“Phenomenal Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Badger Creek Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canon City
Badger Creek Guest Ranch
You added Badger Creek Guest Ranch to your Saves list
5795 County Road #2, Canon City, CO 81212   |
Littleton, MA
“Phenomenal Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

This was truly a magical experience. I had never been to a ranch before and wanted very much to ride a horse, but wasn't sure that I would be able to do so without being in panic mode! Eric & Sue put my fears to rest right away--Eric spent time with us in the corral, making sure we could comfortably control our respective horses, before venturing out on the trail.

The hospitality was exceptional--wonderful food, accommodations and conversation. This is a small, homey atmosphere--no large or set agendas. Trips and activities were custom designed for our wants and needs.

Everything on the website is true--it's a wonderful place!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Leave your media filled world behind and let Badger Creek Ranch show you the true meaning of relaxation. Let the mountain vistas wrap you in their beauty and nature be your guide! Sue and Eric are just the people to provide you with a vacation you will not forget. Their hospitality, accommodations, friendliness and divine meals will provide you with memories to last a life time. Sitting around the campfire in the evening, riding horses on the trail, visiting the caves where Ute indians once called home will make you envious of where they call 'home.' Thank you, Eric and Sue for opening your ranch and giving me an experience I'll always remember. I highly recommend booking your next vacation at Badger Creek Ranch and experiencing your own "Rocky Mountain High!"
Tiggrr :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Sue727_11, Owner at Badger Creek Guest Ranch, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Hey Tigger,

Thanks so much for the kind words. Guests like you are why we love this business!!
Boulder, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My stay at Badger Creek Ranch was terrific in every way! The surrounding landscape is stunning, and seeing and exploring it on horseback was just awesome. We did everything from leisurely sight-seeing rides, to moving cattle, to riding out to the ruins of an old Native American ceremonial site. I'm an experienced rider and I came with a friend who was not, and we both had a fantastic time together - on and off the horses. Exploring Badger Creek on foot was also breathtaking. The horses were all sweet animals, and Eric matched us well with our mounts. I was excited that I also got to do some more "serious" riding and I learned a lot from Eric about western horsemanship.

Our room in the bunkhouse was clean and cozy, and the food Sue cooked was delicious! We had campfires most evenings, and I'd never seen a night sky like that one before! The ranch is remote and peaceful - really the perfect place to "get away" and unwind. I feel like we also got a really authentic taste of what cattle ranching is like, and we had the opportunity to meet some of the locals!

I really don't have a single criticism - if you're looking for a truly one of a kind experience, not a franchised "spa ranch vacation" where tourists are herded around like the cattle, then this is your place. As I said, at the end of our week-long stay I didn't want to leave, and I'm dying to go back!!

Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Badger Creek Ranch is THE place to indulge in the cowboy life in a non touristy way. It’s the real thing. The scenery was stunning and became more breathtaking with every day’s ride.
It was magical to wake to the sun streaming in, the sounds of Eric preparing the horses and the aroma of coffee brewing to perfection. Badger Creek Ranch is off grid but had everything needed for a comfortable stay. The breakfasts were epic and set you up for the day.
I hadn’t ridden regularly for 30 years and valued Eric’s quiet, calm confidence. He gave tips and praise along with information on the plants, scenery and history of the surroundings. Four of us rode, accompanied by the dogs. No nose to tail riding here.
Being out for initially three then up to six hours gave ample time to explore in the afternoons. A stunning drive to Salida and St. Elmo, a ghost town in the mountains, were memorable trips. So too Badger Creek.
We had some unplanned cattle driving when we discovered that the herd had decided to check if the grass really was greener on the neighbouring ranch! The dogs and horses had the chance to show what they could do under Eric’s expert guidance; an amazing experience.
We had booked rafting down the Royal Gorge on our last day, so Eric suggested some work that morning in the round pen with a different horse, Colonel. I felt truly privileged to watch his natural horsemanship methods and then thrilled to try them out for myself. It was a fantastic end to a perfect holiday.
5 nights wasn’t enough and I still miss the tranquillity and feeling of absolute contentment at the end of every day, sat on the deck with the dogs on coyote watch. Keep protecting those chickens guys! Thank you SO much Sue and Eric, you do an amazing job and are the best hosts EVER. We felt so welcome and enjoyed the varied conversations with you and Ute at dinner.
Thanks also to Earl and Spike, our lovely horses, for looking after us both so well. We hope to return soon. Badger Creek is the perfect antidote to the real world.
All our best wishes,
Jane and Graham, South West England

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Ripley, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I would like to thank Sue and Eric for a great time at their ranch along with their wonderfully hospitality. We couldn't have asked for a better time out west then what we found there. The food was excellent and the accommodations were very clean and nice. The views of the landscape were breath taking and beautiful!!! The horses were great to ride and work with. We will try to go back as soon as we can. P.S We will never forget the trip.
Adam & Erica Conant — West Virginia

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
amiens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

I spent five weeks at the Badger Creek ranch in july. It was amazing and I keep a very good memories of it. Sue and Eric, the owners, are very nice and they welcome you to make yourself at home. It is for rider who has his "American dream ": discover the western equitation, count, check and lead the herd of cows through the vast plains of the ranch, feel this impression of freedom which invades you when you cross the big plains on horseback... I hope that I will come back very soon !
Geraldine Van De Kerchove — Allonville, France

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Bamberg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Picking Badger Creek Ranch for my 12 day vacation this September was the best thing I have done this year. I was inspired by Sue and Eric's homepage and after our first e-mail contact I was sure I wanted to make the long trip over the Atlantic Ocean. Sure, I can tell that I definitely spent the most wonderful days on beautiful horses and with Eric and Sue as the most terrific hosts in a breathtaking scenery. We had spectacular rides and especially after 8 hours of moving cows and doing the "real thing" it made me feel very proud to hear Eric's "Thanks, you did a great job!" He knows everything about his horses and seeing him working and talking to them gave me this "horse whisperer" impression. I fell in love with Earl, a fantastic 3 year old quarter horse with a big horse heart, an amazing will to work and a very smooth and gentle trot. But I also enjoyed having great rides with Sundance, Spike and Tio, mostly accompanied by Blue and Sammi; the dogs.

Sue is brilliant at cooking, baking Brownies and making coffee, even better than the one at Starbucks! This made me gain about 3 kilos, but it was worth it ;o) Staying at Badger Creek Ranch has given me some unexpected visions. Again I would like to say thank you to Sue and Eric for treating me like a family member and letting me take part in the American horse life on the open ranch.

You are a perfect team, great campfire makers and remarkable truck drivers :o) Thanks for taking good care of me. This adventure will stick with me forever and you can be sure I will be back soon!!
Ute
Bamberg, Germany
Thanks so much!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Badger Creek Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!