“Great Atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
Middle Tennessee
“Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

My husband and I went to Academy Riding Stables last July. There was a terrible thunderstorm, but the staff advised us to wait around a while. It would probably pass. We waited a couple of hours, and just our luck, the weather did not pass.

Even though we didn't get to ride that day, we thoroughly enjoyed watching the horses and the handlers. Everyone was extremely courteous and the cowboy in charge was very witty and put everyone right at ease.

It was actually the highlight of our trip!

Castle Rock, Colorado
“A Great Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

First, I think the first two reviews are way off! The only thing I can think of is that those reviewers were doing things that were dangerous around horses. Horses can be dangerous and I can see the employees of the stables being adamant that safety precautions were followed. I hope they would be!

I am a Family Pastor at a church and we were doing a week long Day Camp. We took four field trips that week and Academy Riding Stables was the most popular! We took 175 people, most twelve and under, and did the one hour ride and some pony rides. The horses were beautiful and gentle enough to handle our young inexperienced riders. The staff was very professional and friendly. That many kids around horses can be dangerous and crazy. The staff organized the rides very well and never "freaked out" on any of our kids. Garden of the Gods is one of the most beautiful places on earth and made the ride that much better.

A GREAT ADVENTURE
At the end of the day we still had 23 people out on horses and a hail storm suddenly blew in. The weather to that point had been great. The hail was small but it came down hard and lasted for at least fifteen minutes. When the storm began I was in the office at the stables and became very concerned about the riders we still had out on the trails. I looked out and saw all of the remaining trail guides mount up on horses and ride off into the storm to go help bring everyone back. They brought the kids and adults back quickly and no one was injured (a few were a little shaken up). They even took a golf cart out to pick up a boy who wanted to get off of his horse. One of the trail guides gave one of our kids a hug and encouragement because he had been so brave and stayed on his horse. The office staff had towels and were drying off kids as they got off the horses. Obviously a hail storm in the middle of your ride is not what Academy Riding Stables wants but they did a wonderful job of handling the situation and making sure that everyone was safe. You could tell they really cared about the kids and went the extra mile to prove it.

I would definitely recommend Academy Riding Stables. Make sure to ask for the "hail ride". Some of the kids and even some of the adults who experienced the ride said it was tough but it was also the highlight of their week!

California
“Excellent Riding Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

My experience was completely different from the experiences reported by the two other reviewers. I took my 10 year old son for a 2 hour trip. He and I both enjoyed it very much. From my perspective, the staff was courteous, competent, and organized, the trails went through a beautiful area, and the horses seemed to be well taken care of and trained. I highly recommend the riding experience offered by Academy.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

My husband and I went visited on vacation and pretty much had the same experience. The staff was rude and impatient with us. They bawled one man for smoking but then one of them lit up a cigarette in the back. We did get to the Garden of the Gods (with the two hour trip) but it took so long they decided there wasn't enough time to rest. It might have been a nice time if the staff did a better job training us but they just herded us around. If I had to do it again (and it would take a team of wild horses to drag me) I sure would not pay the outrageous price to ride and then be treated like an idiot by an idiot.

Colorado Springs, CO
17 attraction reviews
“Really bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2006

I went on the Garden of the Gods tour with my family a couple years ago. Firstly, the staff are rude... my dad was taking some photos and rather than politely asking my father to stand behind the wall, he was gruffly told "You have move over there." The whole getting on the horse process is like an assembly line -- you all line up behind this wall, and they bring the horses out one at a time, you come out from the wall one at a time and get on your horse. There's no opportunity for you to take a photo of someone on the horse, and when I asked one of the staff if they could take a photo for us, he looked at me like I was on drugs and he had better things to do with his time than answer stupid tourist questions, and said "We don't really do that." The tour itself is on a trail that is really dusty, which is probably the norm, but you see Garden of the Gods from WAY far away, so it's not even worth it. I haven't tried any other companies in the area, so I can't recommend a good one. I can just say I won't go back to this one again.