“Breck Inn Rocks! Great staff and service. Can't beat the price and value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Breck Inn

You added Breck Inn to your Saves list
Breck Inn
11078 N. CO Highway 9, P.O. Box 568, Breckenridge, CO 80424   |
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Breckenridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Breck Inn Rocks! Great staff and service. Can't beat the price and value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Brecks Inn for 4 days. We were looking for budget accommodations, so our expectations were very low from the get go. We stayed there as part of a Timeshare Vacation Package which included a mandatory sales presentation/tour. I don’t usually provide feedback on TripAdvisor, but I felt the need to for this “hotel” (Inn) in order to hopefully help out others who might be as hesitant as we were to stay here due to older reviews on this place. I will be as honest as possible and provide a summarized list of both the pros/cons at the end of this review for those that don’t want to read all the details. IMPORTANT TO NOTE, this is a “budget” hotel, so I will review and rate it as such.

Special Request and Check-in: I had made my reservations over a month and a half in advance for the Breck Inn. I requested a particular room on the second floor as far away as possible from the hustle/bustle of other guests. I was told that they could not guarantee any special requests, but they would do their best. I called several times in advance making sure they had my request on file. The night before my visit, I called one last time to confirm, only to be told that the particular room I requested was already taken and wouldn’t be available until two days into our stay. How disappointing that was. Upon check-in the next day, I had already gotten over not having my requested room so I was not as frustrated as I would have been. Michelle, the Front Desk Clerk, was patient enough to personally show me the two different rooms they did have available: one room was on the second floor with two queen beds and a balcony, and the other available room was on the first floor with a King size bed and a couch/no balcony. The room on the first floor was literally only 20 feet away from the front desk and right across from the dining room. No doubt this was going to be the noisiest room in the house, but since it was just my wife and I, we thought it would be nice to have the King Size bed, and besides, we were told that we could switch to our requested room when it became available. To make a long story short, this room totally fit our needs and it actually turned out to be very convenient being so close to the dining room and our car. I was actually quite amazed at how quiet it was, even though the location appeared to be terrible. Sure, there were times when we could hear people at the front desk talking, but for whatever reason, we were never awoken at night or early in the morning. In fact, we stayed in this room the entire visit, not having any regrets at all at the end of our stay. Check-in was a bit slow as there was only one front desk clerk working and several people checking in at the same time.

Hotel and the Accomodations. Keep in mind, this place is actually called an “Inn” and not a hotel. I would consider the Breck Inn more of a quaint motel, but with the rooms accessed from the inside rather than the outside like your typical motel. It was tastefully painted on both the outside and the inside and because of that it did indeed give it an appearance of a quaint and cozy little “Inn”. The lobby was small, but once again, perfect for our needs and was comfortably decorated with couches/TV/and a fireplace as I recall… simple, but adequate. The rooms were also a bit on the small side, but by no means too small. I can honestly say that they were extremely clean and no maintenance problems or any major wear/tear. Bathrooms had room for just a toilet and a full size shower, but remember, this isn’t a Hyatt, so what more do you need. The water pressure was adequate and the water was always hot when you needed it. The tub was clean and the shower heads were fully functional and actually quite nice. I liked the fact that the sink was outside the bathroom..much more convenient and made the bathroom not feel so small. The carpets were a bit worn, but not dirty (I hear that they will be remodeling in April 2012 with also new carpets being installed). As far as I’m concerned, the walls were not too thin, as we NEVER heard any guests thru the walls on either side of us. I was told that it was a full house that weekend, so those rooms must have been occupied. The door was a bit on the thin side and we could hear the lobby noise at times, but even being right across from the dining room, there just wasn’t a lot of irritating noise for some reason. The lighting in the rooms could have been better, but it wasn’t unbearable. Rooms had a nice flat screen TV mounted on the walls, a table with two chairs, and even a small refrigerator. Overall, a totally decent room.

The Location: The Breck Inn is more or less the first establishment you come to as you drive into town. It’s actually right on Main St, but on the very edge of all the activity. The walk to town is a bit far during winter conditions in my opinion, but it is possible. We had a rental car, but during the day, we never had to use it. To our surprise, the Breck Inn had a large private shuttle bus that was available all day until 6 pm. There were no scheduled times to go to different locations, which was the best part about it. You actually just call the driver’s cell phone and he comes and picks you up and takes you pretty much wherever you want to go in town, within reason of course. The driver’s name was Tsetso and was such a nice, young fellow. He was friendly and polite at all times, and provided us with a wealth of information about the area, hotel, etc. Tsetso also doubled as front desk clerk when not on the road, and always asked us if there was anything we needed. He was kind of like the Breck Inn’s Concierge guy. As a side note, the longest time we ever had to wait to be picked up somewhere was no more than 10 minutes. Our rental car definitely came in handy for our evening trips into town, but once again, I was totally satisfied with the location overall. The Breck Inn is a very close walk to the Gondola, which will get you to the ski lifts. But with Tsetso, and the shuttle at your “Breck In Call” who needs the Gondola to get you to the slopes. Just call Tsetso’s cell phone and he will drive you right to the base of the peak just steps away from the lift. For me, this was an economical ski-in/ski-out scenario. I even wore my ski boots out of my room.

Staff: The staff was the main reason we rated the Breck Inn as high as we do. The girls at the front desk (Michelle and Cesiah) were always so nice and helpful. They were professional, courteous, knowledgeable and pleasant. What more could you want. We felt totally at home with them. I think the small size of the Breck Inn was actually an advantage in some ways. The staff was multi-tasking and jumped in whenever/wherever they needed to be, whether that was keeping the lobby clean, stocking the dining room refreshments, acting as a concierge, etc.

Bonuses: OK, so the price we paid for the room was so reasonable as compared to other places in Breckenridge, who ever thought there would be any “freebies”. But there was. The Dining Room had a free (that’s right, FREE) breakfast. No, nothing extravagant, but come on, what more could you ask for in a place like this. You can make yourself a fresh waffle, in addition to: donuts, granola bars, cereal, bagels, muffins, hard-boiled eggs, apples, fruit juices, etc. Best of all, they had a FREE coffee/Hot Chocolate machine available ALL day/night. This was one of the benefits of having our room right across from the Dining Room (Room #2 in case you are curious). Each evening we open our door, wander 20 feet across the hall, and serve ourselves a nice steaming hot chocolate to take back to bed. Don’t forget, other bonuses included in the price of the room are the free shuttle, hot tub (we never used it), free wireless internet, and a great staff!

Last but not least..the Presentation: As I mentioned earlier, a Timeshare Presentation and a tour of the Grand Lodge on Peak 7 was necessary as part of our package. Honestly, having done a few timeshare presentations in the past, we were not exactly looking forward to this. But let me assure you, whether you are interested in becoming a Member or not, it was nowhere as stressful as we thought it would be. In fact, it turned out to be a pleasurable experience…yes, I did say pleasurable. I can assure you, there were no pressure tactics here, and in fact, our Sales Agent Drew turned out to be a very nice gentleman. He was knowledgeable about what he had to offer, explained it clearly, but at no times did he push us to a point where we felt uncomfortable. Even after we decided not to become a member, he left us professionally with a handshake, a smile, and some great recommendations which gave us an awesome ending to our trip to Colorado. Also worth mentioning, it was nice to see the Grand Lodge on Peak 7. It was quite an impressive place! Beautiful accommodations, views and you can literally walk right out the door to the ski lift! Nice!

So, in summary:

Cons:
1. Our requested room was not available upon check-in, although they made every effort to accommodate us later in the stay when it did become available. I suggest you call 2 to 3 days in advanced if you do have any special requests. Our mistake was calling one week in advance.
2. The Breck Inn only has a handful of rooms with King sized beds, and those rooms are only located on the first floor with no balcony. The second floor rooms with two queen size beds have balcony’s that are not really private. The balcony doesn’t have any privacy divider from the one beside it.
3. If you’re expecting accommodations similar to a Marriott or Hyatt, this place is definitely not for you.
4. Location is on the outskirts of town. Still walkable though when the weather isn’t bad. Quick 5 minute drive with car.

Pros:
1. Awesome, friendly, helpful staff! Being a smaller place, you will see the same staff every day. They jump in and help wherever/whenever needed.
2. Cozy/quaint accommodations.
3. Free wireless internet, breakfast and shuttle. The shuttle was almost like having your own taxi on standby for you. Coffee/hot chocolate/juices available 24x7. WOW!
4. Wine & Cheese reception on Friday evening. Seriously!
5. If you stay at the Breck Inn as part of the Timeshare Vacation Package, don’t expect a high pressure presentation. They were even flexible on which day you want to attend.
6. New Management really turned this place around as compared to older reviews you might have read.
7. Budget friendly, but by no means a dive!
8. Did I mention an awesome staff (Tsetso, Michelle, Cesiah)
9. Refrigerator in room. A Microwave oven is available in Dining area 24x7
10. Nice views of distant mountains/peaks.
11. Quick walk to Gondola.
12. Ski rental shop right next door to hotel. Great ski rental prices!
13. The bed was quite comfortable in my opinion.
14. If you stay as part of the Vacation Package, you can include ski lift tickets into the price for an excellent value.

