“This B&B refused to honor a purchased package” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cheyenne Canon Inn

Save Saved
You added Cheyenne Canon Inn to your Saves list
Cheyenne Canon Inn
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2030 West Cheyenne Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO 80906   |
lincoln, ne
“This B&B refused to honor a purchased package”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

I had purchased vacation packages thur Luxurylink (which I have used many times) for this location, One package was for my son and his wife as a Christmas gift and a second one for my wife and I. On Jan. 21 we picked a date, I called LL and they sent and email to Cheyenne Canon and suggested that I follow-up with a phone call. I did and a female employee confirmed our dates and rooms. Two hours later a male who said he was the general manager for the location called me and said they would not honor the packages I had purchased thru LL, and further stated that this was peak summer time and they couldn't afford to sell the rooms for the packages I had purchased even though the guide lines in the purchase said they we valid Sunday thru Thur., May 1, 2010 thru Sept. 30th 2010. It is quite apparent that this business and I use the term with reservations has no professional or business ethics. If the rest of the service this location would provide are modeled after the general managers business approach I would suggest that no one go within a country mile of this place. The history of this location states it was a bordelio perhaps they are still trying to screw the customers...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We stayed here for one night in the Petite Maison--the little cottage set apart from the main house. We showed up shortly after 3 PM to check in and a scantily clad young woman laying out in the sun told us to let ourselves in, instead of ringing the bell as the front door instructions said. We wandered around the main floor for about 5 minutes and finally got tired of waiting, so called, "Helloooo". A man finally came downstairs and was full of excuses: their usual cleaning person was sick and their backup cleaning person was slow so he was helping clean also. Our cottage wasn't ready yet: they had had a full house the weekend before and were still trying to catch up. We hung out in the house for about 20 more minutes waiting on the cottage to be ready. He showed us to the cottage and explained how everything worked. We did enjoy the hot tub, but some of the jets didn't work. The shower was odd--2 heads, which was cool, but one was extremely hot while the other one was super cold, so we found if we turned them both on and stood in the middle, we wouldn't get scalded or frozen. The bed was saggy, so we both found ourselves in the middle by the time we woke up. The property does have some charm: it used to be a gambling house and brothel so it has a neat history and a nice view from the cottage. But it is old and creaky and leaky.

In the morning, our breakfast was supposed to be at 8 AM, but we showed up at 8:10 and it still wasn't ready. We finally ate around 8:30 after being given more excuses by the chef: he got in late the night before and was still trying to wake up.

When we were ready to leave, no one was in the office, so I just left our key in the area where the other ones were laying.

Maybe we just aren't "bed and breakfast" people, but in the future since we live in Colorado Springs, we'll just stay at home for our anniversary. I don't feel the $225 we paid was worth it at all.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Ahhhh. Miss the entry and you are in the views the Inn overlooks. Red rock canyon. Waterfalls. A road overlooking the city. BUT, make sure to drive in, just past the charming Visitors Center, turn right and you are there! Enter the drive carefully, bear cubs are known to play there.....unbooked rooms are open for your viewing....and will tempt you with themes, furnishings, VIEWS.....in the afternoon wine and a snack will be waiting...in the morning, Cletus will have a breakfast he began preparing at 4 am to please you....the yummy smells may, in fact wake you...choose to eat in the lovely formal dining room, on the balcony overlooking the fountain...or, you can have it in bed if you like.....

Twice we have stayed. Twice we were unsure our next stop was worth the leaving.......what would we miss the most? The view from our very bed? The chimes of the Will Rogers Shrine to the Sun right before us? The wildlife visiting? The canyon itself? The hot homemade cakes, eggs, bacon, fruit, coffee, juice, pancakes.....?

The grounds are worthy of exploring.....get a bike and do the canyon! drive it, hike it! And return to an Inn that beckons explorers of the canyon ......and is close to all the amenities of the city itself.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Westminster,CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

My sister and I met up in Colorado Springs for a quick visit in July and decided to give the Cheyenne Canyon Inn a try. I am very happy that we did, as someone previously mentioned it is a comfortable, quirky, historical BnB. Everyone from the Inn that we met was friendly and accomodating (Martin, Craig, Kevin). Upon our arrival, Craig promptly greeted us, checked us in and helped us carry our bags up to the Lookout Room. The Lookout Room was GREAT and has a beautiful view or should I say many beautiful views since you have a 360 degree view. I could go on and on but will limit myself to some pros and cons below.

Pros:
1. Beautiful Setting - the wet spring and summer has left the area very green and lush, which provides a striking contrast to the redish soil and large boulders. They also have many nice flowers on the property.

2. Warm and Friendly Innkeepers - not sure what was going on in some of the previous reviews but we found everyone to be friendly and willing to share the history of the inn. Loved the old photos of the inn and orginal family from the 1920's and 30's.

3. Great Breakfast - not only was the food good, it was plentiful and we ate out on the front porch with a great view. Our choices included: butterscotch waffles (which were very yummy), potatoes, grit fritters w/ green chili and cream cheese spread/dip, bacon,sausage, breads, fresh fruit, various juices, coffee and probably a few other items I am forgetting.

