“Disappointed...” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
new mexico
“Disappointed...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The majority of our food was good. However, the tabouli was old (two of us that ate it and got really sick), and the dolma was canned, not homemade as promised. The other food was good, nothing special. However, I was not impressed with the service. I had ordered specific things, and they did not arrive. When I addressed this to the owner, he argued with me about his cost, time, etc. It was disappointing to have someone tell you that they will deliver what you ordered and then not get it. And, when they do deliver the missing items, the quality is not up to par and actually should be thrown away due to it not being fresh.

I would not return nor recommend this place.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
HOJ_Cafe, Manager at Heart of Jerusalem Cafe, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Hello, Thanks For Your Point Of View, But We Strive To Keep Our Customers Happy. We Regret That You Had An unpleasing Experience. About The Time This Review Was Written The Old Manager Was Running Us Into The Ground. ) We Are Now Under The Original Management As Of Today ! So hopefully You Will Try Us Again. We Hopefully Look Forward To Seeing You Again.

Carl Beebe
Active Manager
Manitou Springs Location

Portland, Maine
“Simple surroundings with superb food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Order is fast food style with plastic plates etc. but the food is really excellent and we were even given tea and a tasty treat when we were finished. Service could have been better however it looked like there were only 2 people handling everything and it was getting busy when we left. Friendly place with great background music. This Grubinator will be going back.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manitou Springs, Colorado
“Not bad, but there is better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I've been to HoJ twice now. Once because I was invited and another time because I got a groupon. The first time I had the babaganooj dip with pita and falafel. It was very mild, bordering on bland but the portion size was great. The dip had giant raw cloves of garlic which I picked out and I guess that is where the flavor was. The pita is very good and the falafel is average. On my second visit I got the ultimate plate which comes with chopped up beef/lamb and chicken, hummus, a small scoop of cabbage style salad, a few falafel and pita. I also ordered the sweet tea and baklava for an after meal snack. The meats were flavorful with almost no distinction between the three, the hummus was bland and the falafel and pita proved to be the best items in the meal. The sweet hot tea was good as was the baklava with florescent pistachios sprinkled over the top. The staff (husband and wife) are outstanding! I met the husband at the Manitou Springs store (which is twice as good) and he is a delightful gentleman. You should try this place for yourself, judging on the previous reviews, and the line to order I am in the minority on my average rating.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Holy Cow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This place is always amazing. I always go to the other one...but they are both amazing. This one is a little smaller but that doesn't mean that the food is great. Everything here is fresh, tasty, and healthy. Just writing this review my mouth is starting to water. I brought my leftovers to my boss and now he says he loves middle eastern food. (This was his first time having it). They have great tea. I just think everything is amazing...and the owner is really nice.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kogarah, Australia
“Food for the feet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Small space with good taste. Good selection of dishes with the ability to cook to order.

• Visited December 2011