“Charming Bed and Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spurs and Lace Bed and Breakfast Inn

Save Saved
You added Spurs and Lace Bed and Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
Spurs and Lace Bed and Breakfast Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2829 West Pikes Peak Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80904   |
Medford, Oregon
“Charming Bed and Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Step back in history when you enter this charming Bed and Breakfast. Leo and Joyce have done a wonderful job in giving it that old west style to each room. The house was built around 1895 and still retains a lot of it's original architecture. Bathrooms have been updated, A/C units are in every room and several rooms have an outside balcony. We stayed upstairs in one of the suites.
Leo and Joyce (the hosts) were very friendly and eager to provide information about the city and the surrounding area. The beds were comfortable and it's very quiet in the evening. Breakfast consisted of a bowl of fresh fruit, followed by egg soufflé (served in a small bowl, and then a breakfast cupcake (also served in a small bowl).

Conveniently located 1/2 block from Colorado Ave. with its charming shops and restaurants, Garden of the Gods is minutes away and so is Manitou Springs.

This is a comfortable and charming place, not luxurious. We will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pinnacle, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This bed and breakfast was conveniently located for our trip. We were here to visit Pike's Peak and Colorado Springs. Our hosts were very knowledgeable and provided a nice breakfast. If you are leaving for an early day of sight seeing, you might need to factor in breakfast in a nearby restaurant as breakfast here is not served early. Our rooms were very nicely appointed. However, if you go during very hot weather, the small, older window air conditioner may not adequately cool the room. I raised the windows for cross ventilation as soon as we were shown to our room. Since we were there very early in June, the nights cooled off nicely. Be advised, there are no tv's and no telephones in these rooms.

Room Tip: If you have a mobility problem, you will want to state that you need one of the two rooms on the gro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I found Spurs and Lace while looking for a place to stay while in Colorado Springs. We had a wonderful time. After reading some other reviews, I realized that perhaps this B&B is not for everyone, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We only stayed for one night, so I can't comment on room service.

The building and rooms are beautiful, with simple but elegant accoutrements, like the Alphonse Mucha prints you will see as you ascend the stairs. We got one of the larger rooms (Victorian Rose Room), and while it's not huge, it was more than enough for our needs, and the bathroom had a big old tub for soaking. The building itself is what I would call a Victorian style, a square building more tall than wide, with three stories. The yard and gardens surrounding the house looked beautiful, with an inviting gazebo, although I never got a chance for a closer look. The views are beautiful, with some mountains in your face, and Old Colorado City right around the corner (another place we didn't get to check out).

The proprietors, Leo and Joyce, are very kind and open people. They are older than they look, so be patient with them, and I am sure you will see that they are wonderful, vibrant people. Part of the key to staying healthy is eating right, and this gets more important as you get older, so don't expect a huge breakfast with eggs, bacon, toast, waffles, etc. as one reviewer did. I believe the breakfast courses are described somewhere. We had a fruit salad, then egg souffle, then a baked fruit tart sort of dish. All tasted good, and it satisfied my hunger.

I see that some people had difficulty with breakfast. I think the issue is that, if they expect you for breakfast, they will make food for you, that is preferred not to go to waste. I am sure they can accommodate you if you can't make breakfast, just let them know. And if you want to sleep in, make sure you don't get the one room that is next to the dining area. It's a really cool room with awesome old photographs, but it doesn't work for sleeping in. I also saw mention of Leo telling a little story at breakfast. Yes he did that and his story had a great point, and was humorous as well.

I think Leo and Joyce try to make your stay a unique experience. This is a great place to relax and unwind, with so much to do nearby: Manitou Springs, Pikes Peak Cog Railway, Garden of the Gods, Woodland Park, Old Colorado City, and much more. I live in Colorado, so I am in the mountains all the time, and the views still astound me. So if you live where it's flat, come stay and have your mind blown! Bring your camera.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Spurs and Lace for his birthday, I had planned it out three months ahead of the date, and booked with hotel.com. When checking-in hotels.com never sent them our paperwork, so our room was already taken, but Leo and Joyce, went out of there way to get us a room, because we truly had our hearts set on this bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Darango on the second floor, and loved it!! The place is very clean and Leo and Joyce were very kind, sweet people. I would strongly advise staying here, and we plan to come back and stay for our 3rd year anniversary!! Thank you guys for making my husbands birthday so special!!!
-Mr. & Mrs. Hayes

Room Tip: Check out the Darango, it's right above the dining room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St Austell, Cornwall
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

we stayed for 3 nights in September, upon arrival we were met by Leo and Joyce and was shown to our room. We had booked the Mountain view room and were very pleased with what we found, spacious room, nice bathroom with a lovely balcony over looking Pikes Peak.
After a good nights sleep we went down to breakfast at the allotted time, 8am, we were very disappointed with our " 3 course breakfast ". Instead of cereal, bacon and eggs, toast etc, we were served a very small bowl of fruit, a small egg and onion souffle followed by a muffin.
After a day in Colorado Springs we returned to find our room in exactly the same condition as we left it. We had to make the bed and use the same towels for the duration of our stay.
The second mornings breakfast was the same so we decided to forgo our breakfast on the third day.
We would not stay there again as the breakfast was very poor and we had to tidy our own room, not what we expect when we are on holiday.

Room Tip: choose an upstairs room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

If you plan on staying one night you may not be disappointed. We stayed 4 nights and our room was never serviced. No fresh towels, or bed linens (bed wasn't even made) poor quality old sheets and stained pillows under the pillow case, trash would have been over flowing if I had not emptied it myself... remember we stayed 4 nights! Ran out of toilet paper, had to hunt some down ourselves. No TV, does have WiFi. Couple strange things happened, First morning we left early for other plans and did not eat the 8am breakfast. Second morning we did eat the breakfast and were subjected to political/religious conversation and a story time. I went back to bed after breakfast and was awakened by a knock at the door, got up to answer it and the owner (Leo) was running up the stairs??? (They live on the third level) We did not eat breakfast on the third or fourth morning (once was enough). However on the fourth morning the alarm clock on the bedside table went off at 7am? I did not set this clock and it was not digital, was an old fashion dial clock. Clearly a reminder we needed to get up for his breakfast? Beware of making reservations here, your card will be charged immediately and the charge is 100% nonrefundable! I made my reservations three months in advance through hotels.com and it stated we would not be charged until check in, charge was immediate and I was stuck with this reservation or out my money. Do yourself a favor and stay some place else!

Room Tip: Rooms on second level have air cond. first level does not. Avoid the room right outside the dining r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Aurora, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was an ADORABLE bed and breakfast!!!! It was cozy , cute , and clean!!! The innkeepers Joyce and Leo were so welcoming to us . We stayed for 2 nights. Very good price!! The breakfast was delicious !!! Definately would recommend it!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Spurs and Lace Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!