“Look elsewhere.” 2 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #51 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
“Look elsewhere.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We needed a hotel close to Colorado Memorial Hospital. We were quoted over the phone a great rate of $75/night- a hospital discount. That was about all that was good.
The Bad:
The hotel is located right off 25 highway. In a not-so-good part of town. There were several homeless people hanging around behind the hotel.
The breakfast was just OK. Scrambled eggs, sausage, French toast. Sounds good- but it was not. Eggs were watery. I could barely choke down the sausage.
The rooms: we had 2 queens- slept horrible! The shower had hardly any water pressure. We could hear the people in the room above us walking around and we could hear their hair dryer!! UGH!
We were here just to get some rest while being at the hospital all day. (That did not happen)
If we were here in vacation, we would've checked out early and went north on 25 about 5 miles- lots of nicer hotels up there. (Near Air Force Academy)

I gave them 2 stars because of the hospital rate. Otherwise, it would be 1 star.

• Stayed July 2013
Jerome H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

719-329-7442

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

When I checked in, I was greated by a very nice young lady. Quick check in. I enjoyed the managers reception with the free drinks and snacks. The room was comfortable and clean. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review on our hotel. We hope to see you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed in June/July 2013. Seems like a lot of the hotel is being updated or renovated, and looks like good improvements. Most of the staff is friendly and accommodating, housekeeping were super friendly. The maintenance crew were also super friendly and helpful. Pool is nice, great for kids, also have a enclosed pavilion area for kids to run or to just hang out outside. Workout room is clean and machines are in good shape. Breakfast is wonderful, a lot of options to choose from! The bedrooms are good size. Parking isn't great, there is a lot of parking availability, but the surrounding area doesn't look the safest and if having to park in the back of the hotel, there should be security cameras or fencing. Walking distance to downtown restaurants and a small park.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review on our hotel. We pride ourselves on having a great breakfast for our guests. The entire team was happy to hear you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Hotel was very nice and clean. Staff friendly and helpful. They gave us a welcome gift bag ( 2waters&2 bags of chips), the garden area was very nice, room nice size, and breakfast was better than average. The only complaint was the bed sagged and could feel the springs, woke up this morning with my hips hurting from the mattress.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jerome H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review on our hotel. We are happy you had a great stay with us and hope to see you again soon!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This place seems newly renovated and well maintained. The rooms are of good size, nice and clean. The hotel certainly is old but has good solid structure and its recently renovated. Beds are nice, bedding is heavy duty, good pillows. Air condition is also very good. Shower had good force and water was hot right away and during any time. TV was a wide screen. I would have given five star rating if the TV had HD channels also. Hotel folks, I don't understand one thing; you spend so much money on a wide screen tv, why skimp on the content? Its like you have a top of the line cadillac but than you go out and buy the cheapest 82 octane gas! At least have the local channels in HD if nothing else...wifi was fine and had no connectivity issue.
Check in was very efficient, the desk clerk was knowledgable and gave us good tips on parking for Fourth of July fire works at memorial park.
Breakfast was really good. Generally in Clarion, breakfast is not free, but not the case here, it was included in the price. They had plenty of help and they kept it clean and replenished it constantly. The variety was also unusual, the kids were happy.
This place is big with so many rooms, so service could be impersonal, but I had no issues. they seem to get many groups, buses etc. You can hear the group, especially young adults having fun late night...but thats not hotel's fault. Next time, I would ask the desk clerk to give me room away from groups...Parking was ample. Will stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: They seem to have groups, buses etc...so ask for a room away from groups with young adults...they co...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review on our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Clarion on Bijou St. is one of the poorer hotel experiences I've had in my nearly 30 years of hotel experiences. The lobby looks nice, but the room was awful, the hotel dirty, the parking insecure, and the management worse. I would avoid this hotel in its current management. Sad to say it, but sleeping in your car might be a better choice.

