“Not to be missed, despite the condition and peculiarities” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Museums, Science Museums, Natural History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The two museums in this complex house one of the world's most outstanding collection of invertebrates and a history of America's space program.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Not to be missed, despite the condition and peculiarities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Came back from my 2nd trip to the May Bug Museum yesterday, was as enthralled as the first time. So much to see in one medium-sized room. My only complaint would be about the lighting, some displays such as the jeweled beetles really needed proper light to show them off.

Otherwise, awesome collection. Yeah, the place is a little peculiar. If you like that, you must go. Even if you don't the variety of bugs is simply amazing. Everyone in the family LOVED it. My eight- and sixteen-year-olds, even my wife. Spent almost 3 hours oooh-ing and ahhh-ing over the cool bugs.

As a "bonus" to some, the live Black Widow exhibit I saw the first time is no longer there. That even unnerved me at first although I kinda liked it too. With the age and size of the exhibit I suspect some of the species of insects are now extinct. Just a guess, but I think I may be right.

Like another reviewer said, if you require a very polished big-budget exhibit with multi-media and lots of sizzle, this might not be for you. It's essentially a room with a bunch of wooden cases with an unbelievable variety of insects. Next time I go I might bring a big handheld magnifying glass. And only $6??? Can't say enough...

Visited July 2013

Dallas
4 attraction reviews
“Mrs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

First: this is a museum of insects, which includes some bugs. Yes, it is old, quirky, out of the way. Don't think of camping here! This is the largest insect collection outside the Smithsonian. Only a segment of the collection is displayed at any time. The insects receive loving good care, and are in amazingly good condition. The $6 admission is certainly reasonable.

My husband is an insect enthusiast. Every trip through Colorado, we plan an extra day in Colorado Springs so he can spend the entire day. The children and I have a short visit, then go elsewhere and pick him up when the museum closes.

If you enjoy exotic insects, enjoy the adventure. You'll be amazed at the variety, sizes, colors. Skip the space museum.

Visited June 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“A piece of unexpected Natural History in Colorado Springs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

You may not associate exotic insects with Colorado- But the May Bug Museum is quite the treat! I've read so many reviews complaining about the age of the place and the "kitschy" feel to it. get over it people! It makes me sad to read people complaining about the loss of their $6 admission. The museum is old and that is part of the charm! I think these reviewers failed to appreciate the fact that this collection has survived since the early 1900s?! The glittering beetles and vibrant butterflies are even more amazing when you realize many of them were collected in the early 1920s!
This is not a state of the art Natural History Museum. This is one family's lifetime of collecting insects from the most remote regions of the world. The old photos and newspaper clippings tell the story of Mr. May and his journeys. You will see an assortment of insects unlike any I've ever seen on display elsewhere. (only in the backrooms of NH museums) I hope this place never goes away, this collection deserves to be preserved for future generations to admire. I've been visiting this place for almost 20 years now and it amazes me as much now as it did when I was 5. If I thought they'd close the doors I'd buy the collection in a heart beat to keep it available to the public.

Visited June 2012
Colorado Springs
“Don't let it bug you!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Vast selection of all sorts of bugs. Granted it is dated. If you have to have chrome and neons and spoon fed information (as some reviewers seem to need) then this is not for you. If you have the ability to appreciate the collection for what it is--a man and his son's attempt to display a vast collection of bugs from around the globe--then the visit is well worth the reasonable entry fee. My wife and I took our granddaughters (5 & 8) and we all had a great time.

Visited July 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
10 attraction reviews
“Amazing bugs! Beautiful butterflies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

we planned a quick trip thru the museum and ended up spending hours there. After the initial feelings of "creepy-crawlies" we were truly amazed at the sizes and colors of the different insects that live in this world. I'm even more amazed at what lives here in the U.S. A unique experience and one that will be remembered by all.

Visited July 2011