“Very nice stay overall, but the bed was torture!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2x Points - 2x Rewards
Ranked #11 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Easton, Maryland
“Very nice stay overall, but the bed was torture!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

My wife and I were in town visiting a relative at the Air Force Academy when we stayed at the Homewood Suites. The location was excellent. Very central to the academy, restaurants, shopping, and outdoor activities. Now, as I write this review it's been a few months since our stay, but I remember the staff and facility were great. No complaints there. We've stayed at other Homewood Suites and the room was exactly as we expected--clean, cozy, and well maintained. The breakfast buffet was not the best I've had, but certainly acceptable and no less than you'd expect for a hotel in this price range.

What remains crystal clear in my mind however, is the incredibly uncomfortable bed. Wow. This had to be the most uncomfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. I'm very easy going so I made the best of it and I didn't complain since everything else was fine with our stay and we were in good spirits overall. But man, that bed was awful! I woke up sore every morning. A previous reviewer mentioned that you can literally feel the coils digging into your side. That is no exaggeration!

In retrospect, I wish I'd said something to hotel management in hopes that they might address the issue for future guests. Perhaps its an isolated problem with the room we stayed in (sorry, I can't remember the room number), but unless the previous reviewer stayed in the exact same room I did, I doubt it's just one bed.

All in all, I can't knock the hotel too much because we had a nice stay, and the location, service, and condition of the hotel make it worthy of consideration. I would maybe stay there again, but I would definitely ask for extra blankets or padding for the bed if it became a problem. My stay was only 3 nights though, which helped make the situation somewhat tolerable. An extended stay might be ill-advised if comfortable sleep is something that you enjoy.

• Liked — Location, service, overall condition
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

Homewood Suites in Colorado Springs is a great place to stay. It is well located, good facilities, great breakfast AND dinner included in the price. A good mini-mart on site to by anything you need, spacious rooms, etc. etc. etc.
I always look forward to Homewood suites when I come to CS. And it has never disappointed. I highly recommend it.
My one gripe... why not give free wireless internet in the room, rather than the plug-in option?
With the comfortable sofa and recliner in the room, it's a bummer to have to sit at the table with my laptop plugged in to their network to check emails. I would think wireless would be LESS expensive for the hotel, and would be a great convenience to the guests!

• Liked — almost everything
  • Disliked — need to plug in for free internet.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

Our family stayed here for a week. It's a nice, clean hotel. It's in the Briargate suburb, which is very safe and new. My kids liked having the sitting area to play games and watch TV. The hotel is very well built, and has excellent insulation. I never heard any other guests while in our room, even though they were booked up. They have a hot breakfast. You don't get to choose, the chef cooks eggs and another item daily, and it's served buffet style. I think the Hilton Garden Inn (which is right in front of this hotel) actually offers a much nicer cooked-to-order breakfast. The lobby area is really nice in this hotel, and they have a free business center, which was very convenient. We would stay here again. They have a small outdoor pool, which was clean, and had lots of towels. There was no Jacuzzi.

• Liked — The clean rooms and location.
  • Disliked — I didn't really care for the taste of the buffet portion of the breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Renton, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

Wonderful, clean, quiet, spacious. Had a terrific breakfast --a light dinner also is served that was not bad either. We had booked a room at another "Suite" type of hotel on the South end of town that was right off the 25. It was loud, not just from traffic noise, but thin walls allowed the plumbing, etc to be heard, and the AC was loud. Breakfast was mediocre at best. The Homewood suites is right across from a small mall with eating options such as California Pizza Kitchen, Starbucks and several others. It's a few minutes away from many more restaurants, a Whole Foods, theaters, and another mall. Plus, this property was less expensive than the first one we stayed in! An infinitely better value.

• Liked — Quiet, location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything...
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

