“Love this Lodge!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Breckenridge
SF Bay
“Love this Lodge!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I have stayed here a number of times the past few winters and love it more each time! We really enjoy the seclusion of the woods and hot tubs, while being only a two blocks from downtown (Main St). The office?front desk isn't staffed 24/7, but the owner and employees were very helpful when we did see them with questions. Tip: Read the check in info - The lodge is ski-in/ski-out, however, taking the free bus (across the street from the lodge) up the hill to the base of Peak 7 or 8 to get to the slopes is a MUCH easier option, rather than skiing down to the gondola. At the end of the day, from Peak 8, ski down Four O'Clock Run and stay left to SkyWay SkiWay (to gondola), the lodge is on the right.

Room Tip: Suite 3, on the top floor, with its four post bed, fireplace and balcony is the nicest room we'v...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Boulder, Colo.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you want to be steps away from the charm of downtown Breck, yet feel like you are tucked away in the forrest, this is a great place to stay. The rooms are lovely, the hot tub is grand, and you can park your car once you arrive and walk to hiking, dinner and skiing.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in Feb for a ski trip. We (2 people) took the shuttle in from Denver and found our door key taped to the front door of the lodge. There were instructions enclosed for everything we needed during our stay taped to the front door. The room was on the small side for 2 people but very comfortable. The lodge is beautifully decorated and furnished from bedroom to common areas. Everything was extremely clean. The common eating area had tea, coffee, juice, hot/cold water, ice, cookies, oatmeal and silverware, dishes/glasses and everything you could need. No actual sink or cooking area though but there was a microwave and fridge in our room. Common lounge area on the 1st and 2nd floors had board games, TVs and a warm fireplace and I remember seeing a computer too but didn't use it. We didn't use the hot tubs but it looked fine and several other people did and they seemed to enjoy it. There was an elevator that goes only to the 2nd floor but I couldn't get it to work - storage room for skis/boards is on 2nd floor. We carried skis & snowboards up to our 3rd floor bedroom (didn't see storage room until later) also our luggage - luckily, we packed light. The bus stop is just 3 minutes walk down the street and takes you to all the main lifts, depending on which bus you get on (easy to figure out since bus lines are colour coded). Fifteen minutes walk to main street where all the shops, rental places and restaurants are located.
I didn't really mind the lack of staff around because we didn't need additional services (the maid did make up the room everyday and that was all I needed), in fact, it felt more personal that nobody was around because it felt like we were guests in someone's (very nice) home rather than a hotel/lodge. The lodge was full (I could tell for the many cars parked in front) but I didn't hear anyone, maybe just for a little bit of talking while they were outside in the hot tub area but it didn't bother me at all.
I wasn't sure what to expect when we decided on this place but it was great. Good location, comfortable and had everything we needed during our stay. The only thing was we wished there was a supermarket close by to buy some fruits and snacks (I found one but very expensive and extremely limited selection). If you are driving here, I would recommend stocking up on whatever snacks/food you want before arriving as very limited selection around the lodge. Overall, a great stay, great trip and I will definitely return next year.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Watertown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights mid April, but wish we could have stayed longer. The lodge's location is great, close to everything, yet seems tucked away. Cozy on the outside, Skiway's interior is more tastefully and elegantly decorated than expected. It was a joy to stay in the spacious room with beautiful furnishings, an oversized armoire, romantic lighting, a king size four post bed, a luxurious leather sofa, gas fireplace, flat screen TV and a lovely balcony with french doors overlooking pines and the way into town. Waking up to views of fresh fallen snow each morning only added to the beauty of our room.
The whole hotel was very clean and the 4 staff members we met were all very friendly and gave great suggestions for restaurants and things to do. (Breakfast burritos at Coffee Depot are awesome and Blue River Bistro was great for Sunday brunch). The outdoor hot tubs were also great and relaxing and we felt pampered with the terry robes and slippers provided.
Looking forward to returning to Skiway Lodge soon, as I know Breckenridge is just as beautiful in summer as in winter!

Room Tip: Request the room with the king size 4 posted bed and balcony with fireplace. Sooooo romantic!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

For the price I thought it was great. Like other reviewers, I was suprised by the lack of staff on-site and the "check-in" procedure. My room was very nice....comfy bed... updated recently. The cleaning staff (person) did not make my bed for some reason, which I found odd...but nobody there to voice a complain.The walls are pretty thin, so if you have noisy neighbors it could be a problem ( I think the place was full while I was there, and I hardly heard anyone). No breakfast...I think there was cereal somewhere to eat, but I wanted something hot so went into town to eat. It is truly ski in, and you could ski out to gondola and then back up mountain.
Breck is so easy to get around, and there is a bus stop right outside...I walked to town for dinner and shopping, and rode the shuttle for skiing. My only objective was to ski, so for me it was a great value. I would stay again...probably not if I had a family.

