“What a View!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Breckenridge
Somonauk, Illinois
“What a View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

I found The Lodge & Spa online and it was my first choice. It was as good as was advertised. My husband & I were getting away by ourselves for our anniversary and wanted some place more quiet & romantic than the average hotel. We got exactly that! We had a mountain view room which was fabulous. Being from Illinois, the mountains were quite a sight to behold! This was our first trip to Colorado, but it won't be our last. It was a short drive to the slopes, and although we had a car, they do have a van that will shuttle you to the slopes. The Top of the World Restaurant was excellent, and they serve a free continental breakfast every day there, so you really get to enjoy the mountain views. The staff were all very kind and helpful. The only negative is that the bathroom was very small, but this was just a slight inconvenience. We highly recommend The Lodge & Spa for any couple, young or old, if you're looking for something truly special.

Stayed December 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2007

Because I have never before been led astray by tripadviser reviews, I booked Top of the World restaurant for 4 adults on New Year's Eve with confidence. It was not at all the elegant experience that we had anticipated. We were shepherded into an extremely unattractive conference room after waiting outside the door for 1/2 hour (beside a bar with no bartender in attendence) and seated at a card table. The service was both slow and not particularly friendly. There was a country music trio which was not appropriate at all to the occasion. For $85 per person (not including drinks) we expected much much much more. We left , along with most of the other miserable looking customers, before 10pm. This experience would have been OK for a very cheesy wedding reception, but no one should go for New Year's Eve! I think that the Top of the World should be ashamed of this blatent money-making attempt! The only people enjoying themselves were the children begging from table to table for party favors! There are better restaurant experiences in Breckenridge for much less money- I advise you to skip this one!

Sov, Management Response at The Lodge at Breckenridge, responded to this review, January 31, 2007
We are responding to the unfortunate experience that the guests had at the New Year's banquet event in the Mountain View Room at The Lodge & Spa at Breckenridge.

It is apparent that these guests had different expectations than what rwas received. We are sincerely apologetic that their night did not live up to their expectations. The event they purchased for the evening was not the event at the Top of the World restaurant. That event was $185 per person, 7-course gourmet fine dining event, with unlimited champagne.

The event they purchased was at the Mountain View Room (located at The Lodge & Spa at Breckenridge), $85 per person and was priced accordingly to the options available for that evening in Breckenridge. Including live entertainment with a country trio that is an up and coming group in Nashville and well respected and recognized in the country music ranks.

We share this with you as we want all the facts to be clear in this misunderstanding, and that the fine dining event at the Top of the World was not the event that these guests attended. Also, it is unfornuate that the event that they did attend did not live up to their level of expectation as it sounds like our fine dining event at the number one restaurant in Breckenridge, Top of the World, would have met their expectations for the level of food, entertainment and drinks included.

We welcome the opportunity for them to dine at the Top of the World restaurant in the future.

~ The Lodge & Spa at Breckenridge Management
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

I randomly chose this property out of several choices I saw on the Internet, and when we arrived it definitely exceeded my expectations ! The location is amazing - the views from both our room and the deck areas were outstanding. We went to check out town, but couldn't wait to get back to the Lodge where we enjoyed the live music at happy hour and then an awesome dinner at the Top of the World restaurant. We brought a dog so it was nice that the lodge accommodates pets :-) Upon our early arrival we were pleased that our room was ready for us; and the welcome bag full of cold meds, tea, and various other snacks and sundries was awesome as one of us came down with a cold that day.... the other cool thing was the available wi-fi in the lobby area, I wish I brought my laptop so I could have stayed longer up there and done my work remotely. Very cozy lobby also has books and games which we would have played were we not so enamored with hanging by the fireplace in our room !

In short, we missed breakfast because the room was too comfortable to get out of - but I'm sure that would have been yummy too. Our only regret was that we forgot our swimsuits & couldn't go in the outdoor hot tub !!! Next time though.....

• Liked — The views and coziness factor
  • Disliked — That checkout was at 11
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a mountain view room w/fireplace - try to get on upper floor
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2006

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It's very quiet and quaint - exactly what we were looking for for this vacation. We booked a mountain view room and it was incredible. I felt the room size was more than sufficient and the fireplace really helped warm the room up after a day of skiing. They also have portable humidifiers in the room which is nice for those of us who aren't used to the dry Colorado air. Make sure you follow the directions and turn into the hotel on the second Overlook Drive - it's in the shape of a horseshoe and the first drive is very steep!

Also, if you are looking for something fun to do besides ski and enjoy the city - check out Dogsledding with Good Times Adventures - it was an awesome experience and they claim they can tailor the trip to any age.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The late check in time
  • Tips/Secrets — Using the 2nd Overlook drive to enter the hotel!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tulsa, ok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

The big snow storm in Oklahoma this year left me stranded in Colorado a few weeks ago. In an effort to make the most of it--I booked a hotel online with hotwire at Breckenridge. Of course, the name doesn't show and I was a little nervous. But, it was a great rate. I booked it and drove into town. I was more nervous as I followed a road up the hill 2 miles above Breckenridge wondering what I had gotten myself into. Then--there it was. The wonderful Lodge on the top of the mountain. My eyes lit up when I pulled up and I didn't stop smiling for the entire duration of my stay. The rooms were a perfect combination of woodsy lodge and shabby chic. There was a great fireplace (I took a photo of it and it's still on my cellphone as the wallpaper!). I had a great massage, a wonderful facial that left my face glowing weeks later and sat in a hot tub on the side of the mountain. I cannot wait to get back there. It was an adult version of Breckenridge...close enough to easily be part of everything (especially with the complimentary shuttle that took me to dinner and picked me up after a few glasses of wine) but far enough up to feel like it was a whole new world. I have been to Breckenridge so many times before and this was by far the best experience I've had. I could go on...but I won't or you might think I work for the hotel. :) Hope you enjoy!

• Liked — It was just such a nice surprise compared to most lodges in Breckenridge.
  • Disliked — Stay too short. :)
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't plan on a big social scene at the hotel...just some quiet great views and good food. :)
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2006

After booking 3 months in advance for a Thanksgiving ski trip to beautiful Colorado, we arrived to find out that our room was given away and we were bumped to another hotel. Since it was Thanksgiving night, the hotel manager refused to speak with us on the phone and said she would "deal with us tomorrow". The other hotel room was small, noisy and not at all what we paid for. After going back the next day (and calling Expedia manager's for a refund), the hotel manager refused to give us a reason for the move and admitted she had to bump us and another family. While honest, she was rude and unprofessional. She agreed to refund our money to Expedia which, I was told this week, was not done. However, she did comp us spa treatments at the hotel after much discussion. It was the worst Thanksgiving experience of my life. If you book at this hotel, be aware that you just might not have a room when you get there. They seemed to care less about their customers and do NOT care about what affect their actions might have on someone. Stay somewhere else. You would be better off.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

We have stayed at the Lodge many times. After every stay, we are certain we will be back again! The breath-taking views from the decks are wonderful no matter what time of year you are there. We love that the Lodge is dog-friendly. The Lodge has a great atmosphere --whether you are sitting in front of the fireplace in the lobby or having a drink at the bar. It is cozy, inviting and feels like home! We especially like the mountain view rooms. We enjoy the hottubs out on the deck -- good star-gazing -- and the continental breakfast in the morning. We like to bring out of town guests here to get a true feeling of mountain lodging. If we weren't already married, we would be having our wedding reception here! Great location. Excellent atmosphere. Our home away from home!

• Liked — Cozy atmosphere of the room, lobby, bar, hottub
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Lodge at Breckenridge? Share your experiences!