“Too bad about the lamb shanks” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rabbit Hole Dinner & Drinks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,195 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Westcliffe, Colorado
“Too bad about the lamb shanks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

First visit and most of the food was really good. I was excited about having lamb shanks, but they were a disappointment compared to everything else. Fairly dry, tough and flavorless. The description said they were braised...seemed more like boiled. The goat mashers were great as was the mushroom risotto. The stuffed prawns were pretty good. Try the Bunny Bites! The service was good and timely.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Whitefish, Montana
“Fun and creative, unique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a family dinner here during the afa weekend and the restaurant was a great choice. Fun menu based on Alice and wonderland with unique choices and the food was great. Friendly staff and good service - great meal.

Visited August 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I decided to eat here last Friday night on a whim. We called around 5:15 and asked if we could get a table for two around 6:00. The friendly girl on the phone said that would be no problem and we would have a table waiting on us. Sure neough we roll in there around 6:05 and they seat us right away.

My first impression of the place was that it was very "fancy" without making you feel like you had to dress "fancy". It is a really nice atmosphere, similar to a ratskellar excperience you may have in Europe. They had an awesome drink menu, and lots of craft beer in a bottle. The only suggestion I would make is to get more of those great craft beers on tap!

The waitress was very prompt getting our drink and appetizer order as well as explaining the very unique menu items to us. We ordered the game sausage sampler for an appetizer, and let me tell you it was some of the best sausage I have ever had. Being from South Texas I have eaten my fair share of good sausage and this stuff was right on par. I ordered an old fashioned, and my wife ordered a mojito. The drinks had great flavor, and while pretty "stiff" the alcohol was not over powering.

For the entree we ordered the meat sampler for two, (I forgot the name on the menu) but it has a sample of meats to include rabbit meatloaf, lamb shank, duck, chicken, sausage and another meat I forget. It was all very good though. For dessert I ordered the carrot cake and my wife ordered their own version of a moon-pie that was awesome, but super rich.

Overall it was a great experience, I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to get away from the kids for a date night.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Fun and Unique - from the Decor to the Menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

After hearing about the Rabbit Hole from some co-workers, my friend and I decided to give it a try last weekend. This was the first visit for both of us. I was a little skeptical after reading some of the reviews (people either tend to love it or not) but we decided to find out for ourselves. If you aren't looking for it, you probably wouldn't really notice the entrance on the sidewalk that leads you down under the streets (which is actually on Kiowa, just across from a parking garage, not Tejon) but it was quite a neat way to enter the restaurant while setting the tone for the theme. The interior could be described as unique and trendy and so can the menu. There was quite a selection of drinks, main dishes and appetizers that should satisfy any palate willing to explore a little - with enough selections for those who wish to remain a little more mainstream. We decided to just order several appetizers and call that our meal - nothing on our plates disappointed. We ordered the ravioli, spicy mushrooms w/blue cheese, vegetable pate, the cheese plate and the cheesecake for dessert - all were very tasty. Price is about what you would expect for a trendy setting downtown and the service did not lack attention. The only downside (and I guess this can be debated since it technically is a bar/restaurant) is that the noise of some other patrons made it difficult sometimes to carry on a conversation without repeating or speaking loudly yourself - so take that as you will. That alone would definitely NOT stop us from returning again. Highly recommend the Rabbit Hole if you are looking for a fun and trendy night out in downtown Colorado Springs.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Colorado
“A very good experience with some small flaws.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had a nice dinner sitting at the bar on a Sunday night. The bartender, Gracie was warm and friendly, suggested a perfect beer, and was the model of professionalism and charm. The Cider Soup has a very nice flavor, but the Chorizo is very salty. I'm not sure if it's just the salt from the Chorizo that makes the broth so salty, but it's a little hard to finish. You don't really notice on the first bite, but after eating all the sausage and sipping the broth for awhile you can really feel it. The spice level was a nice balance for the cider, but I found the broth to be a little heavy on celery, which is good for flavor, but in my opinion should be strained out for service. For a starter I tried the pork belly tacos. This dish was a little hit-and-miss. The blue corn shells appeared to be pre-fab. I would gladly pay the same amount for two homemade tacos than for the three store bought shells. The slaw that filled most of the taco shell was very good but overwhelmed the pork belly, which for $10 I would have like to have tasted more. What I did taste of the belly was simultaneously too sweet and too salty. The dish has potential but in its current form it's a little underwhelming. I can't ever resist chicken and waffles so I gave it a shot. Be forewarned: It's mostly waffles, chocolate syrup, and maple ice cream, with the chicken kind of shoehorned in. For what they're trying to do, it works, surprisingly, but I'm still a fan of seperating the sweet and salty a little bit more. I think it would be fair to describe this dish as a dessert with chicken in it. I was celebrating so I had a piece of carrot cake. The flavor was very nice, and the ratio of cake to frosting was perfect, but it seemed to acheive a moist texture, the chef had elected to underbake the cake and it did taste of uncooked flour. I'm very interested to try some other menu items and find what they've already figured out. I feel like I ordered some dishes that still need work. As I mentioned above the service could not have been more friendly and professional, however the choice of music was very strange. In this underground, trendy, hip setting I would expect to hear some smooth beats, acid jazz, indie rock, or something cool, but instead they had settled on 50's doo-wap and crooners. Since they stay open late I'll be back to try some more food soon. There's a lot of potential and ambition in the kitchen, which can be a mixed bag, but definitely worth a visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere