“Ski-in convenience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Thunder Lodge

Save Saved
You added Mountain Thunder Lodge to your Saves list
Mountain Thunder Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Mountain Thunder Drive, PO Box 8269, Breckenridge, CO 80124   |
Special Offer
Book now and save 30%
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Breckenridge
Tampa, Florida
“Ski-in convenience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed just one night at this property in Breckenridge for some Spring Break skiing. As only half our group was skiing, plan was to use town home and resort amenities for non-skiers. That plan didn't work as well as hoped, with only a 30-minute check-out time extension and the refusal of the front desk to secure a shuttle ride to related property at the base of Peak 8. The literature in the room and website encourage guests to enjoy the amenities at One Ski Hill Place, but then they won't take you there? That was a major let-down. Yes, they offered to shuttle us over to the gondola, but people afraid of heights do not want to ride the gondola.

Upon check-in, "upgraded" to a 3-bedroom condo instead of 2-room town home. Condos don't have their own washer/dryer, and the townhomes have private garage, but otherwise similar amenities. Condo was fairly clean and comfortable. If we had turned on the ceiling fan, would have been showered in dust. You might want the ceiling fan on to help with the overheating. You have no control over the room temp other than opening windows.

View of the mountains from balcony was spectacular. The fake plants/flowers in the condo mostly look tired and dated, but other decor fine. Free Wi-Fi worked fine for family with multiple laptops, smartphones, iPads all going at once. Allotted a ski locker in the lobby as they request no skis/bicycles to be stored in rooms. Nice rack of hooks by condo entrance for hanging coats, with bench for putting on footwear, very good idea to keep those muddy shoes corralled by the door.

Although you have to cross a fairly busy street (or hop on the ski-in trail, which has stairs to an under-street tunnel), it is an easy walk to the downtown area with lots of shopping and dining options. Dinner at Blue River Bistro was delicious, even tho sat in noisy bar area. Breckenridge is a charming town to visit, whether you ski or not.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Ocean City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The resort is in a great location. Walking distance to the gondola or town but shuttles always available if you don't want to walk. It was nice to be able to ski back to the room.

We reserved a 2 bedroom condo. The room was somewhat dated. Not enough drawers in the bedrooms instead there sat big armoires that once held big tvs. The tvs had been replaced with flat screens placed on top of the units. The old armoires stand in every room. These armoires should be replaced with furniture that had more drawers. The closets were small and cluttered with the condos storage. Closets should have been emptied of storage items. It housed Old pictures, equipment, boxes ect. Barely enough room to hold the luggage that were nested inside each other to fit. Closet fit one large bag in it comfortably. The bags could not fit under Beds as the beds were to low to the ground to slide luggage underneath. The 2 small closets were the only option to store luggage.
Only 3 drawers in the armoire were in each bedroom. We were on a week long ski vacation with 3 kids and 2 adults . We had a lot of stuff with use. 6 drawers were not NOT nearly enough space for all our winter clothing .

Also housekeeping seemed to come every other day and not always a full clean. Wished they did a full clean every day. Not sure if that's the policy.

Controlling the heat was miserable and impossible!!! The 1st two days we set the heat on the lowest setting and it was like a sauna. We then turned it off completely for the entire time. I'm not sure if it was because we were in the main building but it always felt like it was in the 90's .. Horribly hot! We would ski for the day and come back to condo to find an uncomfortable hotbox. It was like walking into a sweat lodge. We would need to open the balcony door and all the widows for about 15-20 minutes to cool it off. The condo was very well insulated from outside noise if the balcony door and windows were shut, however this was not possible. It was so hot in the unit we were forced to leave windows open every night which lead to very noisy evenings. We had the heat off and it was unbelievably hot!! NEVER felt anything like this!!

As we were skiing everyday and with small children we would have the kids in bed by 9pm. I realize this is early but kids need sleep. Noise wouldn't have been a problem if I could have shut the windows. The children were awakened almost every night at midnight 1 am or 2am by people walking and laughing outside.
Please note the laughing people didn't do anything wrong. If I didn't have 3 small children I would have been right there with them probably laughing the loudest at 2am but alias I was spending my nights trying to rock an overtired cranky 2 1/2 yr old back to sleep.

I think this property could be excellent if they updated the furniture and fixed the heating issue. They have the location and a wonderful friendly helpful staff they just need to make a few tweaks. If I knew they fixed the heating issues and added some drawers I would stay there again in a heartbeat. If not, I would try another location when traveling with children.

Hope this helps!

Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We took a family 5 there including 3 girls under 14. Overall I'd say it was "good". Not sure I'd stay there again but I MIGHT. The rooms were spacious....we had two bedrooms in the min lodge with a kitchen efficiency. First thing to know....we were on the 4th floor and our space stayed "smoking hot". No central air so we left the patio door and windows open all the time. This kept s cold a lot....but it was better than burning up.

Staff is amazing. They were highly responsive. 110%!

The shuttle was good, although we were left twice in situations where we called the shuttle and they no showed. I understand its possibly an isolated situation. But that was our experience.

I liked the ski in. I wish getting to a ski lift was easier. The shuttle to the gondola with kids is not easy....but we knew that. You can't really walk it with kids.

The hot tub and pools were great. Kids loved them.

Housekeeping was "sporadic". And we struggled with dirty towels and left wondering what their schedule was. I'd say the housekeeping was below average.

Overall.....I'd go again....but I wasn't won over to it being a return visit.

But not a waste either.

Room Tip: The Lowe the floor the less likely the rising heat will keep your room hot.
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have been meaning to write a review of Mountain Thunder Lodge after I had such an amazing experience there last September. I booked my family last minute for 3 nights. i wasn't sure what to expect. From the moment we drove up, we were in awe. The staff and property is breath taking. We had a 2 bedroom that was huge, clean and comfortable. I have traveled many places, but this was by far the best. I will be returning very soon. HIGHLY recommend. You can't beat the location. It's just a short walk into town. My husband found the best Cigar and novelties shop right down the street called Slopeside Cigars. We bought back some of the most unique gifts and my husband enjoyed fresh Cigars on our patio in the evening. Great place!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We booked this place because of high reviews and it didn't disappoint. It is the perfect location if you want easy access to gondola AND Main Street. The shuttle service picked us up within minutes and were always very friendly. We stayed in the townhomes which were great accommodations. Only disappointment was that our view could have been better- it was mostly of the other townhomes and garage. I would definitely read up on altitude sickness before you go to Breckenridge. We had 4 adults and 3 kids and all of us experienced trouble sleeping, headaches and queasiness. 2 of our kids were severely ill for most of the trip!

Saratoga Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent 2 nights in a one bedroom suite. Booking was easy and very helpful. They got me my rental car and lift tickets as well. When we arrived early, they were able to accommodate us immediately and we got in a full day on the slopes. The room was large, comfortable and quiet. On site staff provided excellent service. We would book here again! Two small problems, the rooms are hot with no ability to control temperature except to open window. The sofa bed was un-sleepable. They were able to give us an extra mattress.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Awesome. Large apartment-style rooms. Full kitchen with all cooking equipment. Free use of communal washers/dryers. Convenient location close to town and BreckConnect gondola. No A/C which shouldn’t usually be an issue, but we happened to visit during record-breaking high temperatures (in June). Only a short walk to the centre of town. One downside is that there is a mandatory resort fee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Thunder Lodge? Share your experiences!