“Way better than I expected!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Tourist/ Visitor Centers, Cultural
De Soto, Missouri
23 attraction reviews
“Way better than I expected!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Considering this is free, I wasn't expecting much. But my daughter loves Adventures in Odyssey so I really felt we should drop in while in the area visiting Pikes Peak. I was so surprised! It is much bigger than I expected and the children's area is so detailed! Every room was unique from floor to ceiling. There was a cave with a VeggieTales movie playing on a big screen TV, a large airplane to play in, a giant jungle gym, a stage with dress up clothes, a puppet theater, a Narnia room, and a toddler area. We utilized everything except the broadcast studio because it was closed. There are 3 scavenger hunts plus the 3 story slide for kids over 43" tall. At the soda shop we bought lunch which was very reasonable: $13 for a large pizza (10 slices), and it was delicious! The staff was so friendly, too. We had a blast!

Visited October 2013

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 attraction reviews
“Nice change of pace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our family enjoyed the welcome center. We spent less than an hour and pretty much saw everything. It was worth going to.

Visited October 2013
Indianna,USA
23 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

One of the highlights of our vacation was stopping off in Colorado Springs and touring Focus on the Family. My husband and I grew up listening to Dr. Dobson and our kids LOVE Odyssey. The tour is FREE and it is worth going on. DON'T JUST GO TO WHIT'S INN AND NOT TOUR THE ADMINISTRATION BULDING! Of course we loved the whole kid's floor and we signed up when we first got there for our children to record their own "Odyssey" broadcast. I'll forever cherish my CD copy! My kids are 10-17 and they had a blast doing it. Mom even went down THE SLIDE and it is fast and 3 stories! Of course we went to the Soda Shop and got the famous Wauckchunkwac...whatever soda smile. Of course the food is not free in the soda shop and they have a nice variety for lunch. We signed up to tour the Administration building and actually set in on Jim Daley doing an interview with a guest. Very COOL! It was great for my kids to see people they recognized from podcasts and talk shows. Definitely go to the Book Store and stock up on bargains! Plus they are really helpful with ideas for other things to do besides Pike's Peak. We went to "Garden of The Gods" and "Helen Hunt Falls". Would recommend both of these! You can spend a day in Colorado Springs easy.

Visited August 2013
Los Angeles, California
10 attraction reviews
“Christian Mecca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Pardon the pagan allusion in the title, but Focus on the Family is known well in the Christian world, and a visit to this institution is well worth the stop. I took the tour, visited the nice book store, had lunch in the cafeteria, and sat in on a recorded worship service. I just had to go, being in the area and all, and I was happily rewarded for doing so. I'd recommend it to anyone who listens to the radio broadcasts, and especially those who pray for this ministry on a regular basis. Our community is richer for this place, so support it and go visit if you can.

Visited November 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
43 attraction reviews
“Great Place for kids to play and even have lunch - all free!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Some people may assume that this attraction is overly religious or that visiting automatically puts you on some list to receive information. This is not true at all.

Upon entering the FREE welcome center, I was asked to sign in. I put my name and number of visitors in our group into the computer and we were off. You CAN sign up for email updates, but it is not necessary.

The upstairs area has information for adults, a theater, and an art gallery that leads to the gift shop.

Downstairs is all kids area as well as a good sized cafe that includes patio seating. Most exhibits are based on Odyssey, a successful kids program. Even if kids aren't familiar with the program, they can really enjoy themselves and get out a lot of energy with all the interactive stuff.

Older kids can go down the three story slide, play in a small airplane, make up stories with puppets or on stage, visit Narnia, and many other options that are very well done and kept clean.

My kids were 9 months old the first time we went, so we went straight to the toddler room (for ages 0-4). They loved it! It has a rubberized floor, games attached to the wall, and lots of play area toys for climbing on. there is a small stroller parking area across the hall. This area is in a separate room, so the kids can have free reign and you don't need to worry about them separating from you.

Visited August 2013