“Children are Not Welcome” 3 of 5 stars

Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3320 Mesa Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80904   |
Ranked #4 of 106 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Waco, Texas
“Children are Not Welcome”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I am sorry to have to write this review but this needs to be brought up. I am in Colorado Springs staying at The Garden of the Gods Club with my 10 year Old daughter and my husband.

I need to mention that this would be a great place if coming for a golfing getaway or a romantic escape. But DON'T BRING THE KIDS.

We booked the facilities based on the write ups on Tripadvisor. The pictures of the infinity pool were beautiful and my daughter was excited about going swimming in such a pool. NOWHERE in the write ups or their advertising to they mention the facilities have limited use for children.

When we arrived, we were told about the facilities and told where everything was located. We showed up at the beautiful infinity pool only to be told that kids were not allowed to swim on the premises. The staff sent us to a "rec" center more than a mile away. They offered no towels or amenities.
We decided we did not want to stay there. We came back to the spa hoping to take a steam and Jacuzzi. We were told we could. So the entire stay we have been in the Jacuzzi and steam room, with no complaints or comments from the staff. Today we went in and I was questioned on weather or not I was a guest. I said "yes". Then the girl behind the counter looked at me and said "well children aren't allowed in the spa. I know you have had treatments, but your daughter is still not allowed unless you are having a treatment the same day. So, she knew who we were but asked anyway.
Well, first of all, we pay a daily resort fee. As a guest, we also pay an extra 20% on EVERYTHING we do while we are here. We were told we could go in as long as I was with my daughter. Secondly, we had just spent money on treatment the day before....for both of us.
I mentioned that and the rude girl said in front of my daughter that we could go in but if anyone complained about my daughter, we would have to leave. My daughter was standing right there. She was totally humiliated by this person. She ran out of the spa crying and I was following her.
I immediately went to management. They could not seem to find anyone to help me. The counter manager at the club is new and very nice, but does not know what to do.
We have been so restricted here it has ruined our trip. The rudeness of the girl behind the counter topped it off. She spoke about my daughter in front of her like she was vermin or something. It's been that way all along. My daughter came back to the room and cried. She said she was sorry for ruining our trip.
I can't stress enough, please do not bring children here....you will regret it.

Room Tip: A patio room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Communications at Garden of the Gods Club and Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear "cinnamongirl2," thank you for your feedback. It's frustrating when your experience differs from what you expected. In the past, families visiting us during the summertime have been so delighted with our nearby Rec Center--which features a larger pool, separate toddler pool, spray garden, playground, game room, etc.--that we have not experienced a reaction like yours before. While much of our literature, including our key packet inserts and guest room directories, does indeed refer to the spa pool as an "adult pool"--and describes the nearby Rec Center pool as our "family pool"--our team is reevaluating our collateral, guest correspondence, and website to ensure that we are communicating this distinction as clearly and consistently as possible. I truly apologize for the confusion! Also, your experience with our spa concierge sounds awful, and I want you to know that our spa director Amanda, with whom you have already spoken at length, has addressed the situation with her staff.

For the benefit of other potential guests, I do want to clarify that we are indeed a family-friendly property. Our Rec Center is an amazing place for families to create memories together, and we have children's menus in all of our dining outlets. Our front desk will arrange complimentary transportation to the nearby Rec Center by guest request. We also offer junior golf and tennis programs, summer youth camps, and events designed specifically for families with children to enjoy (e.g. dive-in and drive-in movies, teddy bear teas, parents' nights out, etc.).

Again, we are so sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations, and we appreciate that you took the time to provide us with feedback. We wish you all the best, wherever your future travels may take you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
wichita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We have stayed here twice in the last month, and many times in the past in both the south and north buildings. We stayed in a north junior suite the weekend of May 18 for our daughter's college graduation and then in a north king bed room last weekend. We always have a good experience here. Also, having the parking right in front of the rooms is very convenient. Love to eat breakfast outside overlooking the Garden of the Gods. The south rooms are roomier but older and less updated; however, may be better for families with small children because of the extra room. I hadn't noticed this before, but it seems to me that the king bed room in the north lodge had the same amount of space as the junior suite; it was just configured differently, with the junior suite having the extra space around a corner from the area with the bed, and an additional TV. I actually prefer the layout of the regular room. Both have the same size patio facing the Garden of the Gods. Even though we are members, I got a better room rate through the hotel's website because I booked a few days before arriving and found a last-minute rate. So be sure and check this when making your reservations. Also, be advised that happy hour in the bar on Thursday and Friday is VERY busy and noisy, so if you're looking for a quiet place to wind down, that isn't it. This hotel is a much more intimate experience than the Broadmoor, and the natural quality of the surroundings is really lovely.

