“Good food, good value, avoid the crowds and awful chile relleno” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Good food, good value, avoid the crowds and awful chile relleno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Believe we've found one of the better Mexican restaurants in Colorado Springs but after only checking out about 15, we're still trying. This looks like a chain restaurant and feels like a chain restaurant but very good food and service nevertheless. Went on a Sunday night at 7 PM and only waited 5 minutes. We're told waits of upwards of 1 1/2 hours is the norm. (good place, but that is a crazy wait).

Poblano de pollo - excellent; Applewood chicken stuffed Anaheim - excellent; Original fish tacos -very good but the mango habanero salsa needs a warning sign, really. The waiter should warn you. We are from Arizona and that stuff will kill your taste buds; carnitas burrito -very good; pork green chili was "industrial" tasting, not fresh or original tasting. Chile Relleno was terrible. Looked like they took a chile pepper, put cheese in the middle, folded a flour tortilla around it and deep fried it like a Chimichanga. That is NOT a chile relleno. That entree needs a big change. The food came exceptionally fast to have too much of our meal made fresh, but the variety of sauces did help. Wait staff was exceptionally good. Four adults, four regular meals and four small beers for $90 incl tip. That seems like a good value.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Power outage and unimpressive "Mountain Mex"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was going to give this place 2, but since we didn't have to pay for our food (keep reading), I'll say it's A-Ok.

Even at 7:40PM on a Wednesday night, traffic in and out of the front doors was a constant, and everyone wanted to be seated on either the rooftop patio or on the side patio next to the tiny amphitheater. Since this was my first visit, I was confused by the statements made by the hostess, and she was confused by my request, so I didn't get my name on the list in time before both areas filled up - so I had to wait an extra 30 minutes to get seated when I didn't have to.

Very nice décor, and the restaurant is large. TVs in the bar area. Too corporate and "chain-y" for my taste, but it wasn't my restaurant pick for the night.

Once seated, our server was very friendly and our orders were all correct.

The wrench in the night came when the power went out. Apparently my table's food had JUST completed cooking, because as the server delivered our dishes, she addressed the table next to us and apologized that the restaurant couldn't complete their order before they lost power, so no food for them! And then to all the customers in the area, she stated that everything was on the house because they couldn't run the computers. Man, I should've ordered a huge margarita!

We ate in the dark, which, luckily for them, I thought rather amusing. Sadly, the "mountain Mex" was disappointing. My fish taco was way too dry and tasted like fish sticks, and the chicken taco just didn't have the punch of flavor I had hoped for. The barbacoa taco was the only one that stood out to me, and the meat was delicious in its shredded, juicy goodness. I generally love corn tortillas, but these were thick and mealy. The accent sauce WAS good, and I was pleased to be able to pour it on my tacos, and the portions of my dish were the right size. I also liked the black beans that came with my tacos.

At the end, we didn't have much cash, so we felt bad we couldn't at least give a decent tip. I guess that means I will have to go back one of these days and slip her some extra bills so she can divvy it out - but I won't be ordering food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“ENJOYABLE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had dinner here last night with friends. It was very busy, but we didn't have to wait too long for our table. Our experience was mostly good. The salsa they serve with their chips was delicious! Loved the lime chicken tacos especially! Wow - so tasty! All of us really enjoyed our meals. Our server was friendly and attentive. Now the not so good parts.... We ordered some guacamole to share before dinner and it was waaayyyy tooo hot! It had a small bowl of salsa with it that I tried and discovered immediately was made with habanero! It took abour 10-15 mins. to get the heat to mellow out in my mouth after that. Don't care for that at all! One of my tacos (I did a sampler of three different ones) had slices of fresh jalapeno in them that took my breath away. I like spicy food but not food that burns my mouth! Overall though we liked the atmosphere, the view, the service, and almost all of their food. Prices were reasonable as well. we would recommend Hacienda Colorado!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampa, Florida
“great setting, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Food was interesting, but a little overpriced. The real let down was the failure of management to fulfill a really simple request.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Totally Bummed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had heard great things about this place. It is a beautiful new building, with nice decor. Too bad the food didn't follow along. First off, we had ordered the queso. It was really gross! Basically, it was their "cheese sauce" that you can order on any of your other entrees. It was grainy, runny, flavorless, and not creamy at all. I had the pork tacos, which were okay...the best part of the meal. The server raved about their sauces, but even the simple green sauce tasted like watered down chiles and tomatillos. The meal was not cheap and we will never return. Such a shame!

• Visited May 2013