“Make it 59-0!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vista Verde Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clark
Vista Verde Guest Ranch
You added Vista Verde Guest Ranch to your Saves list
58000 Cowboy Way, Clark, CO 80428   |
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Make it 59-0!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

59-0, and still Champion!

This is the first review I have written for Trip Advisor, and VVR compelled me to start being a contributor to this helpful website. I found VVR after trying to find a good alternative to the theme park vacation, but these reviews almost had me worried.

Look, no resort deserves 59 perfect ratings. After all, someone out there must not have enjoyed themselves-- especially on a ranch vacation, which can't be for everyone. And the perfect score creates unrealistic expectations, and when I was researching this property, it actually made me pause.

That said, I am not going to be the one to break the streak. I believe no one else has given 3 or 4 stars because the people who work at the ranch are so incredibly nice and accommodating about everything. Honestly, I am not a person who cares if the hotel staff knows my name when I check in, and I was not swayed by that angle that people touted in reviews. But the people and their attention to detail and service really do make this a special place to vacation.

Yes, there were times when I wish we were together more as a family (as the kids were off with new friends), or when it felt like we could squeeze in a 3rd activity for the day. But really, the more I reflected on this vacation, the more I realized that it really was perfect.

Yes, the kids may have been off with new friends, but that was the perfect opportunity to spend a few quiet moments with my wife. And that down time? By the end of the week, my body appreciated it more than I realized.

Rooms were great-- when we arrived, my son said, "Wow, we are staying in a house!". My kids and wife (she is not a typical "ranch person") are dying to go back, and we will return. Kids like this place better than Disneyworld.

So put the skepticism aside and plan your trip. You will be glad you did.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just got back from a lovely first class ranch vacation. The ranch has very well trained horses. The staff is fantastic. My friend and I were a little nervous with our horses, so one wrangler spent extra time in the arena with us getting us used to our mounts. That was followed up with trail riding. Every day they wanted to know what we wanted to do, then they made it happen. They offer a wide variety of activities beyond herding cows/riding horses, which include rock climbing, mountain biking, fly fishing, hiking, hot air ballooning, horsemanship classes, etc. We stayed in the cabin named Little Agnes, which was lovely. The cabin had 2 bedrooms (and an extra bed upstairs) and 2 bathrooms. The housekeepers were like elfs, we never saw them, and they had the beds made up before we got back from breakfast and did turn down service. The refrigerator was stocked with water, pop, wine, and beer. They had a coffe maker and hot pot for tea or hot chocolate. The service was better than staying at a Four Seasons. The entire ranch was spotless. The food was top notch (I'm still missing the breakfast bacon!) Highlights include every trail ride, every cattle drive, every meal, the leaves being a beautiful yellow, steak dinner on the side of the mountain, and meeting some wonderful new friends. Only negative was, this was the only ranch I've visited where they cantered while herding cows - a lot. It intimidated me eventhough I'm a pretty good rider. (That was my problem, not the ranches!) I'll definitely return, and will hopefully get my non-rider husband to go with me. (September was a fabulous time to visit, the trees were beautiful!) The main ranch house is stunning.

Room Tip: I only saw the inside of Little Agnes but according to the other guests, the other cabins were beau...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

If I could give more stars, I would. This lovely ranch was recommended to me by some dear friends. It far exceeded my expectations. The staff is amazing. Honestly I would look no further. The food, service, activity planning, warm, friendly hospitality were simply outstanding. I traveled here by myself and was able to share in the company of new friends while also finding some peaceful alone time. I have already booked winter and next summer. Can't wait!

Room Tip: There are only 3 lodge rooms in the main building and all are fantastic and beautifully equipped. Th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Fenton, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our family of four had the most wonderful experience during our week-long stay at Vista Verde Ranch! We decided it was our favorite family vacation ever and that says a lot when you have two teenagers.We had so much fun trail-riding, bush-whacking, barn dancing, rock climbing, mountain biking, playing pasture golf, and taking in the beautiful surroundings. The food was amazing. Our cabin was spacious, super clean, elegantly decorated and had all the amenities you could ask for. The best part was the staff....they were exceptional! Can't wait to return someday!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grand Blanc, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our trip to Vista Verde Ranch (VVR) was one of our most memorable in so many ways - unique, fun activities to choose from each day, an amazing group of fellow travelers who enlightened us each day with their insights, their fun outlook on life & their desire to simply enjoy and cherish the moment, and undoubtedly, some of the best food & wine you could ask for. Attention to detail was astounding & the ability of each staff member to know your name at every encounter was remarkable. Honestly, our most challenging decisions each day were to decide on our meal choices & select our activities for the next day. From horseback riding lessons, sleigh rides with yummy hot chocolate, trail rides thru the snow, snow mobiling, dog sledding, photography, and cooking classes with the ranch's chefs - our days were more than filled with fun & brilliant adventures.

Our trip came at a time of year, when my husband and I had no time to "prepare" for the trip - right after the holidays (which we'd both worked) and no vacation in over 6 months - it was a much-needed break and that it was. We often talk about our time at VVR with great fondness and tell our friends and family that we must find the chance to all travel there together - a testament to the fantastic experience we had.

We look forward to our return to VVR - both in the winter & the summer months - for another wonderful holiday memory.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

As each of my three grandchildren turned six, hr or she joined Grammy (that's me) for a week at the dude ranch. We just spent our 7th summer vacation week at Vista Verde. When we got off the plane this year, my older grandson said, "Grammy we are home." The last day my younger grandson said, "Can we come back the same week next year?" These three city kids have become accomplished riders, and enjoy the hikes and mountain biking and all the amazing activities at VVR. The staff, accomodations, food, and activities are "over the top" wonderful. The guests have always been an amazing and diverse group - single, couples, parents with children. It is a spectacular experience for everyone. I am retired now and travel the world. There is no place more magical than Vista Verde.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

I cannot think of one thing that would make this place better. Between amazing staff, beautiful location, great activities, it does not get a whole lot better! Highly recommend. Especially enjoyed barn dance, trail rides, biking.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Vista Verde Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!