Historic Home in Old Broadmoor

8 Bedrooms, 4 Bathrooms, Sleeps 16

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

COmedic
“Your own private hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

We have stayed at the Broadmoor Hotel many times in the past and decided to try something new with a vacation rental. We had a larger group so we enjoyed the huge savings on renting this home compared to getting multiple rooms at the Broadmoor. It is an older home beautifully decorated with the most interesting antiques and artwork I have ever seen, like a little museum with a European feel. We had everything we needed and everyone in our group enjoyed their stay! The owners were very helpful and accommodating. We will be back next year.

5 of 5 stars Service
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
WeVisitTh...
Buffalo, Minnesota
“Nice property - but neighbors are not happy this is a rental”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

I am conflicted as I write this review but would like others to have more knowledge about the property before they book, than I had.

First, I need to say that the owners are very nice people and were helpful and accommodating to our group. The property is located in the Broadmoor district, just a few minutes away from the grocery store, shopping facilities and main highways. It was very easy to get to and from the property as we explored Colorado Springs.
The house was very large and many of the furnishings were vintage and beautiful. Please be aware that this is an older house and does not have accessibility for disabled people/wheelchairs. You could access two of the bedrooms/bathroom located in what was once the garage/maids quarters, but you would not be able to access the kitchen/dining/living rooms or laundry area if you had a wheelchair. There are many stairs to climb and tight corners and furniture to get around. I would recommend choosing another property if you have difficulty with stairs or require ramps.
We did have a few incidents due to storms, which caused us excess time, energy and worry. We had the roof of the main floor bedroom break open and flood the bedroom and some of my in-laws things were soiled. The owners told us that the roof was schedule to be fixed soon and arrived quickly to put more plastic on the roof and clean up the water on the floor. My in-laws happened to be staying in that room and were inconvenienced by the mess - which I feel terrible about and my mother-in-law was stressed about the incident. The second incident happened during another flash flood whereby the basement started flooding with water leaking in under the built-in cabinets, resulting in the floor/rug becoming saturated with water. There is another bed in the basement, which my husband occupied, and some of his items became soiled. Recommendation: if you stay down in that room makes sure all your items are off the floor and not around the built in cabinetry. Overall, this was a very nice comfortable place to rent, located in a great area with lots of space to spread out.

The problem - there appear to be several neighbors who are not happy that this house is a rental property. The majority of the time we were inside the house due to the storms and flash flooding. During the day we were gone sight seeing. The one nice evening we had, we decided to use the grill to BBQ and sit outside and socialize. We only had immediate family staying at the property. Grandparents, our family, brother/sisters in law and a baby. My 4-month-old nephew was in a blow up pool and were all standing around taking pictures of him, watching him splash around. We were laughing and cooing at the baby. We were not screaming, did not have loud music going, we were not a rowdy crowd. We were just LIVING - a typical evening outside with family. Two of the neighbors complained about the excess noise and the owner leaves a frantic message on my voicemail?!? This didn't make any sense to us as we were just having a typical family moment watching the baby and talking to each other. This happened in the evening between 7-9 and we were inside the house by 9. Some of our party were displeased and moved to a nearby hotel - which saddened me. Unfortunately, this is the sole reason why I would not return to this property or recommend this rental property to others. Unless you plan to stay inside the house and never venture outside, never use the grill, never talk or laugh - this is considered unreasonable. At least not until they improve their relations with their neighbors. I wish the owners good luck as I mentioned before, they are very nice people.

5 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 3 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
3 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 3 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
4 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The property had plenty of space for the family to spread out
Liked least: You could not go outside for fear of upsetting the neighbors
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
Sep 3, 2014
We did enjoy having these clients as guests but are always unhappy to have our neighbors disturbed,in this case we received a phone call after 10:00pm and were contacted by both neighbors on either side of the home. Our written contract, which these guests signed, does state disturbances in the neighborhood will not be tolerated and can even lead to eviction and or loss of security deposit. Upon check in guests are also reminded that this is an upscale residential neighborhood and should be treated as such. All of our neighbors are aware that this is a vacation rental and we have even had some of them rent out our homes for their family and friends.

Unfortunately, Southern Colorado Springs had been hit by 2 severe storms production golf ball size hail and severe rain and wind. Most homes in the neighborhood had broken windows and roofs and gutters needing to be replaced. We were over at the home several times during their stay and were never informed of any damages to personal belongings or any guests choosing to leave. We do our very best to handle any problems with the home as soon as we are notified. If we had been notified of any damages to personal belongings or guests leaving before this review we could have a chance to rectify the situation.

Our home was built in the 1920's and homes were built differently back then. We try our best to correctly describe the layout of the home when speaking to guests concerning wheelchair or mobility issues. We are very sorry if there was some sort of miscommunication concerning furnishings or layout but that was certainly not our intension.

We want our guests to enjoy the home, inside and out, and their stay in Colorado Springs. Unfortunately, sometimes the weather does not cooperate. We try to make every client as happy and comfortable as possible but do ask for them to be respectful of our home and neighbors. We only wish these concerns had been brought to our attention so we could have at least tried to resolve them.
SheD
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 for a stay in November 2012
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
Older travelers
A FlipKey verified reviewer
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 for a stay in August 2012
5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 5 of 5 stars Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
Guests
from
$289
/ Night
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Owner
Diane E
17192876105
Speaks English
Listed since : Feb 2012
Response Rate: 100 %
Response Time: Within a few hours
Calendar Updated: 112 days ago
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing