“Best Italian in town” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Bella Vita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 1,194 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Garden of the Gods/I 25
“Best Italian in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

La Bella vita has wonderful Italian food in Colorado Springs. The daily specials are always a good pick. Yes, prices are a little higher, but so is the quality. It's worth it!! Vodka sauce is excellent. Skip the pre-fabricated chain food and enjoy a great meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Colorado
“Great Tasting Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by how good the food was on our visit. We all shared different dishes and each was rich and flavorful. This is a great, family-run restaurant. It is a little hard to find, not much of a sign in front, but don’t let that scare you off. It is a nice place for a special date, a small group of friends or a business dinner. We will definitely be back.

• Visited October 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Overall favorable, has room to improve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I waited until my second visit to rate LBV. Averaging both of my experiences I'd give this place 3.5 stars, but I decided to rate only this most recent visit.

We parked in the front the first time, but on our second we parked around the building on the east side. There is an entrance back here, so there was no need to walk around the parking lot.

Our server was the same both times. He was very knowledgeable, personable, and pronounced the menu items correctly. We did not receive as much attentiveness from him as much as the first visit, but that was ok - it had been a bit overkill back then.

The room is very dated. It was evident the owner had tried to re-work this space that had formerly hosted many other restaurants, but if he wants to impart a vibe that is not as "tired" as it currently feels, it will require more investment. What probably would help is to get rid of the old wine bottles lining the windows and give everything a good dusting. Maybe even drop their neighbor Caspian Cafe to see how an old Denny's was converted into something dark and romantic.

Food was decent overall, but I liked it better last time. The Burrata appetizer was excellent. We could have eaten that all night! However the entrees did not live up to the appetizer: the saffron overpowered my risotto, and the rice still had a slight crunch to the texture. I also ordered a side of meatballs to accompany the risotto, and though they weren't bad, I've had better. It was as if they had added a pinch more filler to the meat than necessary, so the texture was a bit on the heavy side. On a good note, LBV's tiramisu is still one of our favorites out of all the Italian eateries we've been to.

I guess overall I'm disappointed in the consistency. I'd love to see them succeed, and I hope they do, but there are some tweaks that can be made to make it great.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great first impression - Looking forward to returning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My significant other and I visited La Bella Vita last night and had a truly wonderful experience. We like Italian, but I was tired of the chains and wanted to try something different. I saw that this restaurant had won an award for Best Real Italian in the Gazette's Best of the Springs 2013 and so we decided to try it. So glad we did! We were warmly greeted by one of the owners at the door. He visited our table and described their menu, asked us what we were in the mood for, and suggested dishes that we might like. The fresh-baked house bread was wonderful! I loved my chicken piccata. It came with a side of polenta that was out of this world, and wonderful vegetables. My SO's Lasagna Bolognese was delicious. The sauce tasted homemade and I've never seen a lasagna with so many pasta layers. The best part was that although we both ate every bite on our plates, neither of us felt stuffed or like we'd overeaten. Service was excellent and attentive. I thought the prices were reasonable. Just slightly higher than a chain but come on, one popular Italian chain has declined so much that it is obvious that their meals are prepackaged, frozen, and reheated. I am happy to pay a few dollars more for fresh made, authentic Italian from a place that cares about their customers' experience.

US
“Expensive, but.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Food was great. I had lunch, pasta with cream sauce, prosciutto, and shrimp. (How much can you eat for lunch, after all?) My friend (we are both genuine Italian kids from the east coast) had the full lunch special. We licked the plates clean.

The wine list is extensive, from six-dollar glasses to bottles in the hundreds (but no Italian wine is worth hundreds. Stick with the low-priced reds.)

The owner chatted with us extensively. Trust me, he is the real deal.

This place is expensive for Colorado Springs, but cheap compared to NYC, San Fran, or, God help me, Roma. The quality is up to any of them. Best Italian food in CS except for my own kitchen.

Parking is screwy, but come on. You can't walk 100 feet?

I'm taking my wife to La Bella Vita for our anniversary. Another review after that.

• Visited August 2013