you bring your own shampoo, because I did not see any provided in the room.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel San Ayre, and we look forward to staying there again when we travel to Colorado Springs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hotel San Ayre is a GREAT little motel with a wonderful ambiance. A more sophisticated feel without the upscale cost. Higher quality linens than you normally find, and the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in! Mike is extremely helpful and friendly. There is a bit of traffic noise at night, but that's not unique to this hotel. Any place along W Colorado Ave / Manitou Ave has the same issue so don't let that dissuade you from staying here. A great place for couples and friends to stay!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel San Ayre? Share your experiences!