“Well Worth the Challenge!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 29 Attractions in Breckenridge
Type: Trails
Attraction Details
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Well Worth the Challenge!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I had never really "hiked" before but my husband researched "trails" (and I use the term lightly!) and came up with this one. We had just arrived in Breckenridge the day before from the low level altitude of Oklahoma so there were times that we needed to catch our breath and let our heart rates settle. I am so glad that I let my husband talk me into hiking shoes because I'm not sure how I would have done without them--they were definitely needed! We hiked up to Twin Falls as well as to the lake. It was absolutely beautiful! I would love to do it again sometime!

Denver, CO
40 attraction reviews
“Great Intermediate 2-3hrs Hike at Rocky Mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

My husband and my first hike in Breckenridge. Drove from Denver Metro on I-70 on Sat, August 9, delayed about 45 minutes than estimated driving time due to the very heavy traffic jam w/out any constructions nor accidents. The trail head was about 15 minutes drive from down town Breckenridge, well signed, easily accessible, even thought McCullough Gulch Rd was dirt road w/ pot holes, the road was wide enough for us to drive safely by our Toyota Camry. No parking lot, no restroom at trailhead. Started hiking around 1:30pm, rain started lightly. felt a little bit chill wearing short sleeved T-shirt, light long sleeved shirt and rain poncho. The temperature sign in downtown Breckenridge indicated 62F. Rain stopped shortly after, but, the trail got muddy and slippery. Felt high altitude at beginning, but, started to feel OK while continuing and enjoyed moderately challenged trail upto the waterfalls loop. Open space available at the waterfalls for taking break. Didn't continue upto the lake due to the weather and returned. Made several short stops and 2 and half hours round hike for us w/out taking a break. When we arrived back at the trailhead around 4pm, suddenly it got dark and started to hail. It happened so quickly and it was a heavy hail storm. Recommended to prepare for sudden weather change and temperature drop, layered clothing, rain gear and water proof hiking shoes and start early.

CA
“Take your breath away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Just back from the hike. What a wonderful way of spending the day w/ the family. After having hiked several national parks, I would consider this between easy and moderate level, and more on the mild moderate side for people used to living on low altitude area (we are from So. California). Most part of the hike is rocky, so people w/ bad knees beware, especially for the return hike. We loved the variety of scenery offered on this hike - waterfalls, mountain range, & glacial lake. However, make sure you bring your insect/bug repellent, or those mosquitos will eat you alive! We thought the high altitude would be too windy and too cold for them, but we were SOOOOOO wrong. Luckily we came across a very nice couple who were prepared and kindly shared their bug spray with the other hikers. Would definitely recommend this trail. Lastly, there's no toilets available along the trail, and it's about 2.5-3 hr hike, so plan accordingly. ;)

Warsaw, Indiana
15 attraction reviews
“Great view of falls.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Not a really long trail, but definitely a workout. Up all the way. Once at the lake there are still more places to walk around. Would go again.

Boulder, CO.
4 attraction reviews
“Lovely hike”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The area is magnificent. The trail was busy, though. Too many people. At times we were backed up on the trail. Breathtaking timber line and waterfall views from 11,500 ft elevation.