Room Tip: Room #2 on first floor close to Lobby, the Exit and most importantly, the Dining Room for free break...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
CustomerServiceDept, General Manager at Breck Inn, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share this extremely extensive review! You have indeed been very thorough and we are extremely grateful for your kind comments.

We must first apologize that we were not able to accommodate your initial request for your room. Though we cannot ever guarantee a particular room, we will always do our best to meet any requests that are made. I am glad that Michelle was able to show you a couple of options to ensure that we found you the best possible room for you. It is no trouble on our part to make certain you are comfortable for the duration of your stay.

We are glad that you enjoyed the convenience of our new shuttle service. We admit that we are still working out some kinks in the system, but we are pleased to be offering the service. Though we are only able to offer a limited schedule, Friday through Monday, we find that it certainly helps to reduce the stress of parking in Breckenridge. We will be evaluating the success of the program at the end of this ski season, with the hope that we will be able to continue the shuttle service year round.

As for our rooms, we work endlessly to ensure that they are clean and well maintained. We have replaced various pieces of furniture that were showing their wear and are always looking for something to clean. As you mentioned, we will be continuing our upgrades this coming spring. This will include new paint, carpet, and lighting throughout the building as we hope to address some of the concerns that have been identified. When all is said and done, nearly every surface of the Breck Inn will have been touched in some way.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share this review. We do truly appreciate any feedback that we receive and we are excited to continue our improvements of the Breck Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed here with my wife and her mom and step-dad as part of one of those deals for a "property management" for the new Grand Lodge at Peak 7. I say this because I think a large portion of the people staying here were specifically there on similar business. But as far as this place goes, it was a good hotel with nice decor, very friendly staff, a great shuttle, and free continental breakfast.

The rooms were spacious enough for the 2 queen beds, and the furnishing were contemporary and new. Everything was comfortable, and the views from the balcony (we were on the 2nd floor of the 2 story building) were amazing! We could see the mountains and ski slopes in a near panoramic view to the West. We went skiing for two of the days, and they let us check-in early which made it a great base-camp with their shuttle to the slopes rather than having to find parking. Breakfast was good, with waffles and the usual assortment of continental fare. Additionally, there was a good, large hot tub as well as a nice lobby area complete with fireplace and several couches & chairs.

The best part was how friendly the staff was. They were very helpful in all regards, but particularly Tsotsey (spelling?) who worked the front desk and shuttle bus.

The only thing that kept me from rating this higher is that the insulation out the patio doors to the balcony was not really too sound proof. I could hear road traffic and any of the people getting in and out of their cars in the evening way too much. But this was a minor inconvenience, not a major one.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
CustomerServiceDept, General Manager at Breck Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with the Breck Inn! We are always working to ensure that the Breck Inn is a place where anyone can enjoy a nice, relaxing get away.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Breckenridge. We will always try to accommodate a guest as soon as they arrive, though our standard check in time is not until 4:00. Even if a room is not yet ready, we are happy to store any vehicles and luggage so you can get your vacation started as soon as possible, even if it is just sinking into a chair in front of the fireplace.

We are glad you enjoyed the beautiful view from your room and we do acknowledge that the great view is offset to some degree by the highway and parking lot noise. The front desk is trained to make everyone aware of the noise and offer the backside of the building as an alternative. Fortunately, our backside does not look over a dumpster, but onto a nice wooded hillside. We are also looking to address the noise during our upcoming improvements by using a heavier drape. While our original intent is to provide a better light barrier, a heavy drape will also provide improved sound insulation as well. Our hope is this will allow a better night sleep, while maintaining the panoramic view.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We are thrilled that we were able to provide a great experience for you and hope that you will be back to stay with us again in the future so you can enjoy our ongoing improvements.
Denver, Co
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We had signed up for the timeshare presentation at Grand Lodge Peak 7. I have gone several times to timeshare presentations, and have in fact purchased a couple. One of them is in Breckenridge, as a matter of fact and is a truly nice place that gives us great joy every year. Each time, we've stayed in the place we're buying and it's usually the stay itself that motivates us to buy. I didn't even think to tripadvisor the Breck Inn after signing up because I assumed it would be nice. However, when I told a couple of my friends where we were going, they were amused. I quickly did look then and the reviews looked okay. I hoped the reviewers were right and my friends were wrong.

Boy, were my friends right!

We arrived late in the evening from Denver (where we live) and if it would have been a couple hours earlier, we would have turned around left. There was a heater/air conditioning unit in the room and it made the most remarkable noises! It kept us up all night even though fairly early on, we turned it off. The walls were literally so thin that we could hear people talking in normal voices to one another. Imagine the sound of kids shouting in the hallways! It was like they were in our room.

Our room was European hotel room tiny without the European hotel room charm. There was not one iota of charm to be had anywhere. There was a single small window. The bathroom was tiny, barely enough room for a single person to negotiate comfortably. The beds were super comfortable, but the heater racket canceled out the goodness. The "amenities" included a hot tub that was broken and a breakfast that lasted my teenage sons about one hour before they were hungry again.

When we woke up in the morning, I was in a mood most foul and I called the Grand Lodge people to inform them we would not be attending their timeshare meeting. In my present state of mind, I would not have purchased a bottle of water from them if I was dying of thirst. I ate the cost of the room for two nights and checked out. Interestingly, my sons were not dismayed at the idea they would not stay through Sunday. They were far more dismayed at the prospect of staying another night at the Breck Inn.

I think if you are on a budget and don't expect much, the Breck Inn would be fine. If you spent the entire time out of the room and would only use it for sleeping, this might be your place. However, if you were expecting a place to wind down from skiing/boarding, you will be greatly disappointed. There are much nicer places in town where you can enjoy a fire and a drink or use hot tubs. None of those things are present at the Breck Inn.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
CustomerServiceDept, General Manager at Breck Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Breck Inn. Though we are sorry to hear we were unable to meet your expectations, we do still appreciate this information so we can continue to improve.

Our engineering staff does inspect each unit prior to an arrival for any deficiencies. From light switches to hair dryers, the staff does a thorough inspection to ensure that everything is in proper working order. While inspecting the heaters, we ensure that the room is at a comfortable temperature and seems to be working while we are in the room. I regret that we have not been as vigilant looking for disruptive noises coming from the heater. Moving forward, I will ask our staff to turn the heater on and listen for any unusually noises during their pre-arrival inspections.

We have noted some confusion regarding our hot tub and the use of our cover. We keep the cover on the hot tub to help retain the heat, which has led some to believe that the tub is not working or is closed. We have altered our policies to better explain this at check in with the hopes that everyone is able to enjoy the hot tub. We were able to complete some extensive repairs to the hot tub during our offseason and have been enjoying a season free of mechanical problems.

While we have worked hard over the past year to improve our rooms, we agree that they still lack the traditional charm that is expected in a resort town such as Breckenridge. For the past several months we have been working with a tremendously talented designer to help us overcome this. With her help, we will be completing an extensive remodel of the Inn this coming spring. While we are still finalizing the finer details, new paint and carpet will grace the Inn this spring. We are confident that these improvements will bring the charm to the Breck Inn and guests will be able to relax in front of the fireplace in our redecorated lobby.

Again, we are sorry for the trouble that you experienced while staying with us. We are always working to improve ourselves and strive to address any problems immediately. We are sorry that you were not able to enjoy your full vacation with us, but hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future so you can enjoy the ongoing improvements we are making.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed here for a week in Dec of 2011. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Breck Inn. Rooms were clean, breakfast was free and great, its an easy walk across the street to catch the bus to the slopes. However, it is only a half mile walk to the gondola, which I ended up doing most mornings. There is a little park across the street you can cut through to walk to the gondola and it is an absolute gorgeous walk.

Staff was friendly and I constantly saw them cleaning up around the hotel.

It is no Ritz Carlton but it is definitely worth the money you spend for the room. Rooms were kept neat and clean, no flaws what-so-ever.

I had a room with a balcony and yes there is a little street noise, but the balcony and the view from the balcony is definitely worth getting the room with the balcony. The room next door was a family with kids, but I never heard any noise coming from their room, even when I knew they were in their room.

The only thing I didn't like about the hotel was the hot tub. It was tucked back in a corner under a roof and I wasn't sure if it was working or not because sometimes I saw people in it, and other times it had a cover on it like it was not working.

Overall, great stay and I will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: If you can deal with a lil street noise choose the rooms with a balcony, it comes with a great view...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
CustomerServiceDept, General Manager at Breck Inn, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at the Breck Inn! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Breckenridge.

Our housekeepers take pride in keeping the rooms as clean as possible and are glad to hear that their hard work is paying off. We are continuously working on improving our breakfast selection so we are able to offer something for everyone. Recently, we have added a small gluten free selection for those suffering from Celiac Disease, or for those who just like a blueberry muffin in the morning. As we find new items to offer, we do our best to create some space so our selection is always changing.

Though we are just a short walk to the gondola and across the street from the Summit Stage, we have also begun offering our own shuttle service on a limited schedule. Our schedule is subject to seasonal demands, but we are glad to offer an alternative ride to the ski slopes.
Our hot tub is located outdoors on the end of the building. Unfortunately our location and facility limit our options for a better location. As it is outdoors, we keep the cover on the hot tub to help it stay hot. We understand that this can lead to confusion and have recently revisited our check in process to make this clear.

Thank you again for sharing your review! We are always working to improve our facility and our service and hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon so you can enjoy our ongoing improvements.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We spent a week in the Breck Inn and are very happy that we chose that place. Very convenient location. Minutes from gondola and city center. Clean and comfortable room. Friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast selection. Free shuttle to slopes.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
CustomerServiceDept, General Manager at Breck Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts after your recent stay at the Breck Inn!

We take pride in the improvements we continue to make and are thrilled that you have enjoyed the results. Our goal is to be the cleanest and most friendly place that our guests will experience. We are always listening for ways to improve our breakfast selection and have recently been able to add a small gluten free selection for those suffering from Celiac Disease.

Our shuttle is the newest service that we began offering at the start of this year! We are thrilled to be able to offer this service Friday through Monday at this time. While hours are limited and subject to our seasonal demands, we hope that this service eases the burden of parking in Breckenridge.

Again, thank you for taking the time to complete this review. You can rest assured that we continue our work to improve the Breck Inn and, in my opinion, the best is yet to come.
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had a great stay at the Breck Inn this last weekend. We were in Breckenridge for the timeshare presentation at Grand Lodge Peak 7 and were put up at the Breck Inn. The room was very clean, extra big towels, and nice flat screen on the wall, table and 2 chairs with a small fridge and a balcony that overlooked all the mountains and ski runs. They had nice big beds and eco friendly recycle bins! The hot tub was nice too-very private.
The breakfast was nice with lots of coffee choices, cereal, fresh waffles, HB eggs, juices, donuts and bagels and recycle bins there too! Super great idea and hope this catches on! Staff was very courteous and helpful! Would go back again anytime! L&P

Room Tip: ask for 2nd floor facing the mountains
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
CustomerServiceDept, General Manager at Breck Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts after your stay at the Breck Inn!

We are happy to hear that you fully enjoyed your vacation and experience with our property. We take great pride in the service that we provide and work diligently to ensure that each and every person that stays with us has a fantastic vacation.

We are thrilled to know that you appreciated our green efforts! Not only do we have recycling bins in each room and in all of our common areas, we have also been participating in a local composting program. This program allows us to divert not only food scraps, but even dryer lint from the landfill! Our ultimate goal is to have a zero waste breakfast, where everything is either recycled or composted.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We can assure you that no matter how much we have improved over the past several months, we know that we can always do better and continue working to improve ourselves and our property.
Centennial, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

The Breck Inn is a nice small motel that is close enough to town but out of the congestion. We were in Breckenridge for the timeshare presentation at Grand Lodge and were put up at the Breck Inn. The rooms are small but clean and the furniture shows heavy use (lots of dings, dents, scratches). The small refrigerator was nice to have. The beds were comfortable and the towels were large and not scratchy! The continental breakfast was heavy on the sweet stuff, but also had bagels and hard boiled eggs. The staff was friendly and offered good suggestions for where to eat and hike. We also called for extra blankets and our tip was turned down! That's the first time we've ever had that happen. The motel also provides a large selection of board games that we enjoyed playing in the evening. The traffic on the road didn't bother us at night. Overall, this was a pretty good place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
CustomerServiceDept, Manager at Breck Inn, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your experience at the Breck Inn!
We are in the process of replacing the furniture at the Breck Inn and appreciate you noticing that it is time as well  We are so happy to hear that you could utilize the small refrigerator while you were staying at the Breck Inn and found the location ideal. We appreciate all of the feedback we receive as we improve the Breck Inn and every little bit of input helps us make the guest experience better. Now that the Breck Inn is under new management we have taken great pride in the friendly service that guests have noticed and come to expect. It is also one of our company's core standards to ensure each and every vacation is exceptional, with no mind to tips or gratuity and I am pleased to hear that the company policies were enforced.

We are currently brainstorming ideas to make the breakfast healthier with ideal options for our health conscious guests. Oatmeal, granola, and perhaps a fruit platter will now be included in the breakfast.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide us feedback!

Been to Breck Inn? Share your experiences!