“Great location to lifts and town” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 25%
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Breckenridge
“Great location to lifts and town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I wrote this review in 2003 but have been back to this hotel to ski 3 times since and it is still accurate, except for the maid story at the end! You may find it helpful for room request information. (I stayed here in ski season of 2003, 2007, 2009 and 2012).

The location is great - right in front of Maggie Pond and a very short walk to the lift. The walk to the village is about 7-8 minutes out the back door, (very slippery to walk out the front door on the road). Take it easy the first few days - at 9,000 feet this is one of the highest base villages in the US. The top of the mountain is 12,000 feet, so you'd better be in good shape! First day ills often include headaches, shortness of breath and a light headed feeling. We visited the "O2 Lounge" oxygen bar which made a big difference for us, and we're in pretty good shape! You hang out there and breathe in pure oxygen laced with an aroma therapy of your choice. Highly recommended. We found the studio room we had tastefully furnished and the staff went out of their way to give us the top floor that had a cathedral ceiling and made the room feel larger than it was. I understand there are two sizes of studio rooms, so ask before you book. We were in the "downhill" building, which is closer to the ski locker but a few steps further to get to the pool and town. Since you'll be in a damp garage with wet hair after swimming, I'd ask for the other building, especially if you have children. The front desk staff was unbelievably knowledgeable, friendly and courteous. In fact they displayed a sign for having won an award for this aspect of their improvement. They allowed me to look at an empty one bedroom unit which I'm considering for my next trip. This was a good deal in that it cost just $30 or so more than the studio and comfortably sleeps 6 with 2 full bathrooms. In the living room there is both a pull out couch and a trundle daybed, which is the reason 6 can comfortably (though not privately) sleep. Good for a family. One comment is that the garage needs serious refurbishing! Usually I wouldn't care about the garage since I don't rent a car at ski resorts, but as it turns out this is main thoroughfare to everything and you will be there many times during an average day! It's the way to the ski locker, the swimming pool and the back way in to town. One other comment is that the maid staff, most of whom don't speak English, should be advised not to ram their big cleaning carts into the small elevator during "rush hours" like the morning ski time/check-out time. More than once this happened to me and it forces the guests to retreat into the corner of the elevator since carts can only fit in diagonally. This makes getting on-off a big hassle, not to mention the maid who kept pushing the cart hard when it wouln't budge and ran over my ski bag and foot! I mentioned this in the e-mail guest satisfaction survey the hotel sent me after my stay, so hopefully they'll correct this. Overall though, I must say this was a very enjoyable hotel experience, and I would return. Hope this helps anyone who is considering a visit!

Room Tip: We were in the "downhill" building, which is closer to the ski locker but a few steps furt...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

When we got into our room thie first thing we noticed was the view of the mountains, which was breath taking. Our room was a 1 bedroom and could have been listed as a two bedroom as it was very big. My wife and I loved waking up each morning to the view of the slops.
Once we ventured out we were located right at the main part of the town which we walked to everyday to shop, drink and eat.
The Mountain Valley Lodge had daily activities which we took part of some, but I think most activities will best suit a family with kids. The pool and hot tub area was great with again post card like views. The resort was awesome and we will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for the 7th floor in the Eagle building with a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed over the weekend and were told by the front desk clerk we happened to get a "really good room" on the property. Besides having a view of an empty pond out our deck, the room was not clean at all. There were stains on the furniture and hair on the bathroom floor. The door to the toilet had dust settled that had not been cleaned off for atleast a month, and the shower had mold on the ceiling (along with more hair on the shower ceiling). I felt like we could not be comfortable because it was not up to our standards. I'm glad we only stayed one night because I definitely would have complained if it would have been more than that.

Golden Valley, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Beautiful setting in Breckenridge. Great outdoor pool for lap swimming (and for kids, too). Several whirlpools and generous hours for swimming in a lovely mountain setting. Easy, walking access to town. Excellent activity planner. Studio room was quite small (wouldn't work for 4 adults), but had all the equipment we needed and indoor parking.

Room Tip: Elevator access throughout.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights, Sep 12, in order to mountain bike, trek and drink in the area.
Excellent location, literally just 2 minutes from the great town centre of Breck, but the room and bathroom are in need of a little updating.
Nice and clean, good facilities in our villa room, but just a little bit tired.
Would I stay here again? Yes. But just don't expect a top draw Marriott experience, but then with so much to do in the town, it's just a place to rest your head.
As always, there are some bizarre reviews moaning about anything from the shape of the spoons in the villas to an issue with the car park. It's a hotel, you're on holiday.....relax and get over it!

Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge in late September so we could enjoy the colorful aspens. The Lodge was very conveniently located at the end of Main Street where the rest of Breckenridge was easily accessible by walking. The accommodations were premium and spacious. The room was totally quiet with close covered parking and competitively priced.

Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Just stayed for three nights at this wonderful location. Property is incredibly clean and the location cannot be beat....just a few steps from Main Street. Property is "ski-in/ski-out" during the ski season. View from my bedroom was incredible. The only issue is that parking is a bit "tight" in the underground garage. But, I've already made reservations to return for ski season!

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with a view of the moutains.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge? Share your experiences!