“Wanted to love it...” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mackenzie's Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #183 of 1,195 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Colorado Ave.
Description: We serve only the finest steaks, chops and seafood combined with innovative cuisine in an upscale, nostalgic environment. MacKenzie’s is perfect for a special occasion or casual gathering and features the finest service in the greater Colorado Springs area. Our cutting edge wine list, extensive martini menu and fine array of single malt scotches all add to the Chophouse tradition.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Wanted to love it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have been looking forward to dining here for a while. We wanted it to be a special occasion (no kids). My husband made reservations and asked if gluten free options would be available since he did not see anything on their website. I would have rather the person state they are unable to provide satisfactory service to those with special dietary needs rather than state the server would know (they didn't). Aside from the "cute" game of "can I have this" we played with the poor server as she ran between the table and kitchen...I have bigger complaints. I HATE multi-server restaurants. By this I mean the person who takes your order is not the same person who brings the order to the table. Our servers were fantastic but our service was AWFUL. It was awful because I asked for simple things (dressing on the side, not all over) and if the person who took my order picked it up from the kitchen they would clearly know NOT to take it to me with dressing all over because it was wrong. I have no idea why certain restaurants feel it is a good idea to sabotage their waitstaff by splitting them up this way, but I cannot be the only person on earth who likes to have my food served the way I asked. I KNOW most waitstaff makes sure to get the food to their customers the way they asked for it if they are given the opportunity to take the order AND deliver it. The food I did eat was wonderful and the atmosphere was great. So much potential in this place. The final disconnect was when one of our waitstaff told yet another staff member that we needed a box. This poor guy came over with the smallest box I have ever seen to box our leftovers. He agreed we needed a bigger box. This restaurant has all the makings of a great place and they certainly charge enough. Management needs to seriously get behind their great staff and stop screwing up the game plan. Let your GREAT staff just take care of their own tables, and please don't offer dietary restriction menu options to those who make reservations if you are not willing to offer options when such people arrive.

• Visited January 2013

Eugene, Oregon
“Two wildly different experiences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Consistency isn't this restaurant's strong point. Our first visit was with a group in a private dining room. The food was very good, the service was above-average if not stellar, the room was pleasant. Obviously, this is a place where you want to order a hunk of meat, and avoid anything else. My only observation is that I felt our meal was overly expensive.

Our second visit was largely a disaster. The service was diffident at best. We were treated as if we were yet another annoyance by the waitstaff. Appetizers arrived at different times, there was an error with an order, and a drink order was never filled. And the food was - profoundly average.

So - you might hit it lucky - and you might not - but count on paying top dollar.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Colorado
“Great food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I had dinner at Mackenzie’s recently, right before attending an event at the nearby Pikes Peak Center. The event started fairly early in the evening, so the time we had for dinner was limited. We mentioned to our server that we were tight on time, and she made sure we were served promptly and had plenty of time to get to the event after dinner. The food and service were both very good, and I can recommend Mackenzie’s highly. It’s not cheap, but if you want an excellent dinner in a classy atmosphere, this is a good bet.
The only down side of our visit to Mackenzie's was the fact that we, and several other guests, had to wait outside in the cold before opening. They have a nice, heated lobby area that they could have opened a few minutes early to spare the guests a wait in the cold (the temperature was in the 30s).

• Visited December 2012
Colorado Springs
“Great steaks, relaxing atmosphere, nice wine list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I enjoyed the cozy "underground" atmosphere of this steak house. The steaks were certainly top-notch (my fillet was fantastic!) and they have a nice wine list, plus a good selection of after-dinner drinks. The kids waiting the tables seemed a bit overwhelmed at times. Note to management - you might need to staff-up during the busy holiday season, as a lot of us are getting our first impression of your restaurant during employer-hosted dinners at your establishment!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florissant, Colorado
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Four of us went for Thanksgiving. We had reservations for 12:30pm and were seated promptly. This is quite an elegant place, very quiet and reserved setting. There were children present; but they were hardly noticeable. Our server was knowledgeable and helpful. They have a very good wine list and she had a good handle on what was available. Our table was kept clear of dishes no longer needed and the next course served promptly. We all chose some variation of the traditional meal and it was quite good and in ample portions. All in all, a very pleasant experience. We'll be back.

• Visited November 2012