Room Tip: Second floor is same level as ski storage and access to hot tub and ski in/out.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

My wife and I just stayed here for 5 days. This place is perfect. First of all, when you show up there's really no staff. They stick your room key and reservation material on the entry door. A little unorthodox I'll admit, but still ok. The hotel itself is in really good shape. Great furniture and newly remodeled. Its only about 5 min walk to everything you'll need in town including food, brews and rentals. There's a set of stairs out back they let you ski down to the gondola that takes you up to peak 8. You can take the 4 o'clock run right back to the hotel. I gave the service only 3 stars as there really was no one there on sight. We called the provided number when we had any questions or issues and the answered very promptly. Just an FYI. There's really no continental breakfest here. Just oatmeal and toasters. This place was about a third the cost of everybody else, so highly recommended in my book.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

The quick summary: moderately clean hotel for an inflated price run by an absent and completely obnoxious owner who treats his guests as he is doing them a favor by letting them stay in his ski-in but not-quite-ski-out lodge.
My sister, my girlfriend, and I stayed at the Skiway Lodge from December 17-22, 2010. We stayed in Suite 9, which had two single beds and a foldout queen sofa. The room was quite cozy (aka small), as there wasn’t much room to move about once the sofa was unfolded. It was fairly clean, although some of the “slippers,” towels, and robes provided could have been newer and/or washed a few more times (for instance it looked like one of our towels had a blood stain on it).
We arrived late at night, and during the drive there we got lost. We tried to call the hotel to ask for help, but no one picked up. We called 4-5 times between 8:30 and 9:30pm, but every time we got an answering machine. Figuring that the staff was busy, we eventually found our way, and when we arrived, we learned why no one picked up the phone: there is NO staff. Our keys were taped to the outside door, which was convenient and unsettling at the same time. Anyone could’ve taken the keys and stayed in our room for that night, and certainly anyone wandering by could’ve made a few copies for future use. Further, when we arrived in the room it was a balmy 80 degrees. The thermostat was out of batteries, and it was stuck on that setting. Luckily, we were able to switch the triple A batteries from the DVD remote into the thermostat, but I wasn’t quite sure I could do it without breaking it. Just another example of the lax care given…
We finally saw the owner (the only other staff member is a half-a-day cleaning person) our third day there. We were checking out the next day, and I asked him if it would be ok if we took an extra 30 minutes after the posted 12 noon checkout time to vacate the room. Considering that only two rooms total were occupied during our stay (including ours), it really should not have been a big deal. Our plan was to ski the morning, come back for lunch, and then pack up the car and ski for another few hours. He instead suggested we pack up the car in the morning in order for the housekeeper to be able to strip our beds. Not the most convenient for us, but I said ok, and he disappeared for the rest of the day.
The next morning rolled around, and no staff was present. So, we packed up our room, but left the suitcases in front of the couch (as opposed to putting them in the car) so that the housekeeper could get around our room. When we got back for lunch at 11:30, the housekeeper was not even at our room yet, and the owner was nowhere to be seen. We ate lunch in the upstairs dining area, and then went downstairs to pack up the car. We encountered the owner for the second time during our stay, and he was quite upset with us. “I thought we had a deal” he said to me. I told him that we left our room very neat, and that the housekeeper wouldn’t have had a problem getting around our room. He scoffed and rudely walked off. I thought to myself, “we are paying money to stay here right?” Already I got the feeling of being unwelcomed, but the worst was yet to come.
That afternoon, my sister skipped skiing and instead hung around the hotel. At one point after our room was completely vacated, he approached her, and started complaining that we were inconsiderate guests. She defended our actions, and rattled off the number of issues/oddities that we found surprising about the hotel. Without going into a word-for-word playback, he called her spoiled and stupid. Mind you this is a middle-aged man speaking belligerently to his hotel guest, a 24-year told girl. Shocked, she immediately left the premises to avoid further harassment.
Finally, a quick word on the ski-“out” location: although the lodge is certainly ski-in (down the 4 o’clock run), ski-out is a bit more time consuming. First, after getting dressed in all the gear, you have to walk up approximately 20 stairs to get to 4 o’clock run. Then, you ski/board about 100 or 150 yards down to the parking lot in town. You have to take your gear off, go down a flight of steps and then up a flight of steps, walk through the parking lot (another 50-75 yards), and get on the gondola. From there, you are dropped off at the base of either Peak 7 or Peak 8. This whole process can take 20-30 minutes, and although you don’t have to drive anywhere to access the mountain, it’s not as convenient as advertised.
I’ve never written a review on tripadvisor.com before, and it’s my belief that people mostly write very negative or very positive reviews. Despite the standard accommodations at this hotel, I want to qualify this as a very negative review. We collectively have skied most of the mountains in Colorado, staying at this caliber/rated type of inn/hotel every time. We have never, ever been treated more rudely, with more contempt, and felt like we were unwelcomed than when we stayed at this place

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Skiway Lodge? Share your experiences!