“History at its best” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Black Hawk, Colorado
“History at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This place puts you back in the 1700's. Amazing they were able to keep it in this state...very worthwhile tour.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Perfect for Before or After the Opera”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Located in the historic Teller Hotel building connected with the Central City Opera House, this is an elegant, friendly place. Though a little limited, the dual-purpose lunch/dinner menu has good variety and is all very good, with nice fresh ingredients and excellent service. I had the pulled pork sandwich for lunch and a Cobb salad for dinner on a recent trip to the opera there. Homemade pickles witht the sandwich were a definite plus. Fabulous setting in an historic building plus very good food and friendly, efficient service make the Rouge a winner.

Visited July 2012
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Could Be Much Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We ate at Rouge once and cancelled our second reservation. I had the tuna tartare appetizer with house made sesame crackers. The ahi tuna was fine but the crackers had no crack and were limp. My main was coffee crusted lamb loin with bread pudding and wilted greens. The greens were incredibly bitter and inedible. They overpowered everything else on the plate. My wife had the mixed greens and shaved fennel salad which she enjoyed. Her main was seared scallops with celery root puree. She liked the taste, but there were only 3 scallops and the entree cost $28. Where I come from that is larceny. We also ate four times at the Face Bar, in the same building and also a Kevin Taylor restaurant. The food here is uneven and ranges from excellent to barely edible. For example, I had the seared Japanese spiced ahi tuna, but it was a tough chunk of tuna with inedible grizzle and even difficult to cut. My plate was supposed to be served with pickled ginger, but none of it made it to my plate. Instead there was an incongruous piece of sliced zucchini. On the other hand, the $11 sirloin burger and fries are exceptional. So Kevin Taylor can really make a good burger. The salads are also good, and the striped bass is a small portion but delicious. Service was mostly very good.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boulder, Colorado
“A head-shaking disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Our anniversary dinner at Rouge was a head-shaking disappointment. I can't believe Kevin Taylor has anything to do with that place. First of all, the "restaurant" was a nondescript, converted banquet room normally used, I assume, for wedding receptions and meetings of the Rotary. Even worse than the ambiance was the dinner. My watercress salad was so peppery it tasted like shaved Japanese radish. It was not edible. My "coffee-crusted loin of Colorado lamb" was so tasteless I could not have identified it had I not known. The accompanying bread pudding was a charred gummy mess and the wilted greens were so tough and bitter they too were inedible. I look forward to another night at the opera down the street, but I will never return to Rouge.

• Visited July 2011