“Exhilirating!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Calypso Adventures

Calypso Adventures
20 Wongaling Beach Road, Wongaling Beach, Mission Beach, Queensland 4852, Australia
+61 (0)7 4068 8432
Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Adventure
Melbourne, Australia
“Exhilirating!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

One of the best experiences of my life! Only 1 hour's ride from Mission Beach, we stopped and watch whales right next to our boat - the staff must have seen this amazing sight countless times but they were still hugely enthusiastic. The reef itself was stunning - we saw turtles, sharks, giant clams and a huge variety of fish. It was my first attempt at snorkelling and the staff made sure I was fully prepared. In fact, they made sure everyone saw as many as possible of the wonderful sights under the water. Would thoroughly recommend this exceptional experience.

Visited July 2012

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Diving for sea dogs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I went out with Calypso following a dive further South at Airlie Beach with Fantasea. The experience between the two operators could not be more different. Yes the Calypso vessel is not as big or as plush and yes you can get a bumpy ride out to the reef but the diving is exceptional and really worth it. Once I had completed the dive (3 turtles, 2 sharks, 2 rays and a host of other reef life later) I had a quick snorkel and swimming back to the ladder I was escorted by a shark and a turtle.... Not sure it could have got much better!

In comparison I saw none of the above around the Fantasea pontoon and observed much damage across the reef that is indicative of the vast numbers of visitors. I also struggled with the commercial elements of the operation with a dedicated photographer and helicopter flights all on hand to try and extract further cash.

For me it comes down to personal preference, if you are after a Disney day out to see a few fish and a bit of coral then go with the larger operators. If you want to see some real big reef game, some spectacular coral formations and are prepared to take a bit of rough then make the effort to get to Mission and find Calypso. For me the choice is obvious...... And that's before we get to sustainability!

Visited June 2012
Bridport, United Kingdom
“Great Barrier Reef trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Brilliant trip, great staff a must for anyone visiting Queensland

Visited June 2012
North Saanich, British Columbia, Canada
57 attraction reviews
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Once we got to the reef, it was very good. The colours (even on a cloudy day) were spectacular and it was really interesting to see what initially looked like rocks suddenly move. And there were lots of fish.

However, we were disappointed with several things. The boat that took us to the reef was basically a taxi; it had a capacity of 11 passengers sitting on bench seats, and there were 10 when we went. You had to stay in your seat as there was no possibility of moving once underway. The trip took about 1 hour so it was somewhat boring being forced to remain seated for so long. We had 2 hours to snorkel but we were surprised that so little attention was paid to safety instruction prior to people getting into the water. And there was insufficient "personal care" once in the water. Compared to three other snorkeling trips we took while in Australia, this was by far the worst from a safety instruction standpoint.

As this was only a half-day trip no lunch was provided and only a few drinks and snacks were available at a cost. At $125 for two hours of snorkelling this is not really a bargain compared to other reef tours. I would suggest you shop around. However, setting all of that aside, once you get to the reef you will not be disappointed with the underwater views.

Visited March 2012
Sydney, NSW
“Great day with Calypso.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Thanks to Calypso for our trip to the reef. We took our 7 month old on the boat with us and they were more then accommodating.

Visited November 2011