During the craziness of the Black Forest wildfire evacuation of June 13, 2013, a friend booked a room at this Clarion on Bijou St. for me and my family after trying 10 other places, all fully booked due to the massive evacuations. About 3000 additional folks in our neighborhoods were simultaneously forced to evacuate due to smoke and threat of fire that would eventually consume 500+ of our friends' and neighbors' houses as the most destructive wildfire in Colorado history. My friend used my credit card to reserve a room while I scrambled to evacuate, packing whatever I wanted to keep in the case the wildfire reached our place. My friend mentioned the clerk was a bit of a jerk over the phone, but oh well. I25 was jam packed, black smoke rising signaling another home going up in flames - crazy days. Lets just get through it.

We got to the hotel, and upon entry, the front desk staff was plentiful but inattentive and unresponsive - nobody else checking in at the time, folks not actually visibly doing anything, just one of those places where multiple staff are standing around, and you stand there at the check-in desk for an awkward few moments before anyone decides to acknowledge you standing at the check-in desk or ask if they can help you. Whatever - I just need to get checked in and get updated on the wildfire situation.

Upon check-in, I made my way around back to room 232. There's a grassy area just out back where homeless and vagrants were hanging out. No visible security presence, no fence between the homeless area and the hotel parking lot, not even a chain-link fence - cars in easy reach. The room had a nasty, musty smell. But I tell myself, hey, it's like camping - we'll be fine for one night - it's an emergency - we can find something better tomorrow.

I start-up my laptop to check on things with work, the fires, etc. I'm quite familiar with hotel wireless setups from many years of business travel, and Clarion's wireless internet simply didn't work (and no direct port to plug an ethernet cable into, either). I called the front desk, and the clerk suggested I call their internet vendor support line. I call their internet vendor support number, no answer on multiple calls, 3pm in the afternoon. I call the front desk back, tell them their vendor isn't answering. Staff member courteously says she'll call me right back to troubleshoot. Hours pass. She never did call. No message. And no internet.

That evening, I try to get some rest. The sheets were worn and frayed. The pillows awful. Oh well. It's only one night. The mattress is hard, not as in I-like-a-firm-bed kinda hard, but as in I-feel-the-springs-about-to-bust-through hard - as in we're-really-gonna-get-our-money-out-of-these-mattresses hard. One of those that leave you feeling the owners are squeezing short-sighted profits rather than providing a pleasant stay. Room is cramped as well. At least the TV worked. Just thankful the fire hadn't reached my place yet, and the air is clean enough to breathe, if a bit stinky. It's good to be alive and have my family safe.

Next morning, I pack up and leave to go back and deal with evacuation issues, thinking I only had one night booked, and in my haste, I don't bother going to the front desk to check out. I leave and never return. Not a good hotel, but I'm done with it, and I don't ever have to go back.

My friend who booked the room had asked if it was available for 3 nights, and the clerk had said yes. My friend asked if getting it tonight obligated me to the following nights, and the clerk confirmed that, no, it did not, that I could take care of that after checking in. I thought I'd asked the front desk person about it being only for tonight at check-in, but my memory is unclear, and I absent-mindedly initialed and signed whatever they asked, totally preoccupied with the wildfire burning up our area up north. At least my kids were safe. Our miscommunication in the craziness of the wildfire. Whose fault? Not really sure. It was an absolutely crazy day.

A week later, I see Clarion has charged my card for nearly $400 - for our one night at $109 or some such. I call the manager, "Patty", to explain the situation and ask for consideration given the mix-up in communication and the stressful situation going on with 500+ houses burning down in our area of town, multiple evacations, etc. Patty is rude, simply talking over me as I'm trying to explain our situation, and explains there's really nothing she can (will) do. I ask to speak to her manager. She tells me the manager is busy, but she'll have the manager, Savannah Jarosz, call me to address my concerns by the end of the next day. Not surprisingly, Ms. Jarosz never calls.

The next day, I call back, ask to speak to the Hotel Manager, who is Jerome Hopkins. I explain to Jerome the confusion and miscommunication, explain to him we only used the room for one night, and ask him for consideration of all that and the fact that it's been incredibly crazy dealing with wildfire evacuation. Jerome sympathetically says he's really sorry, that we're all in his prayers, but from that point on, all Jerome wants to focus on is whether or not I signed and initialed the check-in sheet, and what the sheet said. I tell him I indeed did sign/initial something, I'm sure, but that doesn't change the fact that there was a miscommunication, that I only had the room for one night, that he can check with his housekeeping staff to verify, and I again tell Jerome I'm asking for some consideration here as a local business owner, a member of the community, in a very stressful and chaotic situation. Jerome eventually offers customer loyalty points and a free future night. I explain to Jerome I'm not looking for that, I'm asking reasonable consideration of returning my $250 back to me for the nights I wasn't even there. I point out the hotel certainly experienced a significant windfall of profits due to the wildfire evacuation, and that it might actually be good customer service not to hang on with a deathgrip to profits for services not rendered. Jerome is unmoved, but promises to look into whatever paperwork he has. I tell him I'm not making any allegation that his staff did something wrong in the paperwork; it was a miscommunication involving the front desk, myself, and the friend booking the room. It happens. Jerome is unmoved. It's Thursday, and Jerome promises to call me back by Monday end of business at the absolute latest with a definitive answer. I doubt it, sounds like a stall/delay tactic. But that's his word to me, he says.

Friday comes and goes. Monday comes and goes, and not surprisingly, still no call from Jerome. Just before 6pm, I decide to call Jerome. He gets on the phone, and begins to repeat the same questions from our Thursday conversation - did you sign the sheet, did you initial the sheet, etc. It's clear he's going to stick by whatever was signed & initialed without consideration of the extreme circumstances.

I ask him for the name and number of his superior. He says he doesn't really have one. I question this, and he finally says he guesses it'd be the owner, Ted Jarosz. I ask for Mr. Jarosz's number. Jerome says Mr. Jarosz is not in. I say that's fine, I'll call him tomorrow and ask for his number again. Jerome says that's not how it works, that I just need to call back tomorrow to the front desk. I say I'd like to call Mr. Jarosz directly. Jerome says that's not possible. I say I'm getting tired of Jerome's B.S., and Jerome tells me he doesn't have to listen to profanity, and simply hangs up on me.

I call the front desk the next business day to reach the owner, Mr. Jarosz. The front desk clerk forwards me to an unnamed automated voicemail. I call back, ask to speak to Jerome again to get the right number, and the line is busy. I call back again the next day, and the line is still busy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jerome H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your feedback concerning your stay. I shared your concerns with my staff. I also feel that it is important to point out that we attempted to resolve your concerns with two separate offers. One was for a 50% off discount on a future stay. You live here locally according to your comments so you could take advantage of this offer up to one year from the date you received that offer. We also offered you Choice Privileges points but both solutions were flatly rejected.

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed at the Clarion Hotel and conference Center in Colorado Springs in June 2013. The lobby has been recently renovated and is very attractive for a hotel in this category. There is a nice dining area and a good hot breakfast is provided and included.
On the other hand the rest of the hotel is a dump. Walls all over the place show signs of an aborted remodeling with white plaster in some areas and holes waiting for repairs and others. I did not see any signs of painting or any other attempt to cover up the mess. The rooms are even worse. A quick refresh was apparently done but the shortcoming in maintenance, are very obvious. It simply not acceptable to have a hotel which runs out of hot water morning and evening. The decor is kind of shabby with an obvious surface attempt to make it look better, but no attempt to fix underlying problems like the plumbing and the hardware. Some money was spent to put in new air-conditioning but a lot more work is needed before I would recommend that anyone stay at this place. Do not be fooled by the lobby!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ClarionManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your invaluable feedback which will be shared with our maintenance department and entire staff. We take great pride in ensuring that our property is well maintained and our service is exceptional. Feel free to call me at 719.329.7442 if you have additional suggestions or improvement. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Colorado Springs.

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!