4. Very Comfortable Bed w/ nice linens!

5. The historical ambiance of the inn. The innkeepers have done a nice job of maintaining the historical feeling of the inn, while making sure it is also comfortable.
It was easy to imagine what the inn was like back in the 20's, 30's and early years.

Cons:
1. Our stay was too short - would have preferred a stay of at least 4 days.

2. The stairs (stairsteps) were quite narrow (depth from front to back of the actual step). This isn't the fault of the innkeepers but just something you may want to consider. I loved the Lookout Room but it is on the 3rd floor and has it's own set of stairs to get you from one level to the other. At least you get a workout each day.

I will definitely return to this Bed and Breakfast and am trying to figure out how we can squeeze in another weekend away for that purpose. No this place isn't the Broadmoor but it has considerably more character and a very warm and friendly atmosphere - so I would chose it over the Broadmoor anyday.

• Stayed July 2009
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Even in mid-winter, when the Inn is quiet, it's beautiful there. Although we had driven by it before, we'd never been inside. The downstairs common areas are huge; one room, the library, has a rock fireplace, plus computers -- and another, a glassed-in area that served as the casino area in the 20th century, is warm and comfortable. (Full of energy too, I might add.) There are plenty of nice areas on the first and second floors to dawdle and enjoy the atmosphere.

We stayed in the Lookout; the bedroom (literally not much bigger than the huge bed!) has a 360-degree view, thanks to the glass windows all around. (They used this area to keep a lookout for police coming up the canyon from the Colorado Springs station.) This is one of the nicest rooms to wake up to in the morning, with the light pouring in and beautiful views all around. I could live in this cozy room!

The sitting area is small but comfortable. It took us a while to figure out the cable tv, and the fireplace is electric...but still, it was nice. The bathroom has all the amenities, though you have to take care not to bump your head. (Ceilings are low in places.)

Breakfast was great, including chicken apple sausage and a very nice fruit cup. (We came in too late for the wine and appetizer, though the chocolate chip cookies kept out were appreciated!) Coffee and tea areas were not well stocked, though the microwave popcorn pack was a nice touch.

The most unusual part of the visit was the staff. We arrived to a seemingly-empty Inn...except for someone using the computer, who ignored us. Husband went downstairs later on and just happened to bump into Kevin, who wanted to know who HE was. Martin was chef next morning -- a relief, because we had not seen anyone around, and it was beginning to feel a bit creepy. Although he was quite polite, Martin was anything but forthcoming about places to go and see around Colorado Springs and surrounds. (He wasn't surly, though.)

When we checked out later in the morning, we had to look for quite some time before we (again) bumped accidentally into Kevin. We had to tell him we owed more money than what he said. And when we walked out the door, Martin was on the patio and asked if we'd paid our bill.

Incidentally, Kevin told Husband that Martin was the boss. I was amused to read in a recent review that Martin had told another guest that KEVIN was the boss! Who knows...perhaps their 'friendly' meter was at a low during this visit. But otherwise, we very much enjoyed our stay at the Lookout. The sad part: we never saw or heard any ghosts or haunted stuff. Darn. (Though the former gaming area did 'feel' rather energetic.)

• Liked — its mixture of history with a variety of decorated rooms to choose from
  • Disliked — the disappearing innkeepers!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

This inn has a lot of history, which was quite interesting. The rooms are large with high ceilings; big windows with period glass. The floors are extremely squeeky (need to be screwed down). Our host, Craig, was very friendly and did a great job making us feel welcomed. We had complementary wine and quesadilla, and Craig baked some delicious chocolate/chocolate chip cookies.

Compared to other B&B's we've stayed in, this one is in need of a little sprucing up. The mattress in our room was not real comfortable and the room had a good deal of dust. The breakfasts were mediocre; very little choice, no breakfast breads. The last one we had was pretty awful, undercooked and obviously an experiment.

• Liked — Hot tub; great fruit served
  • Disliked — breakfasts
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Great Falls, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

I had the opportunity to stay at this lovely inn the second week in March of 2008. I was attending a business conference over at the Broadmoor and was looking for a place to stay where I would not become a mere statistic.
Both Martin and Craig went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and welcome. I developed a bad cold in combination with some altitude sickness while I was there and I could not have been better taken care of by my own family! There was no way to "purchase" that kind of concern and attention - it came from the heart of a decent soul.
In addition, both Martin and Craig were very interesting to talk to. When you took the time to get to know them and indicate that you welcomed conversation, they were more than happy to tell you about the local area, the history of the inn, places to go visit, local wildlife, and all sorts of other interesting tidbits. Craig makes terrific cookies, by the way, and Martin is a terrific chef all around. I wouldn't trade them for anyone!
The inn itself has a more rustic "mountain" theme to it's decor, which I welcomed. It's not all frilly and fluffy. Plus, it's far more spacious than most B&B's and has a open feel to it which I'm quite partial to. I found the bed very comfortable and all the accessories quite satisfactory.
I would not hesitate for one moment to recommend this inn, and I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could manage to avoid that altitude sensitivity I appear to have (it's a bit over 6000 ft). I LOVED it there in all other respects!

• Liked — Martin and Craig were wonderful, the food is great, and the spacious feel is heavenly.
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of whatsoever.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Cheyenne Canon Inn? Share your experiences!