“OK but not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Calypso Adventures

Calypso Adventures
20 Wongaling Beach Road, Wongaling Beach, Mission Beach, Queensland 4852, Australia
+61 (0)7 4068 8432
Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Adventure
Lancashire
6 attraction reviews
“OK but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Everything about this trip was just ok but i've had better trip experiences at Port Douglas, Townsville & Lady Musgrave. Being the only reef trip in town means they don't appear to go that bit extra. Staff were ok without the banter i've had on other trips, not much effort was made to connect fellow travellers, lunch was disappointing. Eddie reef was lovely with no turtles spotted but plenty of fish and 1 shark. Given a choice for the price go elsewhere, if you don't have the choice then it's ok.

Visited June 2011

Melbourne, Australia
“Nauseous disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Early November I stayed on Dunk Island with my boyfriend and his parents (over from England). We were told by the activities centre that they hadn't been getting the numbers required to get as many trips out to Eddy reef. When one was going a couple of days into our stay, we didn't hesitate to book.

There was no picture of the boat to expect but it turned out to be quite small and certainly far from the catamarans that I later saw advertised in their brochures in Cairns.
There were about 22 on the trip plus a few staff. 10 minutes into the trip we got saturated on the top deck as it was already so rough. Managed to (stagger) downstairs but there it had to smell a strong smell of petrol that seemed contained in this area. Many were sick including myself and my boyfriends Mum who was vomiting and nauseous the entire trip. I didn't even want to think about food, but when I went into the small air conditioned section of the boat I saw they had lunch. This looked to be quite basic - something like ham salad rolls with coffee / tea.

The weather report on Dunk is taken from a far distance so perhaps not entirely accurate, but according to them knots where 15/20.
A staff member told us that the water on Eddy reef was 2 meters higher than usual. This completely changes your view and we were quite disappointed. The sea was rough the entire travelling time and when we were at the reef it was quite choppy despite it supposedly being protected.

I've once travelled out to the reef from Port Douglas on a large catamaran and thought when Calypso were charging $165 pp we could expect a similar standard. I'm afraid I was totally wrong! This trip in no way compares to my other snorkelling experiences which include the Red Sea and Fiji.
What a shame!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
6 attraction reviews
“fantastic trip to Eddy Reef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

We were blown away by Eddy reef. We have snorkeled quite a bit in our lives, including a trip from Port Douglas (on Aristocat), but this trip was the most amazing. The reef is horseshoe shaped which provided a great deal of protection from the currents of the ocean. The reef was so diverse and fish so amazing. The boat was not as new as the Arisocat but had everything that was needed, and a bit smaller too so once we got to the reef there weren't as many people in the water and so I didn't have any one swimming into me or kicking me with their fins. The staff also did a great job explaining reef protocol and reef protection. If I had to choose between from Port Douglas (on Aristocat) versus Calypso to Eddy Reef- hands down this would be the trip I would take. As a bonus, it was slightly cheaper, $169 which included equipment if needed, and lunch.

Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Loved this company and tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

We went out to Eddy Reef with Calypso Adventures and had one of the best days of our lives. The ride out to the reef was bumpy and some people on the boat were sea sick but really, this kind of weather is to be expected in April in Far North Queensland. Once at the reef we were blown away with the quality of the reef and the friendliness of the staff. My only compaint is that I didn't have time to go on another day trip to see more!
I certainly would recommend this company to a friend.

Seattle, Washington
“less than stellar”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

The morning of departure my wife felt ill and then winds were 20kts on the seas. I called to cancel and they refused to refund me the money stating that ride out the reef would be a little bumpy but not bad and that all you must cancel the day before even if there is adverse weather. We decided to go not wanting to lose out on $165 per person. The boat was on the small side and the ride out was so bad due to high seas that several people were throwing up and getting sick. Passengers were upset. Even the staff had to walked on there hands and knees to get around the boat. The staff seemed indifferent to my wife's needs. During lunch I went to get a bottle of water o calm my wife's stomach down and the lunch lady told me that would cost $3.00. Overall is was obivous that the captain pushed the envelope of safety with the rough seas in a effort to collect all of our money. I have been on many boats during my life and that day ranked as one of the worse rides I have been on.