Room Tip: If you have children and you don't mind feeling as if you're in a slightly less modern and l...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
ggccomm, Director of Communications at Garden of the Gods Club and Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your detailed and insightful review, for your membership in the club, and for your decisions to stay with us again and again. Since you are a member, we want to make sure that you get the best rate possible--beyond anything we offer on our website--so when making future reservations, we encourage you to call our front desk (800.923.8838) or sales director (719.520.4967) to discuss. Once again, we appreciate you, and we hope to welcome you back to the club many more times over the next few years!
Greenwood Village, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

no DVD or microwave in room. Staff not friendly. Wine prices 3 times retail. Rooms and bed nice. Forced 20% tip even if bad service and a resort fee even if you used no facilities plus room tax. Food arrived from room service cool not hot or even warm

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
James, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our Lodge. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your guest room accommodations and found the bed to be comfortable.

We apologize for any confusion you may have had about what types of guest room amenities to expect. As we share in our guest room descrptions, our guest rooms feature coffee makers, mini refrigerators, flat-panel tvs, clock radios with iPod docking, and plush robes, but they do not feature microwaves or DVD players.

With regard to wine pricing, we regularly evaluate our pricing to ensure that it remains competitive, and we adjust pricing as needed.

We apply a 20 percent service charge to dining purchases serves as a tip/gratuity to be divided among waitstaff. This practice is customary among fine dining establishments and luxury hotels. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your dining service or room service. I will share your comment about the food arriving cold with our dining team for training and follow-up purposes. If you would like to share any other details about your dining experience with me, please send them via email to info@ggclub.com.

Access to club amenities is included in the room rate. The daily resort fee provides for high-speed wireless Internet access, in-room bottled water, daily newspaper delivery, and valet parking when available.

Again, thank you for your review, and we wish you the best in your future travels.
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We loved this lodge and so did our relatives who booked a room there along with us. The view was spectacular, absolutely the best we have ever had and the room was amazingly spacious. The bathroom actually had two sinks each on separate walls with plenty of drawer space and the closet was huge and there was a separate area with a refrigerator. There was a wonderful fireplace, sitting area with a sofa and the beds and lighting were very comfortable. The breakfasts were amazing with an incredible view of the Garden of the Gods and there is an outdoor patio for dining as well. Our relatives were so pleased we booked this place and so were we! We do hope to return there sometime. It was absolutely one of the best places we have ever stayed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ggccomm, Director of Communications at Garden of the Gods Club and Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Wow; thanks for your kind words! We're delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon! Thanks again.
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

My mother, her close friend from high school and I arrived on the Friday before Mother's Day. The 4 days we spent there was part of my holiday gift to her this year.

We chose this hotel because of the location. I love a good view from a luxurious hotel room and am willing to pay for it. The rate my travel agent was pretty good for 2 rooms/2 bed so I didn't think we were getting the best room in the house - but not the worst either.

For starters, we arrived and they couldn't find our reservation. Somehow it ended up in my Mother's name despite the papers I had from my agent clearly showing me as the primary on the reservation. The desk clerk explained that the travel agent must have booked it on-line. (well, my agent said she booked it as usual through the industry res system).. OK, so keys were issued and off we went. Both rooms were supposed to have 2 bed, but my mothers friend's room was quite nice and with a king-size bed. No problem. The room for my mother and e was supposed to be adjoining but it wasn't. And when it entered, the room also had 1 king bed. I love my mother and all but we've found sleeping together is not workable. So I went down to the desk again. I was told there were no more rooms because a large wedding party was coming in tomorrow.

He did mention that we had been upgraded to nicer and bigger rooms with fireplaces. And thank goodness that they did. The desk clerk (who did not apologize or even smile once the whole time I was at the there) did some juggling and located a "south patio" room with 2 beds. Unfortunately, it was way over on the other side of the resort. We would have to drive to spend time with our friend. We went over to see the room anyway and found a smelly, very dated room with no less than 10 months flying around and many other of the poor things dead below the curtains. I was told they have moth issues. I have heard of the moth migration in the area but strangely there was no moth issues in the other upgraded rooms. We went back to our friend's room, I called my travel agent and asked what she thought she could do or could she recommend another hotel. She promptly called and spoke with and "assistant manager" I believe. He also explained the moth problem and wedding issue. But suggested that we take the nicer King room and they would bring in a roll away. Because the rooms are quite big and quite nice, we agreed. It was a good decision.

Mother's Day and the "wedding" continued to be an problem. It seems that the "members" who live in the area ( the hotel generally serves as a country club for them and others who are serious about purchasing property at the resort) have a bit more clout than general guests. Our server at breakfast was very nice and warned us that we would need to come in for breakfast before 9:00 when Mother's Day Buffet crowds started arriving on Sunday. OK, we can make it even though it's my vacation and I don't like to hurry much in the morning.

Sunday night was all about the wedding and the dining room was closed to other guests (the bride was a member of the staff). I was told my 6:30p reservation and table would be set up in the lounge with that menu. Limiting but acceptable. We arrived promptly at 6:30p. No tables were set up as the dining room manager said she would do. I asked "Montana" who was wonderful and had waited on us Friday night in the lounge. She said let's hurry and get you a window table set up because the wedding party and guests were starting to arrive. And yes, they did. They took over everywhere. It was fun to watch but if we had not arrived when we did, we would have been shut out completely from the dining room, lounge, front room lounging area and the outdoor patio.

