“Great place for families to enjoy the wilderness of Colorado and quality family time while making new friends and memories of a” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buena Vista
Elk Mountain Ranch
13000 CR 185B, Buena Vista, CO 81211   |
Special Offer
Save $300 per adult
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful ranch with so much to do with such friendly staff and hosts! They go the extra mile to meet all your expectations. Cozy cabins, great food, caring staff, well- trained horses and wranglers made our week memorable. Highly recommend this ranch to all- we had never ridden horses but had a great time! The scenery is amazing! White water rafting was a highlight too. Give it a try, you won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2012

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
montgomery, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I recently spent an amazing week at Elk Mountain Ranch. This week was simply heaven!! The setting was beautiful, the horses perfect, the accomodations wonderful, and the entire staff went above and beyond to make sure our vacation was everything we wanted it to be. Tom & Sue open their entire ranch to people they've never met every week - I can't say we know too many people that would do that with the ease they do; they and the rest of the staff were always smiling and laughing and being a wonderful part of it all. We were all treated like family and were able to do as much or as little as we liked. The staff was so knowledgeable about the area that every ride had a bit of a history lesson built in. We met some wonderful people while we were there and the entire experience has touched our lives. Getting so close to nature on horseback everyday for hours was just amazing.... There really are no words to express what this vacation meant. Thank you so much for the wonderful memories and we hope to visit again.... The Johnson's

Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I take my daughter (30) on a vacation every year and I decided to try something I always wanted to do but never did: a dude ranch. I searched and searched and decided for us I wanted a small ranch (didn't think I'd enjoy an experience with 50 or more other people) that seemed to really know horses, one that included white water rafting at no extra cost (money is definitely a big factor for us). Boy did I get lucky. From the moment they picked us up for the ride to the ranch to the minute they dropped us off at the airport the following Sunday, we felt like we were at the Ritz of dude ranches.

I'm a senior now but during the first 30 years of my life would consider myself a very very experienced rider. I realize I haven't seen a horse for 33 years and have gained quite a bit of weight so I was a bit concerned about all the activities, especially the riding. I thought I'd be able to handle myself well but maybe it's not like riding a bike??? My daughter never rode except for Y camp when she was in second grade. I was hoping for a horse that wouldn't be boring but I wanted a super steady easy one for my daughter. Well, the wrangles and Tom (the owner) get to know you that first Sunday and they figure us all out pretty fast. Apparently they go have a cowboy horse meeting Sunday night and decide what horse will fit what guest. Holy cow do they match them up perfectly.

The food, the service (they anticipate your needs before you realize they are your needs) ... all exceeded our expectations sooooo beyond what we expected.

I highly recommend it for families, couples, and solo and a bunch of friends. It's a vacation we will never forget!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

What a great mother daughter trip this was!! I can't rave enough about the customer service and staff :) it was our home away from home....and my mom even cried when we left!

Thanks for a great memory!
Jeanne slingluff

• Stayed June 2012
Cocoa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I recently visited Elk Mountain Ranch. We found them through the Dude Ranchers Association site. It looked like the experience we were looking for and it was!!
All of the staff were warm and inviting. They knew our names after the first day! Every meal was yummy. Many fresh salads and fruits accompanied the meals. Since I don't eat pork/beef, Sue made sure I had an alternate. Turkey hot dogs at cook out, chicken at main meals, and even turkey bacon:) The horsemanship orientation that Tom provided was the best we ever had. We learned so much in that hour and half that will enrich our next horse experience. The cabin had a perfect western feel. Safety on the horses was at the top of the list. The wranglers were great. The rides took different trails every time. Our favorite was the one through the Aspen forest. I could just go on and on. Sue and Tom were wonderful. They run a" tight ship"
The children's programs were great as well. So if you have families, you can ride and know your children are well taken care of.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

My wife and I just finished with our vacation at EMR, and I can without reservation tell you that it was our best vaction ever. From the very first contact, the staff at EMR made us feel special. I had mentioned to Sue that I wanted to do a mountaintop vow renewal, and she took it from there, offering to contact a local Reverend, and just went out of her way to make our dreams come true. The rides were fantastic, the staff was outgoing, and the fellow guests really made our vacation feel like a family gathering rather than an anonymous "by the numbers" event. I do have to say, that the staff really went out of their way for us, and I am very grateful for that. My wife is lactose intolerant, and at every meal, they offered her Silk, and made entrees specifically for her, without cheese or dairy in order to accomodate. There was not a moment during our vacation, they didn't make us feel like Kings of the Mountain. If you are considering ANY other vacation other than Elk Mountain Ranch, stop now, and book at EMR. You won't regret a second of it. (Make sure to stay up after the power goes off to see the stars!)

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brea, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We really didn't know what to expect as we have never been on a "dude ranch" vacation. I can say the brochures didn't do it justice. It was beyond our expectations. Tom & Sue and the staff were the best! The food was delicious. The accommodations were clean and comfortable. The horsemanship orientation at the beginning of the week was awesome, as you could really tell that EMR cares about their horses and their guests and wanted each person to have the best possible riding experience. My husband who is a more experienced rider than myself had a great time. Tom & Sue helped me feel comfortable on my horse (at my request) before setting me out on the trail. The horses and the riding were fantastic. The scenery was breathtaking, and we even got to see some of the wildlife. We met some great new people and can not wait to go return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Elk Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!