“Great Week Away!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Badger Creek Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canon City
Badger Creek Guest Ranch
You added Badger Creek Guest Ranch to your Saves list
5795 County Road #2, Canon City, CO 81212   |
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Week Away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at Badger Creek Ranch for a week after finishing graduate school in May 2013 and absolutely loved it. I rode in the mornings and did stray work I brought with me in the afternoons. Every day I was impressed by how expansive the ranch felt and by the calm it instilled in me. Eric and Sue are fantastic people: really welcoming, smart, and funny. Great people to spend time with on rides, at (the very yummy) meals, and out by the horseshoes game. A beginner on horseback, I was comfortable riding out in the open alongside Eric and left planning to spend more time riding in the coming year. Make sure you stay up late enough at least one night to see the crazy array of stars visible from the ranch - a different world from the city in which I live. The amazing terrain and gorgeous views stay in mind after you leave; I'd return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Guest Ranch, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hey EU,

Thanks so much for kind words. You were a perfect guest to help kick off our 2013 season!
Good luck with all your summer projects.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My family and I recently spent the weekend at Badger Creek Ranch and the experience was outstanding. "Picturesque" is not overstating the location - gorgeous rolling hills high in the Rockies, far from any disturbance from traffic noise, lights etc. Eric and Sue are terrific hosts. We were spoiled with three home cooked meals a day, complete with desert!

The horseback riding experience was tremendous. Eric and his wrangler are great instructors, and their horses are beautiful and easy-going. We spent each morning riding through the hills, came back for lunch, and then had the afternoon free to hike, play horseshoes, or just relax.

My family and I highly, highly recommend Badger Creek Ranch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Guest Ranch, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thanks Russell! We truly enjoyed having you and your family here. Hope the rest of your vacation was great! Come back anytime.
Rochester, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed at Badger Creek Ranch in September and had a great time. It was very relaxing and a nice change of scenery. Loved all the horses and had a fabulous time riding every day. I personally enjoyed being so far from civilization and high in the mountains. Eric and Sue are terrific hosts and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. I loved being around Eric and watching his great horse skills. There is much to learn from him. Sue is an unbelievable cook and hunger is one thing you do not have to worry about. I will definetely return if ever given the chance. Thank you very much Eric and Sue!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We recently stayed at Badger Creek Ranch whilst on our honeymoon for 3 nights (which was not long enough!). Eric and Sue (and the dogs) were absolutely lovely and did everything to make our stay extra special. The horse riding was fantastic both for myself who is a semi-experienced rider and for my husband who is a novice. The country was so beautiful and isolated. It was such a wonderful unique experience to ride around it. It was great to see some wildlife and also have time to relax in the afternoon. And finally...the food was FANTASTIC, Sue is a great cook and all the meals had a wonderful home-cooked flavour to them. I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay for a long as possible! Thank you Eric and Sue x

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I spent 5 days (all too short) at the ranch. Eric and Sue are the best folks and are sharing their dream of becoming ranchers with us. Eric & Sue have owned Badger Creek Ranch going on 6 years and loving every minute of it. Winters are tough, summers can be hot and dry but these two people are living the dream. Those of us who are lucky enough to visit this beautiful, untouched haven will never forget it. Waking up to coyotes howling, elk walking the driveway, herds of antelope and the calm, peacefulness of the ranch strip away the whirlwind non-stop life we lead and teach you how to relax again. The horses are wonderful and as sure-footed as any mountain goat. Eric has a certain calmness when working with the horses and guests that will cancel out any nervousness of riding the open range that you may have. Will you be galloping across the range - of course not - but you will be riding across prairie, up and down hills and the small mountain ranges that are part of the ranch and view spectacular landscape. I counted cows, checked fences (hard to believe that people actually will cut through a fence) ate lunch out of saddle bags, explored caves, saw a Buffalo Jump and just sat and enjoyed the peace of this beautiful ranch. If you are looking for non-stop "activities" and the go-go-go bustle of dude ranches where every second is planned, Badger Creek isn't for you. If you want to unwind, decompress, sit back and relax Badger Creek is the place.
The Bunk House has two guest rooms, (maximum of 6 guests) a kitchen and living room - make yourself at home. I visited by myself and felt like part of a family, the other two guests (long time returning guests) that arrived later in the week were so much fun. Sue is a great cook and you will enjoy her cooking - you won't want for food. Sue and Eric and guests all enjoy meals together discussing what the day may hold for you or what you saw and did. If you want to ride or sit on the bunkhouse porch with a cup of coffee looking at the horses grazing you can do either. I arrived on a Monday, turned off the cell phone, took my watch off and never thought about either until I left the following Saturday. There are plenty of places to hike if you don't want to ride. I rode every day and loved it! Eric will have you ride in the round pen the first day to see how you ride or work with you if you never have been on a horse before. Safety of the guests is the number one priority.. everyone starts in the round pen. The horses are lovely, I rode Earl and he took excellent care of me for the entire week. There are two dogs who will come along on the rides with you; Blue and Sami, and of course there is the resident barn cat 'Ghost' along with chickens and a rooster who crows all day - don't think he has figured out the morning thing yet. I could go on and on, but the best review I could give is that you must go to the ranch and experience the adventure yourself.

Room Tip: Not set up for children. Don't over estimate your riding ability, if you haven't ridden in...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed for 6 nights, it was perfect! Very calm, peaceful, and quiet area. Sue and Eric are perfect hosts, very friendly and accomodating. The countryside is totally unlike the East Coast, took over 150 photos! Eric finds the right horse for you on the 1st day, and you keep that horse for the entire time. I had not ridden in 7 years, but it felt just like yesterday. Sue is a wonderful cook and we never went hungry. I had hoped to lose some weight on vacation, but at least I did not gain any! Mornings are spent riding, but the afternoons are free. I had plenty of time to just sit and read. You could travel out to Canon City or Salida (20 miles away), go hiking, or just drive around and see the scenery. This is not a place where every minute is planned out for you, so you need to be able to entertain yourself. The bunkhouse has two guest rooms, very comfortable, with your own bath. Each room has 2 beds. Kitchen, dining/living area attached. TV available in the living room. Ranch is powered by Solar power with generator backup. No Cell phone service, so don't even think about working while you are here! Somtimes on high ridges service would come in. Of course the ranch has a phone and internet if you need to communicate with home. Two dogs, a cat, chickens, birds, cows and the horses will keep you occupied at the ranch, then the occasional coyote, elk and deer on the plains. There was only myself and another guest there, both traveling alone, but we were never lonely.
Overall, a wonderful week. I already feel jealous of the next guests, and hope to go back someday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Regensburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed at Badger Creek Ranch at the end of our two-month trip through the US and could not have chosen a better place! The Ranch lies beautifully in the highlands between Canon City and Salida and is the perfect place to relax and leave the outside world behind. We enjoyed great riding trips with Eric and Kaylin to look after the ranch's cattle or just to explore and enjoy the beautiful landscape up there.
The hosts Sue and Eric are just amazing and have created a very special and welcoming atmosphere at the Ranch, which makes you feel 'at home' right from the moment when you arrive.

We can highly recommend the Ranch to everyone and hope to be back sometime soon!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Badger Creek Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!