We stayed here for 5 nights while we were house hunting in the Northern/Northwestern Colorado Springs area. It is in a superb location, right across from the Shops at Briargate which is a nice upscale outdoor shopping mall with lots of little restaurants. My husband and father actually hung out there one day for about an hour playing lawn chess in the middle of a beautiful courtyard. Homewood Suites is also all of 3 minutes from the gates of the Air Force Academy. It sits up on a little bit of a hill, so we could actually see 3 different firework displays from the parking lot on July 4th.
The hotel itself is very nice. The staff was excellent and very friendly. Nicole and Stephanie stick out the most as being very helpful. The free breakfasts were great. Nothing amazing, it is just buffet and some cereal, but what do you expect for free right? There was never a clean up issue. There were always at least one or two people keeping the food stocked and cleaning up tables. They must have fixed that issue they were having the year before.
They also have a dinner hour reception with drinks and appetizers. We found that on a few nights this was sufficient enough to fill us up and we skipped dinner all together. They also serve beer and wine. Very nice and between breakfast and dinners it definitely saved some $$$.
We never used the pool area, so I can’t speak on that. We did see several families coming from the pool and they all seemed pretty happy.
The rooms are ok. I would describe them as small. However, with what space you do have it was definitely used efficiently. They are all one bedroom suites, but it kind of feels like they took a standard hotel room and put a wall in the middle of it to call it a one bedroom suite. We wanted a suite because we were traveling with our infant son and wanted him to sleep in a different room since he makes lots of little noises in his sleep and that keeps us up often. We actually had to move furniture around to come up with a space barely wide enough to put a little pack-n-play up for him to sleep in. I can’t imagine these rooms to be bigger than 400 sq. ft. That seems large, but when you put in to perspective that these are supposed to be one bedroom suites and contain a bedroom, bathroom, kitchenette, and living room … well your talking about some cramped quarters. This time we left our other two daughters at home to stay with my parents, so I can’t even imagine if we had all 3 of our kids with us – a total nightmare in such a small space. I say this because we travel often with the family and we always staying in one bedroom suites with the girls sleeping on a hideabed in the living room. Generally we stay at a La Quinta or Embassy Suites and their rooms have always been much larger. This is the first time we’ve stayed at a Homewood Suites, so it was a new experience for us. All that being said I wouldn’t necessarily say the rooms were bad, but just a little small. I would keep that in mind when traveling with a family. Homewood Suites is appealing because it has a little kitchenette, but if you can’t fit a family in there to use it then what’s the point? The biggest complaint – the beds. They were like rocks! You might as well be sleeping on the floor. Ten years ago when I was in the service they might not have bothered me so much since I was used to sleeping on 2 inches of foam rubber, but now I expect a mattress when I pay that much money a night for a room and I expect a hotel to not buy the cheapest one on the market where you can literally feel the coils coming through the mattress cover. Sleep is important and can effect your entire day, not just the night, so if you barely get more than a few hours a night due to discomfort for almost a week straight it kind of leaves a lasting impression on you about the hotel in general. The front desk helped as best as they could and provided me and my mother, who was in a room down the hall, extra blankets that we could sleep on top of to ease our discomfort. That did help a little, but in general it would affect our desire to stay here again.
The rooms were always cleaned well. We did however have a bit of an ant problem. There are a lot of ants in Colorado in general, so this didn’t surprise us. We couldn’t figure out where they were coming from, but we started finding them in our laundry because we had some spit up rags in there from our son. Soon one or two ants turn in to one hundred. Like I said, I have no idea where they came from other than the walls. There definitely weren’t any signs of entry through any windows, but they had certainly invaded.
To summarize, the rooms were clean, but small, the meals were free and pretty good, it was in a superb location, but the beds were rock hard. If you need a comfy bed I’d try the Radisson out by the airport, they have the sleep number beds out there and the rooms are also very nice, but no suites.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights using our Hilton points. It is excellent and is located acoss the highway from the USAF Academy. We could see the cadets practicing their flying skills from our room as well as Pikes Peak. Across the street is a lifestyle (expensive) shopping center. We passed by the Embassy Suites which is located right on the highway and it looks old whereas this hotel looks new. This web site indicates that this is ranked #1 place to stay in Colorado Springs. I would definitely agree.

• Liked — New, great location, clean and neat
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

Stayed here for a couple of days while on vacation in Colorado. The hotel is fairly new - the rooms and grounds are all nice and clean, and the area is great. Nice and safe, clean, and there are a couple of upscale developments all close by - with nice shops and restaurants. One of the reviewers mentioned how dirty it was - I do agree that the breakfast area was dirty and never seemed to be cleaned up - either at breakfast or the manager's reception - but part of the problem was the hotel was packed and some people are unusually sloppy and don't try to clean up after themselves. I would recommend to the hotel management to maybe add one more staff person to the morning and evening meal times to help restock and clean up. But the rest of the property was nice and clean, and we loved our room - very spacious as well.

The location is "good" because it is in such a nice area - although you do have to do a lot of driving to get to all of the Colorado Springs attractions. I-25 was under construction about 5 miles away so that added some to the delay. Not a big deal, just make sure to allocate extra time in getting to the CS places. The Air Force Academy is the closest and that was easy to get to/from. The US Olympic Center, Garden of the Gods, downtown, Broadmoor, etc., were all farther away and took some time to get to.

The front desk staff were helpful, especially the manager - she was able to give us good recommendations and directions to the local activities and places of interest. The breakfast/manager's reception staff, while very overworked, were still friendly and helpful.

I would definitely stay here again while in Colorado Springs.

• Liked — The area of town that it was in - very nice
  • Disliked — Common/breakfast area needed to be cleaned up more frequently
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in this part of town, just allocate extra time traveling everywhere else
  • Stayed July 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Colorado Springs North? Share your experiences!