Montana took good care of us though and I tipped her well. (Also, be aware that this hotel adds the "gratuity service charge" to every tab automatically - you can add more as well!).

There were a few more small problems (breakfast coupons, additional breakfast billing, etc) but would be too lengthy to include here. Overall here's my recommendation: Consider this hotel if
1) you absolutely request one of the newer rooms with King beds and fireplaces.
2) ask if any other events are scheduled other than the usual "members only" receptions in the front room lounging area that you are NOT welcome to attend.
3) Check your bill at the end to make sure it's correct. Ours was finalized before I reviewed it even though I requested just a copy of the current billing before I checked out.
4) The views and walking trails around Garden of the Gods are the most important thing and service is 2nd.

I had hoped to bring my husband back in the fall for our anniversary. I'll check alternatives in the area and in Utah and Arizona. Then I'll make a decision.

Room Tip: 2nd floor in the 200's of the newer rooms. No South patio rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for your feedback. We apologize for any confusion with your reservation and are sorry that your overall stay didn't meet your expectations. I'd like to offer a bit of clarification on a couple of your remarks, for the benefit of other potential visitors and in case you do choose to return to our property this fall with your husband.

1. A guest who is reserving a club room is given the choice of either one king bed or two queen beds, based upon availability at the time of reservation. Each of our south patio rooms, on the other hand, is equipped with either one king bed or two double beds. As these rooms have not yet been enhanced to the same degree as the club rooms, they are priced lower. (Also note that ALL guest rooms--both club rooms and south patio rooms--face west and feature incredible views of Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak.)
2. Miller moths have indeed been an issue in Colorado Springs this spring, which we hear is due to the unusually dry and mild winter we experienced. During the evenings, it is quite common to see swarms of them flying around outside. Our housekeeping staff is focused on keeping guest rooms as moth-free as possible. Unfortunately, moths can get inside when guests open doors and windows, particularly if lights are turned on in the room.
3. On Thursdays and Fridays, we do host Happy Hour, featuring drink specials and complimentary hors d'oeuvres, from 4-6:30 pm in our Lounge. Both Members and Lodge guests are welcome to attend.

Again, we're sorry about what you experienced, and we thank you for sharing your feedback, as we are focused on continuous improvement. We wish you all the best in your future travels, wherever they may take you.
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

The junior suite was a spacious, very comfortable room. Great views and great breakfasts. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for visiting The Lodge at Garden of the Gods Club and for recommending us to other travelers. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay in one of our junior suites, and we look forward to serving you again soon!
Keystone, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

First of all - the location can't be beat! The view from our room was breathtaking and the room was wonderful. It had fantastic linens, fireplace, huge bathroom, and all the amenities to make it a wonderful place to stay. It's too bad the front desk didn't have a clue what was going on. We had pre-booked breakfast and cookies and milk for a nighttime snack. When we checked in the clerk on duty didn't show we had any of that. After a call to back to him, he said - "oh the guy who was supposed to post this, didn't know what he was doing" Ok, one mess up is not going to be any big deal. We arranged for our cookies and mile to arrive at 9:30 when we came in from dinner, and when we came home at 9pm they were sitting outside out door (which is outside) with the milk uncovered and the cookies too. OK. Strike two. Sunday morning was Mother's Day and we called the front desk to get the breakfast coupons and they said just stop by. We walked into the dining room to find out from a really crabby cook setting up a buffet who announced, breakfast was over early because of Mother's Day. Strike three. Thank goodness Ruth who is the manager came over and told us we could be accommodated in the bar and she was terrific and could not have been nicer. We went back to the front desk staff who had no idea that breakfast had stopped at 9:30am. Ben (the golf pro who had been called in to work at the desk) was wonderful and apologized and invited us back for another stay. He said the person who usually worked the desk and had quit and everyone there was new. So here's my question…….WHERE WAS THE GENERAL MANAGER of the hotel and why hadn't he trained the new front desk group. Why was he or she not working since the staff was new. Why didn't he or she provide any sort of training to the new staff. I feel for new people who end up in job and the hotel manager can't bring themselves to do any training It puts them in such a terrible position. Will we go back, yes. Hopefully all the issues with the right hand not know what the left hand is doing will be fixed!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your kind remarks about our location, views, and guest rooms. I'm so sorry for the service issues that you experienced during your stay, which sound very frustrating and certainly aren't consistent with the standard of excellence that we have set for our staff. I have shared your feedback with our management team, and we will address. We are also pleased to share with you that we'll be welcoming a new general manager to the resort next month (June 2012). Thank you for your willingness to give us another chance. We hope to provide you with an exceptionally wonderful experience the next time you visit us. In the meantime, we wish you the happiest of travels, wherever they may take you.

Been to Garden of the Gods Club and Resort? Share your experiences!